Vegan roommate a must? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Covered in Waves

In consideration from the "Vegan significant other" Thread, I began to think, Is it a must for you to have a vegan (or vegetarian) roommate?

One of Papayamoon's posts got me thinking about it because when you're putting your things into a household, every decision has a reason behind it. How does that go with roommates? I'm not talking about family, we don't have a choice behind them, but when you are *choosing* who to live with, is that a requirement?

It will be from now on, for me. I didn't realize what a problem it really was until recently, as I didn't think it would be a problem at all living with an omni.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Beginner

I think at this point in my life yes, I dont know 5-10 years ago.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#3 Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Beginner

My roommates eat meat. Before I lived with them, I had tried to find someone who was vegetarian as well, but it just didn't work out. Sometimes you have to sacrifice stuff like that in order to get cheap rent/desirable living location.

Thankfully, my roommates right now don't really cook too much meat in the house but when they do it smells pretty bad... we all have our own separate dishes and everything so it works out well.

I definitely don't think that when I stop living with my current roommates that I could live with someone who ate more meat than they do right now. I could live with a meat eater again, but I would prefer not to.
#4 Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Ira
Banned

This is actually a very current topic for me My roommate isn't a vegetarian, but for the past 3 years we lived together it was never a real issue. she pretty much never had meat in the house (unless we were ordering things delivered). Well, I wasn't a vegetarian all those years. I was pescatarian for the most, but we didn't have much fish in the house either

Now it has changed a bit. Her boyfriend moved in with us and he is a huge meat eater. So we have steaks, bacon in the fridge and lots of McDonalds bags around the house. But I must say it doesn't bother me that much. Like yeah, when I look in the fridge and see bacon i think "ugh...". But I am happy that when he cooks he makes sure to always have vegetarian stuff for me and meat on the side for him and my other friend. It feels the same to me as having friends who don't live with me but eat meat or going to my parents and have them have meat on the table. As long as they are not being annoying about it, I can deal with that. It is different than with a boyfriend because I want to agree with a guy I have a serious relationship on pretty much everything that matters to me, with friends I am just into mutual interests and respect

Note: although I must say that when we move apart, If I would still want to have a roommate I will most likely look in the veg ads rfor veg*n roommates. I think it would be easier and it is different if those roomates aren't also my best friends
#5 Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

It would be nice, but it's not a requirement for me. I like being a good influence on people

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Beginner

I think it depends how they are. If they wash their dishes well and are considerate and dont cook heaps and heaps of meat it can be ok. But it can be a nightmare if they are not like this.
#7 Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

as far as a roommate, i could go with either, i suppose, as long as the other person really respected my choices and my space.

the situation i'm in till the first of next month is terrible. it's all i can do to keep from cracking his head. he's an obnoxious spoiled drunk whose father is very wealthy, but he himself can't wipe his own ass.

i had a friend of mine (another traveling nurse) move in here with us in this 3 bedroom house, and he lived here a month but left because of this drunken idiot's noise and general inconsiderate behavior. when he left, mr. drunk (who has this house only because of daddy) agreed to refund his deposit, but tried to keep it. so i deducted it from my rent, payed him the balance and gave my friend his deposit back. mr. drunk went ballistic at my friend because he's afraid of me. my friend had a key made because mr. drunk of course didn't have the 2 dollars to buy him a key. anyway, mr. drunk was threatening my friend over the key, so my friend broke the key in half and i gave the two pieces of the key to mr. drunk, who was as you guessed, drunk. this was last night. mr. drunk went wild because he didn't get a key he could use (though he didn't pay for it).

my friend smokes a bit of pot and smoked some with mr. drunk, who is on probation for his 3rd dui. now mr. drunk wants to try to get my friend in trouble at work because he smoked pot with him. it's been a fiasco and i finally FIRMLY told him last night i was sick of this and he needed to let it go right this instant. today, mr. drunk said all as cool.

i am so looking forward to loading my elliptical on my truck and making a beeline to my house in florida! obviously, mr. drunk isn't going to have my deposit money to refund because he has blown it putting an expensive stereo system in his monster truck. fortunately, i have a contingency plan. he'll be pissed when he figures it all out . by the time he does, i'll be in florida, laughing all the way.

i'm not going to kick his ass, though i'd sure like to. it's not worth it for me to fight this idiot. i just don't want to know him. this has been a roommate disaster.
#8 Old 08-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

It would be nice, because you could take turns cooking for the day and share an interest in veg*n issues, topics, and special foods like substitutes. However, I don't think it's a must, an omni roommate just has to respect your choice and not try to get you to eat meat or be rude about your choice. I'd probably look for a veg*n roommate first, and prefer having one, but it's not completely necessary for me. It's different in an actual relationship like marriage, because it's a closer, more personal relationship and you're going to be living with this person for the rest of your life, and I think there's potentionally a closer bond to be created in a relationship with two veg*ns because of the similar interests and values factor.
#9 Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

I don't mind.

