When to STFU about animal rights?? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By kallyho
  • 1 Post By 2kkatime

#1 Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 AM

When to STFU about animal rights??

I know people become vegetarian/vegan for lots of reasons, but it does seem like a lot of people here did it out of concern for animals.

So I am asking your advice: I am having trouble not coming off as obnoxious with my family, (and possibly with my friends) when it comes to animal rights.

The basic problem is knowing when to balance sharing what I know and I think others should know with not alienating people.

For instance, I obviously know consuming pasture-raised chicken and cows and all is not humane.

But my parents are very much into meat, and there's a local place that sells organic, pasture-raised, etc. that I like to frequent... especially since they sell delicious vegan wraps!

Anyway, my parents came home today with a chicken from Costco, and I said, Oh, that's too bad! I could have gotten it at (insert name of store) for you!

As always, my dad pointed out that it's cheaper at Costco (my parents are well-off, though). And so, even though I knew I was being a jerk, I said. Do you want to know WHY it's cheaper there?

My mom got really mad and said she didn't want to be lectured.

My bad, obviously.

As I type this, I realize I should perhaps treat talking about it like I do talking about being a Christian: wait until I am asked, or talk about it at a very relevant moment, occasionally.

How does everyone else handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Like you realized it should be done tactically. Yet it is good to throw it out there every once in a while or when it feels ok because it will get people thinking about it.
Some people are slow learners, but most people are just not able to change. Not only is it a held belief instilled from generations of cultural folly, but it is an addiction and it is very hard to convince people with addictions that what they are doing is not good for them. And it would be hard for them to stop unless they come to the point in their life where they experience the compassion or sensitivity to develop conviction to quit.
Being a good example is sometimes the best we can do and it will bring about change in some ways.
Developing progressively in a certain way of life is going to bring about the realization of how uninformed, deluded or ignorant others are.
On a deep personal level it doesn't matter so much what others are doing, but what we ourselves are doing... is what is most important, and that still will need endless amounts of work to progress in our own journey. We must learn tolerance and patience and humility.
I have figured that I'm a screwed up person to have been born into a screwed up world and I'm gonna work real hard on getting to a better place. Those who don't care about that, or about doing that, are destined to their own fate.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#3 Old 08-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I realize I should perhaps treat talking about it like I do talking about being a Christian: wait until I am asked, or talk about it at a very relevant moment, occasionally.
That's how I try to handle it. I figure less is more.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

#4 Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 PM

I agree, wait until someone really wants to know in order to consider this diet and lifestyle for themselves. Don't lecture and my personal philosophy - celebrate everything anyone ever does that moves them closer to a plant based diet.

Stopped buying ice cream - Fabulous.

Is only having meat two times a week instead of 5 - Way to Go.

I want to spend my energy cheerleading the people who are trying to change, not pissing off those who have no interest.

That said, though, I think there is a strong place for activism, just not with our friends and family. They will come along if they are interested.
Tiger Lilly and 2kkatime like this.
#5 Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually I sometimes tell people to eat their pets in a joking type manner....then when they say no I ask them what's so different from eating a cat compared to a pig. Again I keep it light.
#6 Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Ankle Biter

My tactic of late has been to bring up more of my animal rights activities than what I eat. I find the discussion usually ends up where I can talk about being vegan anyway. For example, when people say "how was your weekend?" I can say "it was great! We had a very well attended Whole Foods rabbit protest, and we got x number of signatures on our petition!" Things like that usually get the conversation going in the right direction.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM

If the topic comes up, for instance being asked why I went vegan, I will share what I have learned.

Otherwise, I let my lifestyle speak for itself. I like to think...and/or hope...that the decisions I make will speak louder than any lectures I could give.
leedsveg likes this.

It's easy to let go of faith in humanity, and harder to have hope for a better future....but if we all give up, there IS no future.
#8 Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't talk about it much, however.. If they instigate I don't stop talking until they give up, and don't give a **** whether they get mad or not.

So I guess my answer is.. When to STFU? Never.

Last edited by Diesel; 08-21-2014 at 02:24 AM.
#9 Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL@USDA! View Post

My mom got really mad and said she didn't want to be lectured.

My bad, obviously.

As I type this, I realize I should perhaps treat talking about it like I do talking about being a Christian: wait until I am asked, or talk about it at a very relevant moment, occasionally.

How does everyone else handle this?
I follow the Colleen Patrick-Goudreu rule of not discussing food politics when people have food in their hands (unless it's vegetarian/vegan food). People get defensive about it and won't listen.

But being veg is who I am. I spend a lot of time talking about how nice everything tastes :P And I post on FB if there's something sad that's happened in the news.

There are ways to talk about it, but you have to find your own style. Maybe listen to some podcasts of vegans/vegetarian activists about the different ways we can talk about it with friends and family.
#10 Old 08-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

When they talk the "pasture raised, free range, kum by ya" bull****, just remind them that they still die one at a time.
#11 Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amira23 View Post
When they talk the "pasture raised, free range, kum by ya" bull****, just remind them that they still die one at a time.

Hey, I do this too!

Whenever someone says to me (which is often) "Surely you can eat meat from animals raised free and happy in open fields, blah, blah", I say "Free and happy... and then they had to die, right?"

I don't see how people don't get that!
#12 Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM

I have a friend who would like to be vegan, really she would, but she likes to eat meat too much. One day she said to me, Whenever I eat meat i say a special prayer for the animal that died.

Now I didn't say anything except, oh really, but I cannot see how that helped that animals. BUT perhaps this is the first step in her changing her ways - or not.
#13 Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyho View Post
I have a friend who would like to be vegan, really she would, but she likes to eat meat too much. One day she said to me, Whenever I eat meat i say a special prayer for the animal that died.

Now I didn't say anything except, oh really, but I cannot see how that helped that animals. BUT perhaps this is the first step in her changing her ways - or not.
Shes just trying to make herself feel better about what she is doing.

Of course it doesn't help anything... I'd try to get her to realize that.

Tags
parents , pasture-raised , talking about a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page