What's in your garden? (2012 edition) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Tom
Beginner

The old WIYG? thread was going for about 2 years, and since gardens are seasonal, I figured it was time to start a new one.

I mentioned the red mulberry trees I'm trying to get started over in Capstan's tree thread.

I got sick of trying to start tomato plants and having the seedlings die on me. I had better luck with them years ago when I was starting to garden!!! So last fall, I took two cuttings of my beefsteak tomato plants and they've been growing in my house. In fact, I discovered a small tomato on one of them.

I'll be starting broccoli, okra, and savory indoors soon- maybe some lettuce and mustard greens also.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Beginner

I'll know in a couple of months... short growing seasons suck.

I set up 2 4X4 square foot gardens last year, they did surprisingly well despite me getting things planted really late. I also have 4 whiskey barrels set up to grow annual herbs, flowers and strawberries. I do have a dedicated perennial herb garden for such things as thyme, mint, sage, tarragon etc. I also a great rhubarb patch and a superb raspberry "hedge". Don't have to do anything with them, just wait till they start growing again, though I do have to prune the dead stalks out of the raspberries every year.
#3 Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Gib
Beginner

I have mustard and collard greens and swiss chard. Lettuces, spinach, and garlic. Will be transitioning to a summer garden in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
#4 Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

well, i have a lot going on. as far as seedlings started inside, this is what i've got:

the okra is doing fantastic, and the other ones starting to show up are speckled roman tomatoes, which are supposed to be great for canning but we'll see.

spoiler tags for photo heavy post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

we've got four blueberry plants. i know they won't give us anything for the next couple of years but i love them anyway.

two fig trees:

our jasmine from last year and the two additional ones we planted this year:

we used to do cannas up on our deck:

but have since transplanted them to by the bandroom door:

we have five raised beds plus a chicken coop. only two of our beds have anything in them right now.

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

#5 Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM

the board said i had to split it into two posts

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
these two have fennel, mustard greens, fava beans, radishes and green onions:

the others aren't ready yet. and no, the oil drum shouldn't be knocked over, it's our yard waste bin. kind of ruins the photo but too allergy laden to go outside and take another. we're hoping that by the time summer rolls around we won't be needing our CSA. it doesn't look like much, but it's a lot. I've lived here for the past two years, and our yard is on a five year plan. this house was a foreclosure, which meant our yard turned into a dump in the five years that this house was vacant. in two years i think we've cleared over 4 tons of garbage (including but not limited to -- 100+tires, 3 intact toilets, 7 mattresses, and a burned out shell of a car) and cleared an additional 2 tons of kudzu, trees and various invasive species. here is the yard in Summer 2010

Summer 2011

so, i'm pretty proud.

we've also got tons of stupid ornamental plants i don't care about like nandinas and orchids and other 'pet plants'.

#6 Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Where's my camera?

I was at the local arboretum yesterday for their annual tomato fundraiser. It's pretty cool. They have volunteers grow about 300 different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, then sell off the plants. I picked up a variety that have worked well in the past.

I've got kale, romaine, parsley, green onions. Those all seem to thrive and the bugs leave them alone. I've officially given up on chard, pak choi, bok choi. The grasshoppers destroy them too quickly. In the next week or two I'm going to plant sunflowers, pole beans, summer squash, and cucumbers. I'm hoping to use the sunflowers as a trellis for the pole beans.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I was at the local arboretum yesterday for their annual tomato fundraiser. It's pretty cool. They have volunteers grow about 300 different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, then sell off the plants. I picked up a variety that have worked well in the past.

I've got kale, romaine, parsley, green onions. Those all seem to thrive and the bugs leave them alone. I've officially given up on chard, pak choi, bok choi. The grasshoppers destroy them too quickly. In the next week or two I'm going to plant sunflowers, pole beans, summer squash, and cucumbers. I'm hoping to use the sunflowers as a trellis for the pole beans.

have you tried growing helper plants near the ones the bugs are destroying? so far tansy has done well for us keeping things away.

#8 Old 03-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Oryzatarian

Veggies and annual fruit (in the order in which I visualize the garden :P) :
Okra, cowpeas, tepary beans, radicchio, indian mustard, black mustard, giant beets, zucchini, snow peas, squash, giant rutabagas, 2 types of kale, collards, cabbage, garlic, walking onions, 17 varieties of chilli peppers.

Teas, spices, and medicines:
Black currant leaves, elecampane, baikal, oregano, thyme, winter savory, ephedra, Scutellaria barbata, Desmanthus leptolobus, Silene capensis, kalmegh, native american licorice, lemon balm, mint, sage, maral, tabe-hi, Ligusticum porteri, L. canbyi, Silphium laciniatum, Astragalus membranaceus (20), ashwagandha (17), Plantago majora, P. lanceolata, Lomatium dissectum, Eriodyction californicum, Aralia californicum (I hope), Heimia myrtifolia, Heimia salicifolia, tepezcohuite, Calea zacatechichi, Sceletium tortuosum, S. emarcidium, yuapon.

