Snails! A problem. - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Snails! A problem.

My garden is being taken over by snails! They are eating everything but the lemongrass! What are my options? Are there viable alternatives to snail pellets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

I live in the suburbs of Southern California, where snail populations are kept in check by natural predators: opossums and skunks. You can welcome the nocturnal opossums and skunks into your yard by keeping your dog indoors at night.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-09-2015 at 09:17 PM.
#3 Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

No outside dogs, and there is a possum that frequents the garden from time to time. There are outdoor cats that roam the area. Skunks are rare.

#4 Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm.. I wonder if there is something that will discourage them without killing them.

Now I've got to go searching.
#5 Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Vegan since 1991

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.co...l-control.html . Some of the snail-control methods listed on that website are nearly harmless to the snails.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#6 Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a look at the list. I see the following as friendly options; sawdust barrier, relocating snails, that red nitrogen fixing flower, sacrificial lettuce. DE and iron phosphate are 'organic' but inevitably lead to snail harm.

Harming the slugs is not an option for me, and I do want them to stop eating my food.

I do have a nearby compost pile, this is an attraction for them I'm sure.
#7 Old 07-11-2015, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate to say this but I take them from my allotment to the park and put them down. Do I care if they go to someone else's garden or plot? Fraid not!

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#8 Old 07-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I've heard that if you put flat boards down on the ground, slugs will hide under it before daybreak. I don't know if this would work for snails. Most sources recommend just killing them when you find them the next day- but you could just relocate them someplace else, and since they're so slow-moving, you probably wouldn't have to take them far at all.

Any nearby spot with moisture and vegetation would probably do, but if you want to be sure they won't starve, I suppose you could find out what they like to eat (besides your vegetables) first. I don't know off-hand.

ETA: David3 mentioned predators of snails. I read someplace that firefly larvae prey on them too, but this wouldn't be a non-lethal control, assuming there's a way to attract lightning beetles.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 07-11-2015 at 07:33 AM.
#9 Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I've heard that if you put flat boards down on the ground, slugs will hide under it before daybreak. I don't know if this would work for snails. Most sources recommend just killing them when you find them the next day- but you could just relocate them someplace else, and since they're so slow-moving, you probably wouldn't have to take them far at all.

Any nearby spot with moisture and vegetation would probably do, but if you want to be sure they won't starve, I suppose you could find out what they like to eat (besides your vegetables) first. I don't know off-hand.

ETA: David3 mentioned predators of snails. I read someplace that firefly larvae prey on them too, but this wouldn't be a non-lethal control, assuming there's a way to attract lightning beetles.
My mom had a big vegetable garden, and she would put 2x4s out at dusk if she saw snails around. (She would hose the boards down if they were dry.) In the morning, she would take the boards (or send one of us kids) to the woods outside the yard. She said to put the snails in the shade near a bunch of leaves. An omni, but very sweet, my mom.
Tom and Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian like this.
#10 Old 07-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd consider a birdfeeder as a potential solution, however the birds would likely fall prey to the outdoor cats especially if on ground to eat slugs.

Lightning bugs don't live out here, I'm not even sure where I'd find some to relocate.

A frog pond would be sure to fill with tadpoles, but mosquitoe appearances aren't worth the potential benefit.

Relocating the snails seems to be the most practical option at this point, tedious as it may sound.
#11 Old 12-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Sustainable Gardener

Beanspud, if you could do the frog pond, just add guppies to the water. They eat the mosquito larvae. We have 4 such ponds on our property (for the frogs) and we have never had a mosquito problem.
Guppies are even nicknamed 'Mosquito eating fish'

~~~~I always eat the garnish.~~~
~~~~~~~~~Jackie~~~~~~~~~~
#12 Old 05-14-2016, 04:11 PM

My mother used salt to protect her vegetables from slugs and snails. It was pretty effective unless it was raining. She has a couple of chickens now so the problem is forgotten.
#13 Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quick action on getting rid of slugs and snails.

A beer trap that’ll drown the snails.
Grow companion plants that deter slugs. ( Really works well)

Build natural hiding place traps around the backyard.

It always works for insects and bugs, so this for too, vinegar spray on them

Attract beneficial insects like ground beetles.

Sprinkle diatomaceous earth near high-traffic pest areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page