I think my mums turning against me??? :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
hi so told my mum a few days ago that I wanted to be vegetarian and she seemed supportive, she didn't think I could do it but she seemed to agree with my morals (ish). but I came home from school today to find a huge bowl of marshmallows sitting on my bedside table... now correct me if im wrong, but i though veggies couldn't eat them? what should I do??? I would check the packaging but i cant because there not in the packet there in a bowl. should I just eat them, confront her about it, chuck them in the bin.... I'm getting a bit annoyed now, sorry I needed to vent a bit. but what should I do? I dont want to upset her if shes gone out of her way to buy me some veg marshmallows as a pressie , but what if shes trying to tempt me to eat gelatine and she doesnt want me to be a vegetarian? or what if she just didnt realise that vegetarians couldnt eat marshmallows??? please help, I'd love to know if anybody else has had a similar experience and what they did, thankss

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
It sounds to me like she didnt know they contain geletin.

It is difficult for someone who is not going veggie to support and follow someone who is, when they dont know anything about it.
My family were the same, they didnt know what I could and couldnt eat...well chose not to eat.
There is also going to be things like your Mum saying 'i read this...and that' Do not get mad, any effort at all on an Omnis part should not be thrown back at them.

You could say...oh thanks for the sweets...do you still have the packet. I read somewhere that some sweets contains (ingredient) and that makes them non veggie.

You seem to be getting worked up over nothing. Its not like she told you youre not going veggie and thats final. She seems to be being supportive and made a geniune mistake.
Best advice I will ever give new veggies who are still living wit their families...NEVER make it into an arguement. and NEVER get all high and mighty.
Be calm, offer to help with shopping and cooking ideas...showing that you have a mature approach to this choice you are making will go a long way to prooving to your family that you are serious.
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#3 Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
kk, thankyou

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#4 Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
 
a Balloon a Balloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 638
sounds like an honest mistake- I sometimes forget about marshmallows myself.
a Balloon a Balloon is offline  
#5 Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
OP, has she done a lot of other stuff in your life that would make you think she's trying to undermine you now? What makes you think it was on purpose rather than a mistake?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#6 Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
 
Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 237
I don't think she is trying to trick you and derail your veggie attempts. Most people don't know marshmallows are a no-go. I'd just ask her if you could read the package to double check that she didn't get you special veggie ones or something, and then politely tell her something along the lines of "That's too bad, these have gelatin in them. I feel terrible because you got me a special treat and I can't have it." and then share the marshmallows with the non veggie members of the household and thank your mom anyway.
Pace is offline  
#7 Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

OP, has she done a lot of other stuff in your life that would make you think she's trying to undermine you now? What makes you think it was on purpose rather than a mistake?

Taht would be my question too ..

Is that kind the kind of thing your mother would, or wouldn't, ever deliberately do?

Congrats on crossing over to the light side of the force and welcome to the forum btw
Clueless Git is offline  
#8 Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 437
I didn't know about gelatin in marshmallows for a really long time. Most people who aren't vegetarian wouldn't even think of it, in my experience. I wouldn't worry about it
YellowRose is offline  
#9 Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I didn't know about gelatin in marshmallows for a really long time. Most people who aren't vegetarian wouldn't even think of it, in my experience.

Agreed. Most new vegetarians have no clue of the gelatin/marshmallow connection so I wouldn't expect omnis to know it either.
fadeaway1289 is offline  
#10 Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
has she done a lot of other stuff in your life that would make you think she's trying to undermine you now? What makes you think it was on purpose rather than a mistake?

well the other day, we were at her friends house and she offered me a slice of pepperoni pizza, and before I could politeley decline, she said "she can't, she's a vegetarian now". She said it in a really demeaning tone, like she was telling me off. and also, we have to make sausage rolls at school,* and i was a little frustrated trying to think just how i was meant to follow the recipe our teacher gave us (if we dont follow it exactly, we get marked down) without meat, and my stepdad came in and asked (to my mum) whats wrong with her??? and she said " on she keeps moaning 'im a vegetarian now, I cant make sausage rolls!' " she said the bit that was meant to me the way a 4 year old tells somebody they dont like that there not inveted to their party, lol odd way to describe it but thats the only way i can describe it. maybe I'm just being paranoid??? Im not sure. they werent veggie marshmallows though, so its a good thing i didnt eat them. she says she didnt know though so probably just a mistale. sould i be worried about the other things though?

