Something is eating my corn - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Beginner

What sort of animal would eat corn stalks?! They're only about a foot tall and don't have any corn on them or anything, but an animal is gnawing at my corn stalks. One of them is completely destroyed. Any ideas of what it might be and how to discourage it?

I live in the North East US if that helps at all.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Beginner

I bet it's a groundhog, woodchuck, or some squirrels. They eat small green plants like CRAZY. They're evil! >:] If you live close enough to woods it might even be deer, they do it too.
#3 Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Beginner

I live in the city. People are surprised when I tell them I have a garden at all.

So what do you scare little lawn rodents away with? A scarecrow would be too tall.

#4 Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Beginner

I can't vouch for the efficacy of any, but: fake snakes, mothballs, cayenne pepper around the plants, dirty dog or cat hair placed around the garden. I've heard about all of these but never had to use them personally.
#5 Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Beginner

OH! I have PLENTY of cat hair in my house! LOL!

#6 Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Beginner

maybe a miniature scarecrow??
#7 Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

What sort of animal would eat corn stalks?! They're only about a foot tall and don't have any corn on them or anything, but an animal is gnawing at my corn stalks. One of them is completely destroyed. Any ideas of what it might be and how to discourage it?

I live in the North East US if that helps at all.

Don't know what bugs and slugs you have where you are

But slugs and snails (if you have them ) will go for young tender plants like corn . They will be well hidden , you can see them at night with a torch , they will be on your plants .Or look under any thing that is on top of the ground during the day in the area , they will be hiding there
#8 Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Beginner

maybe a raccoon? a couple days ago my brother saw one in our backyard at midnight and the next day a couple stalks of corn where eaten
#9 Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Beginner

You live in a city? And have a garden? CUTE!

If it IS little rodents, which it must be, I bet you could get a few pretty colored pinwheels that will scare them off. Place a few around the garden. Maybe get some wind chimes?
#10 Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Beginner

I live in Albany... capital of NY. :P It's a rather lame city (having grown up near NY City), but a city nontheless. I have a small side yard and I've taken pretty much the entire thing over with plants.

I talked to my dad last night, and he suggested mixing cayenne pepper, vegetable oil, and some water in the blender and spraying down the plants with the mix. Spicy plants! No one will want to eat them. I like the pinwheel idea too. I'll have to see if I can find a few. I'm down about 3 corn stalks now :\\ One of the rows wasn't doing great to begin with. I hope I have enough for them to pollinate!

#11 Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Beginner

I was going to say deer, but obviously probably not if you live in the city. If the corn doesn't take up much room you could build a wire fence around it, at least for the time being or something.

Also we had a bird pinwheel that scared off whatever creatures were after our flowers.
#12 Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Beginner

It could be anything if you are in the city. We have had raccoons, rats, possums, and neighborhood cats...so far the squirrels are the worst. I have found success with the cayenne pepper. Lately I have had the most success since some mockingbirds have built a nest in my yard- they are protecting some baby birds and keeping everything out of my yard quite well!
#13 Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Last night we had a really bad thunderstorm (3 trees down within my half block and a power line) and now all my corn is leaning over. Not quite 45 degrees, but it's definitely doing a fair leaning tower of pizza impression. I hope it straightens itself back out again. :\\

#14 Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Squirrels???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page