• 3 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By Shallot
  • 1 Post By TheVegansHaveThePhoneBox
  • 1 Post By TheVegansHaveThePhoneBox
  • 1 Post By tofukitty
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan

#1 Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Angry Living in a non-vegan house

Well, i have been vegan for almost a year now. Home has pretty much been hell. And i honestly don't know how much more i can take. I have always had issues dealing with my brother, but even more so now. He says the most horrible things about animals. he jokes about eating animals, and it just kills me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. when we get into fights now, i just leave and try to stay calm. but i don't know how much longer i can just sit in my room. When i'm home i should be able to not have to hear about "delicious murdered cow" (yes that's what he'll say sometimes) I just can't take it anymore. I'm finding myself getting angrier everyday, I feel like i'm going to snap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awful. I'm sorry your family members aren't treating you with respect. What about everyone else besides your brother? How old are you, and how much longer do you expect to be living with your family?
#3 Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Do not show your brother you're angry. He's doing that to get a reaction out of you.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

How old is your brother? That's very immature behaviour on his part. As difficult as it must be, my advice is not to acknowledge him at all when he acts like that. Pretend you don't hear him. If he needs you for anything-- a favour, advice-- politely let him know that you'll be more receptive once he treats you with more respect. Do your parents know he's taunting you?

I love your username, btw. Don't even blink...
holnrew, Purp and Shallot like this.
#5 Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

He sounds very young and inconsiderate. I can only reiterate what others have said - he's doing this because he gets a reaction. I do understand it's really hard to to listen to that and not react but the more you get upset the more he feels he's won something, which assuming he's very young obviously counts for something in his mind.

If it's really bad and means that you are not spending time with your family would your parents intercede? Explain to them that you really want to spend time with them all but that his behaviour makes you really upset. If your parents knew you were spending time away from them because he's pushing you away they might tell him to put a sock in it.

I don't know how these arguments are starting or escalating but is he using the 'eating animals' card to 'win' arguments about other stuff? Has this become his secret weapon to get his way? Sometimes it helps to figure out what people are trying to achieve by behaving like idiots and attack the problem from a different angle.

Best of luck with it all.
holnrew, Purp and no whey jose like this.
#6 Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 PM

well i'm almost 19, so hopefully i can move out soon. but here's the real shocker, he's in his 20's.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Yeah, i think it is an immaturity thing. He's always been this way and i need to just figure out how to avoid him when he's like this. I've talked with my dad, and our relationship is still really good. but that's exactly it, he likes making people angry and upset. he feels like he's won.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Back to Veg

Don't let him get under your skin - he is definitely doing these things to get a reaction out of you, so don't let him win. Just roll your eyes and walk away. Eventually he will get really bored and move onto picking on someone else for some other reason. I wonder if he doesn't get enough positive attention in his life that he feels like he needs to behave this way.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Vegan as f**k

Just ignore him...Unfortunately I have heard many people say things like that...They are just cut off from reality to such an extent that they feel they can joke about anything
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegansHaveThePhoneBox View Post
Yeah, i think it is an immaturity thing. He's always been this way and i need to just figure out how to avoid him when he's like this. I've talked with my dad, and our relationship is still really good. but that's exactly it, he likes making people angry and upset. he feels like he's won.
My advice is wear a GoPro or record him some way and then play it back for him. Tell him this is what he looks like to you and everyone else in the world, a stuck-up,elitist, arrogant, self-absorbed, self-important jerk that no one wants to be around.
Good luck with everything.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Tags
family , living with meat eaters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page