Quote:
Congrats on crossing over to the light side of the force and welcome to the forum btw

thanks, nice to meet you
*does anybody actually know a recipe for veggie sausage rolls? I cant find any through google or the rest of the forum

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#11 Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

sould i be worried about the other things though?


Not really. It's pretty usual behaviour from people who are used to eating meat when they are confronted with someone who no longer wants to.

Quote:
does anybody actually know a recipe for veggie sausage rolls?

You can buy pre-mixed sausage roll mix or you can make your own from vegan sausage and pastry. Google is your friend on that one cos I don't know where in the world you're from.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#12 Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
Just do what I said before. keep calm...she probably assumes its a phase youre going through....heck I was 23 when I went veggie and my mum thought it was a phase. She is sp supportive now though. Just offer to help out with cooking and shopping...even offer to do chores to 'pay' for veggie food. It all shows you are mature and serious about this choice.
Youll find some great recipes on here and just asking is good too, that way you can suggest meal ideas that can be adapted easily for meat eaters and veggies (like pasta...make a sauce and before adding meat take some out of the pot for yourself and add beans etc)
As for the sausage rolls, you can get meat free sausages, like Linda McCartney, sometimes only £1 at places like Iceland (im assuming youre from the UK here) or plenty of supermarkets like Sainsburys and Tesco have their own 'meat free' range. Just get some of those, theyll be frozen, defrost them and youre good to go!
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#13 Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,273
If you're in the US, Field Roast has some good veg*an sausages...Unless you meant breakfast sausages.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#14 Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 437
Check out this cookbook: http://triumphofthelentil.wordpress....egory/recipes/

The recipe I'm thinking of isn't included for free online, but in that book, there's a recipe for "not-sausage rolls." The filling is lentils and oats, and you add ketchup, dried and fresh herbs, a bit of soy-free "soy sauce" (I'm sure real soy sauce would work too), grated onion and apple...They're INCREDIBLE and they really do resemble sausage rolls. I've fooled omnis with them - not intentionally, mind you. They weren't listening when I said what it was and kept eating them like, "ooh, sausage!"

I don't know what kind of time frame you have for doing your project, but if you can get ahold of that book, I highly recommend that recipe. It's divine.

I'm sorry about your mom My family waffles between being somewhat supportive and calling me a "finicky food snob," so I hear you. They act like I'm being a fussy diva by not eating chicken. You just have to try to let it not get to you, because any sort of reaction will only seem to validate them.
YellowRose is offline  
#15 Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Thanks everyone, Im in the uk btw and I just bought some quorn sausages and im hoping they will work, YellowRose I will try your recipe at the weekend but we have to make these ones at school in my food technology lesson (dont know if you have that wherever you live, but you just get given a recipe and cook stuff at school while a lazy teacher sits there and tells you youre doing it wrong) and if we dont follow the recipe exactly, we get marked down 3 grades, no matter what they taste like. i personally think thats discriminatory against vegetarians, but i dont want to make a fuss or theyll just kick me out of the lesson...
Quote:
I'm sorry about your mom My family waffles between being somewhat supportive and calling me a "finicky food snob," so I hear you. They act like I'm being a fussy diva by not eating chicken.

hehe I know the the feeling, when I told my mum she said "ok, but your not gonna be really picky are you? like, your still gonna have beef gravy?"
mmmmm yummy, boiled cow bone juice....

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#16 Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
actually, I know I said I'd try it but you didnt give any quantities. would you mind sharing or am I gonna have to try and find this book (is it even legal to post it here)?

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#17 Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
I cant help with the book thing.
The cookery lesson. is the only part of the recipe that is none veg the sausages?
Perhaps you could ask to speak to your teacher in private, explain you are vegetarian, and at the same time say 'but I can supply my own meatfree sausages if thats ok?'

