How often do you give a young child a bath - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Beginner

I remember taking a bath about once per week when I was around 5-7 years old. My wife insists on giving our 5 year old a bath every other day including washing his hair.

In your opinion is that too much? Not enough? How often did you take a bath at that age?

BC

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Beginner

It doesn't really matter that much. I think I only bathed about once a week as well, but a friend of mine just adopted some children from Brazil who would bathe twice a day or more if he let them (actually, I think he set the limit at twice). Apparently cleanliness is culturally important there. It won't hurt the kid to be bathed that often, even if it's not necessary.
#3 Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Beginner

We bathe our kids (ages 3 and 1) about every 3 days or so. We used to do it every night as part of the bedtime routine, but we noticed that our 3-year-old's hair was feeling dry. Plus it really ate into our evenings. Now we usually do it in the daytime every few days. As long as you wash their hands and face after dinner, they should be just fine. We've been on this schedule for about a year now and my eldest's hair is soft and beautiful again!

Every other day seems reasonable. If your child has dry skin or hair you could consider doing some baths without soap or shampoo. We do that sometimes, especially in the summer when they get dirty from playing outside or when they want a cold bath to cool off. We'll put them in the tub with their toys but we won't actually wash them with soap.
#4 Old 03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Once a week? Wouldn't the kid really stink by then? I was always given a daily bath, always. Though the hair was not washed every day. I'm really quite shocked that people would only wash their children once a week or once every three days. I'm mean, you all bathe at least once a day, right? At least! I'm not sure why it's ok to only wash a child every second day when on there's no way on God's green Earth you'd let an adult you lived with get away with that.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Beginner

I wash my boy every day after dinner (when he's at his messiest) we only wash his hair every other day though. he loves his baths and it helps calm him down for the evening
#6 Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Not to get too technical, Kiz, but people don't really smell before puberty, so kids can get away with not washing longer than adults. Their hair won't really get oily either.
#7 Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Beginner

I bathe my 3-year-olds about every other day. But sometimes I'll go 3 days without washing their hair.

I think it's absolutely fine to wash your kid more or less than that, as long as they're not filthy or stinky.
#8 Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

It doesn't really matter that much. I think I only bathed about once a week as well, but a friend of mine just adopted some children from Brazil who would bathe twice a day or more if he let them (actually, I think he set the limit at twice). Apparently cleanliness is culturally important there. It won't hurt the kid to be bathed that often, even if it's not necessary.

I'm a Brazilian and I also bathe twice a day. I'm shocked that you guys only bathe your kids once a week!!! How many times a week do *you* take a shower??? My goodness.
#9 Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Beginner

HERE.

and HERE.

Kiz - I think that you need to relax on the cleaning a bit. Little babies really only need washed once or twice a week, moving to once every 2 or 3 days. If your kid is dirty, wash them. If not, once every other day or so would be fine, I think. Once a day at least? Do you take 4 showers a day?

And, yeah, washing them too much can be bad, because it can dry them up into little tumbleweeds.

ETA: Remember, their face, hands and bum get cleaned many times a day already.
#10 Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Beginner

My boy stinks I don't know if it's his sweat or his dad's but they both smell pretty bad in the morning.
#11 Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Beginner

For those of you appalled at the idea of not bathing children every day, in what ways to you think the child is worse off for not being bathed so often? Do you think they feel worse? Are less healthy? No. We're not talking about parents who let their kids suffer here, we're talking about arbitrary cultural differences at most.
#12 Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Beginner

My mom washed us everyday, but I also had dry skin so bad that I would sometimes have to stay home from school and rub lotion on myself all day, and a few times the skin on my lower legs started to crack. Now that I'm an adult I bathe 3 or so times a week depending on how dirty/smelly I am and my skin is MUCH better. My mom still showers 2+ times a day and she still has problems with her skin.

As long as your kids aren't smelly or dirty I'd just get into a system that works for your family.
#13 Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

I'm a Brazilian and I also bathe twice a day. I'm shocked that you guys only bathe your kids once a week!!! How many times a week do *you* take a shower??? My goodness.

