VeggieBoards banner

Vegetarian opening up. How?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  cherries 
#1 ·
So for almost a week now, I've been eating meals absent of meat. In that time, I had been narrowly avoiding my parent's requests for their meat-filled meals through clever excuses, but there is only so many excuses one can make. I haven't been able to tell them that I've become vegetarian yet, and here's why.

I mostly live with my aunt and grandma, two vegetarians who my parents are not so fond of. Because of them being vegetarians, my parents have picked up bad opinions on vegetarians as a whole along with other stereotypes my aunt and grandma may have fallen into. I've been scared to tell them I've become vegetarian because I don't want them to think they've manipulated me into it, or that I may fall with other "bad" stereotypes as well. (I'm already filling that trans one pretty well)

At some point I need to tell them, or else they'll grow suspicious of me and throw another wild idea into the air. How should I explain this to them?

#2 ·
Hi Zeal Crown,

I am using some examples now:
Is it easier to tell your social environment that you are gay? Than that you are a vegetarian.
It is easier to tell your social environment that you are pregnant (if you are a young girl with no boyfriend)? Than that you are a vegetarian.
It is easier to tell your social environment that you are into a very bad religion or sect? Than that you are a vegetarian.
It is easier to tell your social environment that you are using addictive drugs?Than that you are a vegetarian.

What is it problem when you say that you want to make the world better by not eating meat?
It is very tasteful.
It is better for the environment.
It is better for your health.
It is sustainable.
It is energy saving.
It is better for the social community.
It is peaceful.
It is peasful,
It is cheaper.
It is better for the animals.

What is wrong if you want to be happy?

#3 ·
Open and honest is usually the best approach to communicate difficult information. Believe it or not, most parents expect their children to test limits, try new things, and occasionally stab them in the heart (metaphorically, of course!) over some belief the parent holds most dear.

So be mature, don't get emotional or manipulative, have your facts ready on how you're going to stay healthy being a vegetarian, and ask them for support and help. Most parents really want the best for their children, and can accept their kids making different choices if they have all the facts and no harm will come.

Good luck!

#4 ·
This really should not be something a person would need to hide. And if you actually live with 2 vegetarians already (Aunt, Grandma) then she really has nothing to say about it. I can see your dilemma-- of having to refuse offers of food since there is meat in them. I would just tell them I am happy the way I am eating, and if they want to buy you food get your fresh fruits and vegetables.

#5 ·
I can imagine it would be hard if your parents already have a negative stigma associated with vegetarianism that you don't want to perpetuate. On the other hand, you could look at this as an opportunity to show your parents that being vegetarian doesn't have to be what they think it is. You can be the example to show them how wonderful it is! ^_^

Going against the grain is never easy, and it's particularly tough telling our loved ones we are breaking away from the traditions they brought us up with. I get that, I'm sure most of us do. It's probably not as bad as you think it is, though, and in time they'll get used to it, and you'll wonder why you ever worried ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.