squirrels eating zucchini blossoms - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM

I have eight zucchini plants in my backyard garden, which I am doing for the first time this year. They are doing wonderfully and bloomed many blossoms (I am in central Florida, FYI), which have all been eaten! I'm pretty sure the culprit was squirrels. Has anyone dealt with this before, and how did you stop it? I read about spraying cayenne pepper mixed with water on the plants to deter squirrels...any experience with this, or other suggestions?

Will my plants bloom again this year, or is that it? Worried...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Banned

They should re bloom it depends if the growing tip has being eaten out .

As for the squirrel problem ....we dont have them down under , apart from putting a mesh cage over them to keep them out . Is there a garden club in your area or a garden center , maybe they can help with advice
#3 Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM

I agree with the mesh cage. We have done that in the past. I'm sure they will bloom again. Zucchini is hardy. Our best pest deterrent has been our dogs. They chase the possums, rats, and birds away but thankfully they aren't very good hunters.

#4 Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 AM

I have customers swear by putting dirty dog & cat hair around their garden to deter pests. Stop by your local groomer & ask for some if you don't have enough of your own.
#5 Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM

I have netting over my garden to keep out unwanted creatures.
#6 Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM

I have heard of some people having two gardens. They protect one as much as possible and leave the other to rabbits, squirrels, insects, whatever wants to eat on it.
#7 Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM

We live in Wisconsin, and there are tons of squirrels in our yard. They have never bothered our zucchinis (or other vegetables.) Maybe it's because of the nut trees we have around here, I'm not sure. Are you sure it's the squirrels?

If not sure of any ways to prevent pests. Maybe some of the other suggestions listed above would help.
#8 Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM

Thank you for all the tips. I will look for netting this weekend...where is a good place for that? I don't have any pets, btw.
#9 Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieq View Post

Thank you for all the tips. I will look for netting this weekend...where is a good place for that? I don't have any pets, btw.

hardware stores (dont know what you call them in your country) have it , and some garden centers . I dont know if you have white butterfly problems but if you get 1/4 inch mesh you can inter plant lettuce etc between the zucchini's and have pest control of them via the mesh as well .
#10 Old 05-19-2007, 09:11 AM

I got my netting at Home Depot.
#11 Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Use Metal Fencing or Mesh

From personal experience last year (2015 growing season), squirrels will chew through plastic fencing and/or mesh. Use wire/metal fencing/mesh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page