As for gravy.
Bisto is vegetarian if you make it with nothing else, ie just mix the granules with hot water(some people put stock cubes and meat juice in when they make it up)


If there is anything else I can help with, just ask. Im in the UK too. Going veggie is hard when you dont know the tricks of the trade
Most of the time things are veggie friendly anyway, so theres no need to look for special brands or anything.
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#18 Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

As for gravy.
Bisto is vegetarian if you make it with nothing else, ie just mix the granules with hot water(some people put stock cubes and meat juice in when they make it up)

Really? but it's beef flavoured...but then again McCoys flame grilled steak crisps (chips for Americans) are vegetarian and I think the chicken ones are vegan, so maybe all these there are more "meaty" things out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

The cookery lesson. is the only part of the recipe that is none veg the sausages?
Perhaps you could ask to speak to your teacher in private, explain you are vegetarian, and at the same time say 'but I can supply my own meatfree sausages if thats ok?'

I would do that, but, well it kind of hard to explain. I'll post the recipe and see if you understand my proble,m we have to follow this recipe but we bring our own ingredients so it doesn't matter if I can do it with quorn or linda mcartney or something similar because she wont notice... but anyway...

INGREDIENTS:
1 packet of ready made puff pastry
400g of sausage meat, or 6 large sausages approx.
1 slice of bread

METHOD:
use the food processor to make the bread into fresh breadcrumbs. Then mix with the sausage meat, or if you have sausages split the skins, remove the meat and then mix., then roll out your pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. cut into strips 10cm by 5cm, and fill with the sausage filling. bake at 190C for 10 minuste, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.


so Im not sure if I'll be able to mix Quorn or Linda McCartney into breadcrumbs the same way you would with sausage meat ( or sausage gristle, ligaments, and liver lining. Then again, if your gonna kill a pig, at least there not chucking half of it in the bin). Dose anybody know a way I can follow that recipe but with some kind of meat sub? i have googled it and some people have said sosmix, but I dont know what sosmix is. Apparentley you add water to it and use it like sausage meat though... does anybody know if you can make it in advance, or if you have to make it straight before you use it??? Soory this is so long

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#19 Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
 
Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 237
Could you possibly grind up the veggie sausage in advance at home (In food processor or blender) and bring 400g of it in like that to make it more like "sausage meat?". Veggie versions tend to be a little dry for whats being asked though, so you might have to add in a little water. I think the consistency you'll be going for would be somewhat pasty so it can be easily combined with the bread crumbs. The other option would be to bring in 400g of something like this(I don't know if you are vegan in which case the following suggestion won't work):
Filling:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (125g) pecans, chopped finely
1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube (I used 1 tsp of stock powder)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used 2 tbsp tamari)
250g cottage cheese
1 cup rolled oats

This is a sausage roll filling I found on the internet. It's placed in puff pastry and cooked the same way. I think if you brought it in premixed in a tupperware the same as you would bulk sausage meat your teacher might think that was a valid replacement. You could just tell them it was "veggie sausage meat". You don't have to tell them it's a homemade mix.

I'd let your teacher know in advance (In private if you prefer) that you are using veggie sausage, so at least if they don't turn out perfectly he/she will understand you did your best to honor the recipe as given...
Pace is offline  
#20 Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
Yes things with a beefy flavour are veggie...mostly I think all of the Bisto tubs are veggie friendly. it will say on them 'suitable for vegetarians' and with a bit of expert label reading youll soon know what to look out for. We call them 'accidently veggie' because most people wouldnt think they are!

Things like Pot Noodles are veggie and some are even vegan too! And Sainsburys own brand cheaper knockoff noodle pots are completely vegan.


The veggie sausages when defrosted should handle like meat sausages, they will be soft and plyable. I used to defrost them, cut them into small pieces and roll them to make 'meat' balls.

I know how hard it can be to start out being veggie so please dont hesitate to ask for advice. Youd be suprised how easy this can be, and your Mum wont have to spend a fortune buying 'special' veggie brands. Alot of the stuff most people buy everyday is veggie.
You are fortunate to be in the UK, we have the best labelling. 99% of veggie things have a logo on them to say they are veggie friendly
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#21 Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

The veggie sausages when defrosted should handle like meat sausages, they will be soft and plyable. I used to defrost them, cut them into small pieces and roll them to make 'meat' balls.

really? what type of sausages did you use? as in, were they TVP, soy, mycoprotein (Quorn) ???

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#22 Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
Just the Linda McCartney ones.
I should imagine the quorn ones will be fine. Although in my opinion, the Linda McCartney ones have a rougher texture and therefore are more sausage like. The Quorn ones are more like hotdogs...
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#23 Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

actually, I know I said I'd try it but you didnt give any quantities. would you mind sharing or am I gonna have to try and find this book (is it even legal to post it here)?

