First homegrown tomatoes of the season! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilCartman

#1 Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM

First homegrown tomatoes of the season!

Hey guys! Here's a little glimpse of our first tomatoes from the garden. Can't wait for more to ripen. I swear I can eat tomatoes like apples! Any way, this is my second year planting tomatoes in the garden. And we actually planted a few other veggies this year for the first time. For you guys that like to plant gardens what's your favorite thing to plant ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464317201590.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	14785  
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCartman View Post
Hey guys! Here's a little glimpse of our first tomatoes from the garden. Can't wait for more to ripen. I swear I can eat tomatoes like apples! Any way, this is my second year planting tomatoes in the garden. And we actually planted a few other veggies this year for the first time. For you guys that like to plant gardens what's your favorite thing to plant ?

Those are like storybook tomatoes! Where's Jack and the beanstalk?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 05-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Some things I like to plant and that do well for me: tomatoes, beans, romaine lettuce, acorn or butternut squash, cucumbers, kale, mustard greens. I like okra and watermelon, but sometimes they grow, other times they don't.

I also like dill, peppermint, lovage, garlic, marigolds, and nasturtiums.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

#4 Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Baby Love

Those tomatoes look great! Mine are still just leaves. Our last frost date was just a few weeks ago and I start everything from seed, though. This year is my first time trying to grow them. I actually just built a new raised garden over the winter and this will be a new experiment in a new climate. I pretty much try to grow any sort of interesting heirloom foods that I think I might enjoy eating, plus some interesting colorful flowers.

So far, I've harvested lots of spinach, a few types of lettuce, and Chinese kale. No luck with the regular kale, broccoli or cabbage due to those horrid caggage worms plus weather irregularities, but I keep trying! I love growing a large variety of carrots and beans in all sorts of colors. Food wise, I am also trying to grow okra, zucchini, two types of sweet peppers, herbs, three types of melon, and pumpkins ... with mixed results. I was lucky enough to inherit raspberries and strawberries when we bought the house. They did amazing last year, so I hope to be so lucky again this year. We had so many raspberries, we barely made a dent in what was growing, even with the help of the bird and bugs.

I also tried all sorts of flowers this year, but the only ones already flowering are the marigolds. My son loves sunflowers, so I try those every year, sometimes with luck and sometimes not.

Last edited by Jinga; 05-27-2016 at 02:19 PM.
#5 Old 05-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Ethical Vegan

That makes me happy to see. I tried to grow tomatoes once but out of many plants, only one was successful. And I'm talking single tomato, not even one whole plant. Haha. At least the bunnies enjoyed the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ItsAlmostVegan; 05-27-2016 at 05:36 PM.
#6 Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I am in the desert here, and it took a while to understand growing conditions. we have lousy soil here. Nothing but clay, and really hardly any rain. I finally went to the farm store and picked up some large round buckets used on farms, drilled a few holes in the bottoms, filled the bottom with lava rock, filled the rest with good rich soil, and now have some fantastic tomatoes going. I love the trinity of peppers, tomato, and onion. Zucchini are wonderful to grow too. Spinach arugula and other salad greens.

I live in a neighborhood where people wander into the yard and steal the produce, (anything that is not nailed down gets stolen) so the best gardening area is not being used. If I owned the house, I would put a fence around the front yard (it is just weeds now) and start planting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page