Cultural differences or not I find the idea of only bathing your kids once or twice a week rather shocking. That's dirty, it's like not washing your hands after you go to the toilet. You need to get the kids into a good routine of hygiene, surely?

To Glycine yes I do think you kids would feel a whole lot worse if they only bathed once a week. Yes, I feel horrible if I don't shower every day. I shower every single morning, I don't feel quite human if I don't, and sometimes a nice hot bath at night if I've had a stressful or dirty day. If I don't feel right if I don't shower I can't see why a child would feel any different. It just strikes me as odd that an adult would never go even a day without a shower but they'd let their child go a week.

#14 Old 03-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Beginner

I think it's personal choice, but I'd say every other day is fine for a young child.

Kids aren't like adults...they don't get greasy or have b.o.
#15 Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Beginner

When I was little my sister and I would bathe everyday but we only used baby shampoo up until maybe first grade. We also used lotion before we went to bed so our skin was healthy. Now a days I use an olive oil based soap for my skin and hair and I use it everyday. It keeps my skin really smooth.
#16 Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Beginner

A little helping of OCD, anyone?
#17 Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Cultural differences or not I find the idea of only bathing your kids once or twice a week rather shocking. That's dirty, it's like not washing your hands after you go to the toilet. You need to get the kids into a good routine of hygiene, surely?

To Glycine yes I do think you kids would feel a whole lot worse if they only bathed once a week. Yes, I feel horrible if I don't shower every day. I shower every single morning, I don't feel quite human if I don't, and sometimes a nice hot bath at night if I've had a stressful or dirty day. If I don't feel right if I don't shower I can't see why a child would feel any different. It just strikes me as odd that an adult would never go even a day without a shower but they'd let their child go a week.

Wow...where do I start?

For one thing, not bathing daily is not the same as not washing your hands after using the toilet. My kids wash their hands after using the potty, before meals, after meals, and even after we've been out in a public place. I wash the food off their faces, hands, arms, and wherever else it might have gotten after every meal.

For another, not all adults shower every day - I don't! I shower every other day and I know lots of people who are in this type of schedule. In some cultures people bathe a lot less frequently than that.

And lastly, young children's bodies are not like adults. They don't sweat and get B.O. like adults do. Even after 3 days my kids don't smell - if they did I would have bathed them earlier! The only exception to this is the summertime, when I have put sunscreen all over them and they've run around in the hot sun and gotten dirt and grime all over them. Of course I'll bathe them if they're dirty. But in the colder months, it just isn't necessary, and honestly I think over-bathing wouldn't be good for their skin.
#18 Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Beginner

I bath my boys every other night. Their skin gets very dry, especially in the winter, if I bath them every day. In the summer it's everyday because they are outside getting dirty. They always wash their hands and face before and after dinner and always wash hands when the get home from school or if we go into a store or public place. I wouldn't wait a week, but that's just me.
#19 Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Beginner

I used to take a bath every day, but I skipped it on Fridays. I think whatever works for your family is what you should go with.
#20 Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

Wow...where do I start?

For another, not all adults shower every day - I don't! I shower every other day and I know lots of people who are in this type of schedule.

Yeah.. that's kind of dirty right there. I'm sorry, I know there are cultural differences and all but that's just dirty. Maybe if you don't go to work and live alone you could get away with it but, yeah, that's just unhygienic.

#21 Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Kids aren't like adults...they don't get greasy or have b.o.

I did before puberty, and I know my brother and his best friend did too. Maybe not when they were like 3 years old, but definitely around ages 7-8. Kids get sweaty playing around, and sweat (or, bacteria eating sweat) stinks. Their feet smell, they need to wash their butts & genitalia, wash off dead skin...

I don't think an every-other-day bathing routine is a bad thing at all, for a young child. Anyone older, who is going to be interacting with others (school, work) ought to bathe every day... segue into other thread...
#22 Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Already started another thread OA, I'm right ahead of you.

