Green beans didn't sprout - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Help,

I planted my garden about 10 days ago. I planted about 50 green bean seeds. I only have about 8-10 green plants that came up. Will the others still sprout or did I get a dud batch of seeds? I've watered faithfully and we've gotten plenty of rain so it shouldn't be an issue of not enough water.

Any ideas?

This is my first garden that I've planted without adult supervision (my parents who can grow anything). I've always thought that green beans were pretty easy to grow?

Thanks,

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Beginner

You could have overwatered it. You shouldn't "faithfully water" when you're getting "plenty of rain." Also, depending on where you live (if you're 914 as in Westchester county) it's been a cool spring and it might not have been warm enough with all the rain and stuff for your seeds to germinate. It's not too late to replant though.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Beginner

I agree with Rabid Child. Over watering can be the problem or it could be that the soil is too cold. Beans need warmer soil than peas to sprout, and if they get wet and cold they can rot before they even start-

Here is my favourite method of starting off beans in a cold climate: I chit them by soaking them over night, layering them in damp paper towels and putting them in a warm place (over the fridge or a radiator for instance), making sure they stay moist but not soaked. Then, when the first roots start peaking out, I carefully plant them in newspaper pots, keeping them in the warm place. It's easy to damage the roots so planting should be done carefully. When the shoots appear, put them in a well lit spot until the first few true leaves show. Then plant them out a couple of weeks after the last frost. The paper pots are cheaper and more environmentally friendly than peat and you can plant the whole thing, so the roots aren't disturbed.

Here's a You Tube video from Dave's garden about paper pots. I love this method. So cheap and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qPAV-LDnM
#4 Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Beginner

This year my sister and I planted sugar snap peas on our own, and they are growing great. You may have over watered them, but ours took a long time to sprout. I know it's a different kind of bean, but just give them some time. Ours took a while to sprout too. Good luck with your garden!
#5 Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I planted some wax beans, and only one plant came up. I think it was too wet. It's rained a lot and that section of my garden is pretty shaded, plus I have black plastic down to keep the weeds away. Anyway, too much moisture, and probably what happened to your beans too. I replanted yesterday.
#6 Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Beginner

I've been gardening for years and had the same problem this spring. I finally sprouted a few bean indoors, where I could control their environment a little more, and transplanted them outside when they were doing well.
#7 Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Beginner

I thought my beans were not going to sprout, but I think I planted the seeds a little too deep in the soil...it took almost two weeks but they sprouted just fine!!

You could try digging one up to see what, if anything, is going on. If it looks like it started to sprout, try adding less dirt of top of it...that's what I did with a few of mine and now they have sprouted.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#8 Old 07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Beginner

I planted many bean plants. I thought they'd never come up, but after we finally had a couple days of hot weather and a good rain, up they came!

this year our growing season got started really late. I'm hoping for a long warm autumn.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page