Green manure - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM

My soil is fantastically good, so what I really want it for is to keep weeds out.

I'll rotivate crops and will enrich the soil with home made compost, so for this year it's as a weed supressant.

What would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuckle View Post

My soil is fantastically good, so what I really want it for is to keep weeds out.

I'll rotivate crops and will enrich the soil with home made compost, so for this year it's as a weed supressant.

What would you recommend?

Honeysuckel ...I dont really understand what you are asking
#3 Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 AM

I want to grow a green manure just so that something is growing in the plot - which will help stop weeds growing, the soil blowing away, and keep moisture in.

Many green manures enrich the soil with something in particular... if you've been drawing a nutrient out of the soil with a particular crop for instance.

Buckwheat is good for calcium, clover survives in poor soil and damp conditions and there are loads of others .... I'll probably go for Hungarian Grazing Rye, but wanted to know if other growers rated something else better.

I don't need to enrich the soil... I just want a cheap "filler".
#4 Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Ahhh - a cover crop! I've never heard it called green manure before.
#5 Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Doh! I've just noticed that the first half of my original posting is missing! It was the important bit ... I must have accidently deleted it before posting.

What a dim wit!
#6 Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

^ LOL

What you have suggested is good you might want to consider mustard as well it , puts nitrogen back into the soil and you can eat it as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page