#23 Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I would have to disagree about young children smelling. No, they don't get BO type smell like adults get, but man can they STINK. They play on the floor and crawl around outside and they just get this little kid funk going on. I was a teenager when my cousins were born and they only got bathed a few times a week and they sure got ripe by that time. Phew. I also hate the way kids smell after being at elementary school all day. (Heck when I was working at an elementary school I hated how I smelled at the end of the day)

That being said, we weren't bathed every day as kids. Seems gross to me now. I don't know how often I'd bathe my own kid. I guess it would depend on how they smell and how grimey they are and how much they liked baths. I used to babysit a kid who practically lived in the bathtub (with a snorkle and dive mask on). He turned out ok. :P Didn't lose any skin or hair over it at least!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#24 Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Everyday bathing is ideal for kids and adults.

Hehe.. My kid used to wear a diving mask and snorkle in the tub. He acted like his bathtime was pool time.
#25 Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Kiz
Beginner

I used to love having baths as a kid, my mother could barely drag me out of them. I still love bath-time, only with the added bonus I no longer live with a mother who pulls em out before I resemble a prune.

#26 Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I would have to disagree about young children smelling. No, they don't get BO type smell like adults get, but man can they STINK. They play on the floor and crawl around outside and they just get this little kid funk going on. I was a teenager when my cousins were born and they only got bathed a few times a week and they sure got ripe by that time. Phew. I also hate the way kids smell after being at elementary school all day. (Heck when I was working at an elementary school I hated how I smelled at the end of the day)

You ain't a kidding. That elementary school funk is nasty.

Quote:
I don't know how often I'd bathe my own kid.

When babies, we go with a daily wipe down, plus a real bath every 2 days or so.

By age 3-4, we are in daily bath mode. Sometimes when older they can slide one day in the winter, but no more than that. Heck, now keeping Tame, Jr. out of the shower is the problem.
#27 Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I happily go a day without a shower. When I go camping, or to outdoor events without showers, I'll happily go longer. So to say that of course kids would feel bad if not bathed every day doesn't convince me. So I have yet to hear how it negatively affects my children that I do not bathe them daily.

I'm actually a little surprised at how convinced you all are that it's only right to bathe one or more times a day, as if to do otherwise would be sub-human. Just surprised because this is a board where the majority of us have come to believe something other than what our culture tells us is a given. What do you think of kids (or adults) who live in cultures where it is abnormal to bathe so often? Do you think they feel bad going a day without a shower?
#28 Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

When babies, we go with a daily wipe down, plus a real bath every 2 days or so.

By age 3-4, we are in daily bath mode. Sometimes when older they can slide one day in the winter, but no more than that.

This is pretty much our routine here too. I have a 6 yo and a 3 yo........they both LOVE the bathtub, will stay in there for hours if i let them. in summer they most definitely bathe every day, we are out in the sun, dirt, swimming, etc with sunscreen, so every day...........in winter mostly everyday, but again it depends, if we havent been out and about too much and just out in the snowbanks playing then we can skip a day.........but i make sure they bathe after gymnastics for instance, but they just love the bath so much they hardly skip a day.
#29 Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I agree with Glycine Max. I'm certain that in the US people bathe way more than those in other countries. I lived in Germany for 6 years and my husband lived in France for 2 years and bathing everyday was not the norm.

That said, people are different yes? Well that means different people are gonna stink at different times and unfortunately that means some will really stink after one day so I don't think we can group all of this into one big "who's right and who's wrong."

Besides, children- also depending on age- are different from adults and require different things. So no, they don't NEED to bathe everyday unless they found a way to get really filthy...which isn't hard for them.

My kid is only 16 months old and we used to bathe him everyday as part of his routine. Then we realized he had extremely sensitive skin and got a horrible rash that the doc can't do anything about. He has to just ride it out for six months and the only thing we can do to keep it from breaking out is to drop his baths to no more than twice a week unless he's really dirty. Seriously, if he's in the water for 5 minutes his skin already starts turning red. So yeah he only gets a bath twice a week and everyday he gets covered with lotion.

My point? Different strokes for different folks (yea I know that's a cliche).
#30 Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Beginner

I don't remember how often I got a bath as a kid, but it's true that children (and older people) perspire less than adults in the middle of the spectrum and don't get body odor like those adults (unless they are very active). It really is a cultural thing to be able to shower daily or even twice daily. Unless you're really active, twice daily seems like a waste of resources. What do people do during droughts? I shower every day, but sweat very little, so could go days before I really had to.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page