constructing a greenhouse from a kit this afternoon - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Hi there!

We are housesitting for a friend, and before she left she ordered a small greenhouse kit. It arrived today. So far it looks great, well packaged and each piece identified pretty clearly. We have constructed (from scratch) a couple of hoop houses in the past, but never one of these in a kit.

We should be having fun. I will keep you posted. It will probably take us more than an afternoon to finish it....

As we imagine, so we create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Keep the gobble alive!

Pictures pleeze....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"War- the most malignant scourge and greatest sin of mankind- can no longer be contained, only abolished." -Douglas MacArthur
#3 Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Good luck with it, sounds exciting
#4 Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM

#5 Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Beanitarian

Oh, I'm so envious! I so want a greenhouse.

I'm also envious of your friend, who gets a house sitter to assemble greenhouses for her!

Beanitarian.
#6 Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Hee hee,
Tomorrow it will look like the picture -- when we are finished putting it all together!

Oh, and all the plants will be veggie plants.

#7 Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicseekers View Post

Hee hee,
Tomorrow it will look like the picture -- when we are finished putting it all together!

Oh, and all the plants will be veggie plants.

No erm... herbs?
#8 Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM

I hope this isn't being too nosy...but was wondering where you bought the kit & about how much you gave for it?
We are sooo wanting to build something along those lines but would really love to save as much moola as possible!
#9 Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 PM

I don't think you are nosy. Let me get the info. My hubby says the sale is still on.

We had a fun time building it. The second day was not quite as fun due to poor air quality here in FL with wildfires burning north of us. So sad.

But I did take pics with my cell phone. I will post in a few....

#10 Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Our friend ordered it online from greenhousemegastore. It was $600 and free shipping. It came FedEx in just a few days.

Now I am trying to figure out how to post the two photos I took on to the forum.

#11 Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Here is the first day

On the second day you can see how thick the smoke was by looking in the background.

All the pieces were marked with id numbers and the manual was clear (no words - just illustrations!) You may not be able to tell but the greenhouse is lightweight, we anchored it in for her with an Eaglefoot anchoring kit. The windows are all plastic.

It gets very warm in FL in the summer, so a shade cloth was added to keep the direct afternoon sun out.

#12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Nice, I so need to build myself a greenhouse.
#13 Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Hee hee! A greenhouse for your veggies and herbs?

They are great to have to start seedlings indoors, but they really get too hot for permanent plants unless you have elaborate irrigation (misters) and air movement systems.

#14 Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Seriously, how awesome would it be to get one of these?

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#15 Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Nice, I so need to build myself a greenhouse.

half loops of 3/4 inch pvc either stuck in the ground or attached using t's and pvc along the bottom and either tied or same set up down the middle of the loop makes a cheap and effecient greenhouse when covered with clear plastic.
#16 Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

half loops of 3/4 inch pvc either stuck in the ground or attached using t's and pvc along the bottom and either tied or same set up down the middle of the loop makes a cheap and effecient greenhouse when covered with clear plastic.

Actually that's a really good idea. I made a couple of raised beds (square foot garden) last year. I could easily cover them with something like this, keep the dogs out when the plants are spouting too. I'm gonna do it, maybe next weekend.

#17 Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Actually that's a really good idea. I made a couple of raised beds (square foot garden) last year. I could easily cover them with something like this, keep the dogs out when the plants are spouting too. I'm gonna do it, maybe next weekend.

that looks like 1/2 inch pvc, check the schedule before you buy or try bending it at the store. some schedules will bend a lot easier than others, and the length of piece plays a role in that too.

Just things to keep in mind before you bring it home. try to buy it in 20 for lengths from a pvc/irrigation store verses a lowes or home depot, 20' bend easier than glued in the middle 10's. and lowes and hd both cut their pipe at 10's forcing one to buy more fittings.
#18 Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Hey,
I like that raised bed cover. I have had my experiences with someone's dog racing thru my raised beds after a squirrel!

Here is a webpage we found a while back with quantities and lengths of parts for a 10 by 21 hoophouse. http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html Maybe this can help some folks get an idea of what's needed.

The ones we did were 10 by 32. Make sure you pick a still day with no breeze. Putting the plastic on with even a tiny bit of wind can be a hassle.

#19 Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Clever.
#20 Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM

I would love a greenhouse! Preferably capable of being heated in the winter as I live in Ut. But I like the raised bed units. My brain is running like crazy thinking about all the possibilities with the greenhouse and bed combination. Someday!!
#21 Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick432 View Post

I would love a greenhouse! Preferably capable of being heated in the winter as I live in Ut. But I like the raised bed units. My brain is running like crazy thinking about all the possibilities with the greenhouse and bed combination. Someday!!

Mine too!!  I don't think we'd need 'heat' during the winter months since we are in Tennessee but I sooo have greenhouse envy right now.yes.gif

#22 Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicseekers View Post

Our friend ordered it online from greenhousemegastore. It was $600 and free shipping. It came FedEx in just a few days.

Now I am trying to figure out how to post the two photos I took on to the forum.

Thank-you so much for the information!thumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page