Actually, considering my situation now there's probably only going to be one person who I will share a house with in the next few years (my best friend) and he's a chef.. And he can cook amazing veg*n food and would quite happily cook meals for me.. And he will have no issues with keep utensils etc separate considering that his kitchen at work keeps the vegetarian food in a completely separate part of the kitchen and all the utensils etc that are for vegetarian food are colour-coded with blue (blue handled knives for example). The non-veggie stuff is red. Even the vegetables that are going in the meat dishes are prepared in the vegetarian part of the kitchen and then carried over to the meat area.. It's awesome Oh and the gloves are different colours as well.. Blue gloves for veggie area.. Normal coloured gloves for meat area..
And because I know him very well.. He would probably have a separate fridge for his meat and stuff just because that's what he is like...

So yeah.. I would be sorted if it turns out that we can live together..

But the likelihood is that I will end up with my own place once I move out of home..
#10 Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Beginner

I wish I had the luxury to pick and choose who I live with. I've lived with people whose meat-eating was the least of my issues with them in the past.

I miss living in an all-vegetarian house, though. Sadly, I can't see it ever happening again. I can't afford to live on my own for the next few years and then I'll probably move in with my better half, who isn't vegan.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#11 Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

It would be nice, but it's not a requirement for me. I like being a good influence on people

right on

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#12 Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's and awesome point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

as far as a roommate, i could go with either, i suppose, as long as the other person really respected my choices and my space.

the situation i'm in till the first of next month is terrible. it's all i can do to keep from cracking his head. he's an obnoxious spoiled drunk whose father is very wealthy, but he himself can't wipe his own ass.

i had a friend of mine (another traveling nurse) move in here with us in this 3 bedroom house, and he lived here a month but left because of this drunken idiot's noise and general inconsiderate behavior. when he left, mr. drunk (who has this house only because of daddy) agreed to refund his deposit, but tried to keep it. so i deducted it from my rent, payed him the balance and gave my friend his deposit back. mr. drunk went ballistic at my friend because he's afraid of me. my friend had a key made because mr. drunk of course didn't have the 2 dollars to buy him a key. anyway, mr. drunk was threatening my friend over the key, so my friend broke the key in half and i gave the two pieces of the key to mr. drunk, who was as you guessed, drunk. this was last night. mr. drunk went wild because he didn't get a key he could use (though he didn't pay for it).

my friend smokes a bit of pot and smoked some with mr. drunk, who is on probation for his 3rd dui. now mr. drunk wants to try to get my friend in trouble at work because he smoked pot with him. it's been a fiasco and i finally FIRMLY told him last night i was sick of this and he needed to let it go right this instant. today, mr. drunk said all as cool.

i am so looking forward to loading my elliptical on my truck and making a beeline to my house in florida! obviously, mr. drunk isn't going to have my deposit money to refund because he has blown it putting an expensive stereo system in his monster truck. fortunately, i have a contingency plan. he'll be pissed when he figures it all out . by the time he does, i'll be in florida, laughing all the way.

i'm not going to kick his ass, though i'd sure like to. it's not worth it for me to fight this idiot. i just don't want to know him. this has been a roommate disaster.

You make me not want to bitch about my roommate, because thats so far far worse.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
#13 Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Beginner

Definitely not a requirement. Mine isn't, though he slowly started eating healthier since we moved in together.

Disclaimer: I'm insane.
#14 Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Beginner

If i could have a vegan or vegetarian room mate or partner id be very happy.
#15 Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Beginner

good luck finding a stable room mate nowadays, let alone a vegan one. lol
#16 Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

If I am in a position to be choosy then they would have to be, yes. I would hate to live with a meat-eater again but in desperate times I would cope with it.
#17 Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Banned

this is the first time i've lived with anyone for years, and it was only for a 3 month contract. if there is a next time, i'm going to bite the bullet and rent a small apartment by myself. i haven't wanted to beat anyone up like this in a long time, but i find myself feeling aggressive around him. that's not cool, and i don't want to do that.
#18 Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Beginner

Definitely not a requirement for me. After being vegetarian and near-vegan for about three years now, the smell of meat cooking or the sight of it does not really bother me. It does a little, but not nearly to the extent that I thought it would have by this point.

