I think I killed my Wandering Jew... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Beginner

I got it in June and potted it and it seemed to be doing fine. I just looked at it a few days ago and noticed that most of the plant was rotten and brown, and only look somewhat healthy at the ends. Just touching it made it break off in certain spots. It was small when I got it, so it's not very big yet. I took off all of the brown parts, and am left with barely anything, nothing over three inches. I don't know what happened to it...the only thing I can think off is that I might not have watered it as much as I should have, but I thought it was one of those "hard to kill" plants. Any tips or ideas on how to get it back to life? Or is it probably just going to die?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Beginner

No advice here... For a moment, though, I thought this was going to be a bizarre religious thread. (And that this was a wierd metaphor.)
#3 Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Beginner

When my mom's plants and flowers start dying, I water them up to twice a day and they'll usually pick back up.

I suggest trying to water it more often and see if it will liven up.
#4 Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Beginner

You might even be over-watering it. If there are no holes in the bottom of the pot for water to drain out of the excess water can rot at the bottom and kill your plant. Just a thought.
#5 Old 07-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Beginner

If it is a total loss take off any healthy stems, start them by putting the end ina small jar of water and placing the jar on the window-- when roots appear, re-pot.

most houseplants do not like direct sunlight. many need to go totally dry before re-watering. The wandering Jew does both-- here is a decent set of instructions (but like all sites they are trying to sell you something)

http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/jewzeb.htm
#6 Old 07-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Beginner

Thanks guys...it's not in direct light, it hangs in a corner in the kitchen, so it gets indirect light from the windows. I'm sure that I didn't over-water it, and it does have drainage holes. I did take the healthy parts and put them into the pot again, but should I put them in something seperate and wait for roots and then re-pot, or is it okay to just put them in the pot?
#7 Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

No advice here... For a moment, though, I thought this was going to be a bizarre religious thread. (And that this was a wierd metaphor.)

Heh. I too, was singing "once there were three wandering Jews" in my head (okay, out loud)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Beginner

I first went to 'google' it and there were multiple links on stories of someone who was actually called the Wandering Jew in Christian folklore!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#9 Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Beginner

Don't put the remaining shoots back in the same pot they were in, try rooting them in water as Gita suggests, and meanwhile dump out the soil in the pot and give the pot a thorough scrubbing, and replace the soil with brand-new potting mix, just in case there were fungi or bacteria in the soil that were contributing to the dying/rotting.
#10 Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Kiz
Beginner

I thought Wandering Jew was unkillable (hence the name). It'll come back. The trick is to root out every single remenant, sprinkle weed killer everywhere. Be vigilant in plucking out every trace that pops it's head out of the ground. Plant other things in it's place. Pull out the damned new shoots again. Guaranteed, next year the Wandering Jew will once again have taken over the garden. Trust me, I've done this one many times By the way, that plant is considered a noxious weed in this country. That means it must be controlled (ie eliminated) from your property, may not be sold or knowingly propigated or distribuated.

When I was little I thought it was Wandering Dew. Heh.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 07-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Beginner

One person's weed is another person's precious houseplant...
#12 Old 07-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Beginner

Okay, I have three "survivors" that I put in small jars with water on the window ledge. I'll let you guys know what happens and hopefully have good news! I actually really like the plant and think it's pretty, and am hoping to start other plants from it if it survives.
#13 Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Okay, now I only have two survivers, one died. But, nothing is happening to them. There aren't any roots growing. How long does it take for that to happen?
#14 Old 07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Rooting can take a long time. Some woman I work with has had little bits of the same plant on the windowsill here for weeks, and I can't see anything happening in the root department. Sometimes it's better to just start over.

My own experience with this plant is that it can't stand "wet feet" - i.e.,the roots can't stand being in wet soil. They rot easily if they stay wet. Good drainage is key.

You mentioned it's a hanging houseplant, but you say it has good drainage. Does it really? I mean, can excess water drip out the bottom of the pot, or does it drain from an inner pot into an outer pot? If the latter is the case, then it might not be good enough drainage. (Even though the excess water might drain out of the inner pot, it will be stuck in the outer pot, near the roots, where it will just create a yucky moist environment, perfect for root rot.)

I don't think the idea of watering it twice in a day is a good one. This plant prefers life on the drier side. Not cactus dry, but not 'living in a giant mud puddle' wet either. I aqgree with the poster who said to let the soil get somewhat dry between waterings. Again, not 'parched earth dry' - but wait until it looks dry-ish before giving it a drink.

Kiz- FYI - the Wandering Jew is not considered a noxious weed in the entire country (assuming you mean the US). I live in PA, and you can buy the plant in stores, propagate it, grow it outdoors, etc. Plants have different restrictions in deifferent parts of the country. Another popular plant here is Oxalis triangularis (the green ones are often sold under the name 'shamrock plant', but I like the purple ones better) - I understand this is a hated weed in California. But we actually buy it and plant it on purpose here - and there's no black market for plants - these plants are available in major stores.

So, yes, she's trying to get this plant to grow on purpose. It can be a very pretty plant, if you stop thinking of it as a weed.
#15 Old 07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Thanks...it's a kinda of pot where there's a little thing underneath it. I actually didn't water it all that much, so I don't know why it all started to rot. I'll give it a few more weeks to grow roots, I just hope it will!
#16 Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

They have roots!! Wow, just a day or so ago there wasn't any, but now there is! So, I took out the soil from the pot and will put new stuff in...I hope it works!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page