Fruit and nut trees:
Black currant fruit, bird cherry, goumi fruit, jujube fruit, saskatoons, canadian elder, black walnut, crab apple.

Biological reagent precursors:
Colchicum autumnale

...all grown without pesticides
#9 Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Where's my camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

have you tried growing helper plants near the ones the bugs are destroying? so far tansy has done well for us keeping things away.

Thanks! I am going to give that a try.

#10 Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:

so, i'm pretty proud.

You should be! Looks like a lot of work!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#11 Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Beginner

we've got four spots this year. two at the bottom of the hill in the backyard, both about 20x25 and both on a slight incline, so I'm thinking those will be melons and winter squash patches. also a 15x60ish patch in the backyard at the top of the hill, and 20x35ish spot at the side of the house. at least a third of the big patch will probably be peppers and tomatos, and the one at the side of the house is going to be exclusively for greens. I just hope I can keep the bunnies out of it. oh, and at the top of the hill, from one fence to the trail down the hill will be bales of straw, for our potatos.

for the large one, we're planning on several varieties of tomatos, beans and peppers, plus broccoli, brussel sprouts, parsnips, carrots, peas, beets, turnips, zucchini, yellow straightneck, and eggplant. chard, mustard, kale, spinach, several varieties of lettuces, cabbage, orach, strawberry spinach, and a few little things like chives are going into the side patch.

we've already started a few tomatos, potatos and peppers in the kitchen, and will be starting basil, peppermint and lemon balm soon.

we also ordered a couple of ground cherry plants, although I've no idea where we're putting them yet. and my mom has a couple of avocado seedlings that I have to transplant this year, before my cats tear them to shreds.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#12 Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned

deleted

#13 Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Where's my camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yay!

[picture removed]

Very nice. I wish I had brick borders. Then I could sit down on it while gardening.

#14 Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

deleted
#15 Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Beginner

Very nice, RabbitLuvr!

A friend of mine has a platform deck...she built this awesome wooden planter along one whole side of the deck where she plants her veggies. It's really cool!

I hope I can get motivated this year to do some gardening...I can be such a slacker!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#16 Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Beginner

I was doing pretty well at my first attempt at real gardening, but then I went away on holiday for a couple of weeks and forgot to set the sprinklers to the timer. While I was gone, a 40C+ heatwave hit that went on for over a week and I came home to find everything dead. I've since given up.

m8itcanw8.com
#17 Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yay!

[picture removed]

Nice, I might just have to try something like that... looks like just the right height to work it comfortably and keep the dogs from peeing on the veggies. It looks good to boot.

#18 Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Beginner

We could still get a late frost here, so it's too early to plant anything, but this weekend my boyfriend and I want to plot out where we want to have a vegetable garden and go around to some of the local nurseries for advice. I have only ever grown veggies is buckets on my porch, so we're both "green" I guess you could say, when it comes to growing things in the ground. We definitely want to try tomatoes, summer squash, string beans, kale, eggplant and bell peppers. I'd also like to try some winter squash if we have the space and conditions for it.
#19 Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Beginner

My garden this morning, lol

The barrels I plant stuff in, and my dogs... they love this weather:

#20 Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

The barrels I plant stuff in, and my dogs... they love this weather:

Oh no! At least the dogs are happy!

#21 Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Where's my camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I would harvest some snowcones from that garden.

#22 Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Tom
Beginner

Quote:

well, i have a lot going on. as far as seedlings started inside, this is what i've got:

the okra is doing fantastic, and the other ones starting to show up are speckled roman tomatoes, which are supposed to be great for canning but we'll see.

we've got four blueberry plants. i know they won't give us anything for the next couple of years but i love them anyway.

two fig trees:

WHOA- "a lot" doesn't begin to cover it! Your blueberries will be great once they start producing, and it will be nice to have fresh figs instead of only dried (I've heard fresh figs don't ship well at all, and almost no place sells them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Veggies and annual fruit (in the order in which I visualize the garden :P) :
Okra, cowpeas, tepary beans, radicchio, indian mustard, black mustard, giant beets, zucchini, snow peas, squash, giant rutabagas, 2 types of kale, collards, cabbage, garlic, walking onions, 17 varieties of chilli peppers.

Teas, spices, and medicines:
Black currant leaves, elecampane, baikal, oregano, thyme, winter savory, ephedra, Scutellaria barbata, Desmanthus leptolobus, Silene capensis, kalmegh, native american licorice, lemon balm, mint, sage, maral, tabe-hi, Ligusticum porteri, L. canbyi, Silphium laciniatum, Astragalus membranaceus (20), ashwagandha (17), Plantago majora, P. lanceolata, Lomatium dissectum, Eriodyction californicum, Aralia californicum (I hope), Heimia myrtifolia, Heimia salicifolia, tepezcohuite, Calea zacatechichi, Sceletium tortuosum, S. emarcidium, yuapon.

