• 1 Post By Mojo
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 3 Post By rileyblue
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion

#1 Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

'Tis the Season

Spring fever has snatched me up and has me planning all kinds of things to grow this year. Would love to hear what you've got growing on, too!!

My first seed babies popped through the dirt yesterday, some yellow pear and red cherry tomatoes.

I found some old plastic zip-up cases that bed linens and comforters are often sold in and placed the seed trays in them for a greenhouse effect. Perfect!

We also have some purple cabbage, radishes, sweet onion, leeks, and blueberries in the ground and some other herbs in pots.

I'm so excited, I just can't fight it!!

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 AM

I'm very excited for this growing season.

I have a whole bunch of tomatoes that I started 4, 6, and 8 weeks ago. The 8 week old ones are getting huge and need to go out. I'm hoping that Sunday will be the day I can plant those. If they can't go out yet, I'll have to put them in bigger pots. This was my first year growing from seed, next year I will start them later, so they're closer to 5 or 6 weeks at planting time.

I also have peas, onions, lettuce, and chives planted in a plot at the local community garden, and I'll plant bush beans this weekend. The tomatoes will mostly be planted in my back yard, but the lettuce and peas can't go out there because I have pet rabbits roaming the yard and they'll eat them. I'm pretty sure they won't touch tomatoes, hoping so at least. I think the first ones I plant out will probably by sprayed with peppermint and/or lavender essential oils, to make them less appetizing, so the rabbits won't consider them food.
#3 Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Give peas a chance

I'm excited too!
Tomato, cucumber, parsley and mint (so I can make tabbouleh), pole beans, snap peas (for my niece), and chard (my personal garden fav.... it grows like a weed here in Los Angeles).

I've been wanting to try ginger, but not sure if I have a place for it.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#4 Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't even gotten the garden prepared yet this year. Growing season starts much later here in NE Minnesota, usually mid to late May. This year for sure I am planning to grow collard greens, tomatoes, onions, and in my screened in porch, herb boxes of parsley, basil, stevia leaf, mint. I want to try garlic this year since I use tons of it. Not sure what else to try. In the past I have grown spinach, beets, winter squash, snap peas, cucumbers, bell peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli rabe. I eat TONS of bell peppers all the time, but never have success growing them up here. No one does. It's too cold lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 PM

These are just a few, these ones have to go out this weekend, even if I have to cover them, they're getting too big for their cups. Thankfully, I didn't plant my seeds all at once, or I'd have 60 plants to try and plant out this weekend.

I have a few varieties of dwarf tomatoes this year that I'm pretty excited to try, they only get between 2.5-3 feet tall.
#6 Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 AM
person

It is getting cold here now and I couldn't be happier about it - except it has been raining a lot including a cyclone up north.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 04-13-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
#7 Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
It is getting cold hear now and I couldn't be happier about it - except it has been raining a lot including a cyclone up north.
Do you grow anything during the cold months?

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#8 Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 PM
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
Do you grow anything during the cold months?
LOL, We grow very little that is useful where we live, at any time of year. Our yard is a series of sandstone shelves and the only soil here has been brought in.

I had all sorts of plans when we moved here but the possums and cockatoos really enjoyed the tomatoes and eggplants and the cherries and the dozens of passion fruit. The mustard plants just died. As did the pumpkins

We did get some potatoes and some zucchini and string beans and nasturtiums(look good and taste good in salads)

I planted snow peas and then found out that red bellied black snakes (venomous) where living under the shed I planted them against.

We did really well with herbs and then half of them just disappeared overnight - probably possums. Possums seem to really like thyme and lemon time. They did leave us some basil and some celeriac.

So I basically gave up.

I was growing watercress but the dogs ate it.

I've got potatoes in a large pot right now to see how they go. The possums tried the leaves and then stopped.

In summer it only takes a couple of 40 degree C days to kill plants in pots even in the shade. In winter we rarely get frost but there is no way to stop the possums.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#9 Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Quote:
LOL, We grow very little that is useful where we live, at any time of year. Our yard is a series of sandstone shelves and the only soil here has been brought in.

I had all sorts of plans when we moved here but the possums and cockatoos really enjoyed the tomatoes and eggplants and the cherries and the dozens of passion fruit. The mustard plants just died. As did the pumpkins

We did get some potatoes and some zucchini and string beans and nasturtiums(look good and taste good in salads)

I planted snow peas and then found out that red bellied black snakes (venomous) where living under the shed I planted them against.

We did really well with herbs and then half of them just disappeared overnight - probably possums. Possums seem to really like thyme and lemon time. They did leave us some basil and some celeriac.

So I basically gave up.

I was growing watercress but the dogs ate it.

I've got potatoes in a large pot right now to see how they go. The possums tried the leaves and then stopped.

In summer it only takes a couple of 40 degree C days to kill plants in pots even in the shade. In winter we rarely get frost but there is no way to stop the possums.
Oh my. Well it isn't because you haven't tried, that's for sure. How frustrating all of that must be when you really want to grow stuff. Grrrrrr.......

#10 Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:

I feel your pain. I've got possum issues too. Most everything I plant is in 12" beds that are filled with nothing but compost. It's soft and friable and as a result the june bugs love to lay eggs in them. When the eggs turn into grubs, the possums tear up the beds looking for grubs. I don't mind that if the plants are mature because they'll survive, but a lot of times they seedlings and they get destroyed. The possums actually help eliminate the grubs, who will kill immature plants by attacking the roots. But the possums will also go through the garden in a night and sample a bunch of tomatoes. I wouldn't mind it they took a couple and ate them, but when they nibble a little bit out of a bunch of different ones and leave them on the vine it makes me nuts.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#11 Old 04-14-2017, 06:46 PM
person

Our possums are different from yours - they don't eat the bugs, just the plants. LOL vegetarian possums.

#12 Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I got my garden and herb boxes going for the year. This is a crazy busy year for me so I don't have a lot of time for gardening, so I kept it simple and easy this year:

tomatoes
onion bulbs (for green and white onions)
carrots
collards (a staple for me)

Herb boxes in porch:
oregano
basil
curly parsley

I went for produce that does not spread out a ton so I don't have to spend a lot of time trimming back and untangling stuff lol. In past years I planted zucchini, cucumbers, squashes, and other plants that took over my garden and were a lot of work to keep separated. Our garden is quite small so not a ton of room to work with. We COULD make it bigger but I have very little time this year. Lots of overtime work planned as I learn new areas of coding, and lots of out of town trips planned (distance mountain biking, canoe camping, visiting relatives). I really admire people that put a huge effort into growing so much of their food! Maybe someday when I slow down or retire. We have an apple tree also which is really nice and requires little work. I'm thankful for that!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 05-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Sounds good, Naturebound. Wise choice on limiting the growing space.

I remember our first year growing watermelons. Yikes. A few ended up being 30 pounds and were sprawling all over the place. lol

I'm thankful to have the time, energy, mobility (most days), helpful hands of the hubby, and the space to do it.

Although reaching this point was made very uncomfortably necessary by decades of building ill health via tending to my needs via the "sick-care" system they call health care, and by not previously paying attention to what I consumed, which started at birth by not having had a chance at a healthy foundation to ever build from in the first place.

So much long-term damage done in every direction imaginable, even the unspeakable ones.

A bittersweet arrival, indeed, but damn glad to have landed in a space of healing, finally.

May all of our gardens grow well and nourish, and if not, at least provide some good compost for our next attempts.
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page