I'm not sure if it'd be legal to post someone else's published recipe Sorry. I'm sure you could do a variation of it though, and just spice it to taste.
YellowRose is offline  
#24 Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 AM
 
yally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,922
I'm really shocked at your school, have you actually spoken to them about doing a veggie version? You won't be their first vegetarian and you won't be their last, are you sure they don't let vegetarians do an alternative?
yally is offline  
#25 Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I'm really shocked at your school, have you actually spoken to them about doing a veggie version? You won't be their first vegetarian and you won't be their last, are you sure they don't let vegetarians do an alternative?

I think its pretty ridiculous and no I doubt I am there first vegetarian but food tech isn't a legal requirement to be taught, and if they think I'm going to be hard work they'll just give me double PE instead, and I REALLY hate PE. My school isn't exactly pro-veggie, even the dinner ladies look at you funny when you say you want cauliflower cheese, a pretty healthy option in my mind and not just something vegetarians eat, instead of their greasy cheeseburgers or bacon sandwiches or fish fingers. I just think it makes way more sense to keep my gob shut for as long as possible about it... I think it's pretty unfair to vegetarians, but its my decision to live like this and I want as little hassle as possible, so I'm going to try...

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#26 Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
 
yally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,922
I'm just really confused, there must be guidance for schools to cater for vegetarians, including in HE. Heck, most people use a vegetarian diet for their case study at HE GCSE. Have you even mentioned it at all? I'm pretty sure it would be completely illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your diet.

They might be more accommodating than you would think.
yally is offline  
#27 Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
 
xXkessieXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I'm just really confused, there must be guidance for schools to cater for vegetarians, including in HE. Heck, most people use a vegetarian diet for their case study at HE GCSE. Have you even mentioned it at all? I'm pretty sure it would be completely illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your diet.

They might be more accommodating than you would think.

I haven't said anything to this specific teacher, but the school knows because you have to tell them about things like that so they can fill out a load of random paperwork about you. So she might know, but she might not. I don't really want to tell her, not because I'm not proud of my choice, but because I enjoy cooking and most of the things we cook are desserts anyway which obviously are veggie or very easy to make veggie, and I don't want to be kicked out just for one recipe. you have to eat, so they have to provide a vegetarian alternative (not a vegan one though!) but because you don't have to know how to cook sausage rolls to live, they don't have to allow it, and I dont want to tazke the risk.

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
xXkessieXx is offline  
#28 Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 237
You should be proud of your choice: and they really can't discriminate because of your beliefs about eating meat. For example- I'm sure that they would make an accommodation if someone was Jewish or needed Halal meats, or couldn't eat meat for religious reasons. They can't kick you out of class for ASKING about alternatives! The worst they can say is no (in which case just use veggie sausage/mix anyway since they won't know the difference), but they might just say yes. There is no reason to feel weird or stupid because you have a question. Other people probably don't care as much as you worry they will.
Pace is offline  
#29 Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
 
yally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post

You should be proud of your choice: and they really can't discriminate because of your beliefs about eating meat. For example- I'm sure that they would make an accommodation if someone was Jewish or needed Halal meats, or couldn't eat meat for religious reasons. They can't kick you out of class for ASKING about alternatives! The worst they can say is no (in which case just use veggie sausage/mix anyway since they won't know the difference), but they might just say yes. There is no reason to feel weird or stupid because you have a question. Other people probably don't care as much as you worry they will.



Don't be so paranoid about being vegetarian! It's a positive choice
yally is offline  
#30 Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

I haven't said anything to this specific teacher, but the school knows because you have to tell them about things like that so they can fill out a load of random paperwork about you. So she might know, but she might not. I don't really want to tell her, not because I'm not proud of my choice, but because I enjoy cooking and most of the things we cook are desserts anyway which obviously are veggie or very easy to make veggie, and I don't want to be kicked out just for one recipe. you have to eat, so they have to provide a vegetarian alternative (not a vegan one though!) but because you don't have to know how to cook sausage rolls to live, they don't have to allow it, and I dont want to tazke the risk.

You should be proud of your choice. You made up your mind to be a vegetarian, and you should speak up about it. If you're uncomfortable, ask after class if you can make a veggie alternatative. The worse they'll say is, "No, because..."and give you a lame reason.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off