Fruit and nut trees:
Black currant fruit, bird cherry, goumi fruit, jujube fruit, saskatoons, canadian elder, black walnut, crab apple.

Biological reagent precursors:
Colchicum autumnale

...all grown without pesticides

I have a black walnut tree which the squirrels had planted a few years before I bought my place, but I've never had a nut- the things are so hard to crack! I tried smashing one with a big rock and wound up with a mixture of ground black walnut meat and shell.

I tried some unsweetened plain black currant juice about two weeks ago. I liked it, but it definitely had a bitter bite. Supposedly red or white currants are sweeter, but I don't know... Red currants are the kind usually grown in my state, and they're evidently tolerant of growing near a black walnut, so if I want to grow fruit they're one of my options. I didn't know that their leaves had a use though (other than as a mulch or compost pile). I have Plantago lanceolata groing in my yard, if I remember right... unless I fed the last of it to my rabbits...

#23 Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

deleted
#24 Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Right now I've got snow peas, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, kale, swiss chard, spinach, romaine lettuce and garlic growing under cold frames out in the beds. Plus four blueberry plants, a peach and a cherry tree.

Inside I've got the seedlings going, there's tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, broccoli, red peppers, zucchini, some various herbs, and some flowers to tuck into my beds so that they'll attract flying insects when blooming to help with cross pollination.

In two weeks we're putting in another cherry tree, a fig tree, asparagus, strawberries, more peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, pumpkin, various squash such as butternut and delicata, a watermelon (I doubt we'll get anything but I'm going to try and see), and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

I love looking at everyone's pictures. That brick flower bed is awesome. I wish I'd thought about a place to sit when we built our garden boxes.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#25 Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Grass. Maybe some seedlings will come up too.
#26 Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Gib
Beginner

Planting tomatoes and jalapenos tonight. Hoping a late freeze doesn't come this year. Shouldn't because my mesquites have leafed out. Waiting on okra. Ground needs to be 60 degrees for germination and it's not there yet in my part of Texas.
#27 Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Tom
Beginner

Okay- I planted some broccoli, mustard greens, and lettuce this morning in my community garden plot. It might be an exercise in futility- a neighbor told me she saw a woodchuck in the area. Woodchucks and rabbits haven't been a problem for our tomatoes, corn, or squash, but they really go after leafy veggies. This neighbor has a live-trap, and will try to catch the beast and release him someplace.

Also brought some CG soil home to start okra, watermelon, or squash seeds- I usually like to start seeds in the same sort of soil they're going to grow in.

#28 Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM

i wanted to grow some melons but can't justify using up all that space

#29 Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Nothing in the garden yet(Too cold here!), but as my first chance in years to grow anything, here is the plan! All of this will be container grown, and should be a ton of food. When planning for my garden I decided on the philosophy of: The most food, in the smallest space, in the shortest amount of time. This means to me growing more compact varieties, with quicker maturity rates so I can start harvesting earlier and continue on later into the season. Some plants will be able to be replanted several times, for 2-3 harvests in one growing season, and I will be preserving much of it. Anyway:

Beans and peas:
Scarlet runner
White kidney
Sugar sprint

Greens:
Leaf lettuce(various kinds)
Spinach
Kale(possibly)

Root veggies:
Potato
Carrot

Other veggies:
Tomatoes
Green peppers
Zucchini

Herbs and other edibles:
Parsley
Mint
Lemon balm
Chives
Rosemary
Lavender
Nasturtiums
Rose hips
Ground cherry

This is the list as of right now. I can't wait until the weather gets nice and I can start planting. These are also what is going to be grown on property for me. Off property, my mother and I are doing some crop sharing. So I will be getting some of the product of(not an all inclusive list):

70 cucumber plants(which is why I am NOT growing my own. We do a lot of pickling...)
Soy beans
Squash (Butternut and spaghetti)
Yellow and green string beans
Beets
Radishes.( I may do radishes here too).
Apples
Plums
Cherries

In exchange we each buy the seeds and share them, we will be pickling, drying and freezing each others produce, and I will be making herbal teas for the coming years use... Should be a great, land efficient solution!
#30 Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Beginner

I started my garden about a week ago. Already looking good

My herb garden:
Chives on the left, basil on the right, and parsley in the middle which has yet to come out.

The rest. The big ones are zucchini... they're already trying to fall over. My sister suggested I move them outside because the cooler air is supposed to stop this from happening, but I've still got some snow here and I don't want to kill them. Any suggestions?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page