Obviously, I would feel very grateful if I ever entered into a vegan roommate situation. But to me I'm viewing it as more of a bonus than something that I would expect and need. But since I plan on living in Seattle and/or Bellingham for the foreseeable future, my odds do go up a bit.

Now a significant other, not sure yet (I'm single), but as far as a roommate goes I'm pretty open minded right now. As long as they were respectful.

But I am hoping to get my own apartment in the near future and make that place 100 percent vegetarian and as near-vegan as possible.
#19 Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Definitely not a requirement for me. After being vegetarian and near-vegan for about three years now, the smell of meat cooking or the sight of it does not really bother me. It does a little, but not nearly to the extent that I thought it would have by this point.

Obviously, I would feel very grateful if I ever entered into a vegan roommate situation. But to me I'm viewing it as more of a bonus than something that I would expect and need. But since I plan on living in Seattle and/or Bellingham for the foreseeable future, my odds do go up a bit.

Now a significant other, not sure yet (I'm single), but as far as a roommate goes I'm pretty open minded right now. As long as they were respectful.

But I am hoping to get my own apartment in the near future and make that place 100 percent vegetarian and as near-vegan as possible.

Are you really? I'm in Bellingham...

#20 Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Beginner

I hope I never find myself back in a position where I have to share an apartment or house with a stranger(s) but if I did, I don't think I could be picky about whether they were vegan or not, my main problem would be finding someone compatible with my lifestyle. Actually, it freaks me out having to think about sharing with someone who I might be the total opposite of - oh the horror! I hate all that crap.

m8itcanw8.com
#21 Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I hope I never find myself back in a position where I have to share an apartment or house with a stranger(s) but if I did, I don't think I could be picky about whether they were vegan or not, my main problem would be finding someone compatible with my lifestyle. Actually, it freaks me out having to think about sharing with someone who I might be the total opposite of - oh the horror! I hate all that crap.

i'm in total agreement that we'd never be roommates. that would be a fate worse than hell for both of us, i'm sure. at the very least, i'd steal your food.
#22 Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Beginner

An acquaintance and friend of a friend will be moving into my home at the end of the month. He eats a lot of meat. My home has always been 100% veg, but I said that he could grill his meat outside, on his own grill and he could heat convenience foods containing meat in his own microwave. He will be using his own dishes. I know even this is going to bother me, but it's just for a couple of months until the two friends can get a place together.
#23 Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Beginner

I've never had a vegan roommate, or even a vegetarian one. My soon to be roommate (next month) is vegan, and we're both thrilled about it! Both of us vegan, both of us sober, both of us gay. FINALLY, someone I have something in common with!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#24 Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I've never had a vegan roommate, or even a vegetarian one. My soon to be roommate (next month) is vegan, and we're both thrilled about it! Both of us vegan, both of us sober, both of us gay. FINALLY, someone I have something in common with!

are you interested in him romantically? that would seem to add another level of complexity to the situation.
#25 Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

are you interested in him romantically? that would seem to add another level of complexity to the situation.

there MIGHT be a mutual attraction, but there are a NUMBER of reasons why I'm not interested in pursuing that. Not the least of which is the whole roommate/friend/boyfriend dynamic that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Plus, I'm nearly 20 years older than him. Plus he's very newly sober (newbies are all a bit crazy). Plus, he's a Leo, and I'm a Taurus...

So we'll just leave that one be...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#26 Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Jealous!

#27 Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

i have decided it's not worth having a conflict with my roommate. if he gives me my 250 depost back, that's cool. if he doesn't have it, i'm going to ask him to let me take weights and settle it that way. if he won't do either, he's cheating me. and i've decided to let even that go rather than get all worked up. the last thing i want to do is get in a fight and hit this drunken fool and then have trouble with the system.

i actually feel a lot better having let it go. never again a roommate. a house guest, ok to help someone but only for a limited time.
#28 Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Beginner

I currently have 3 flatmates who are not veg*n. I don't like it at all, but that is more because they are messy and they don't clean up after themselves properly. Two of them are my friends and if I say something about the mess it gets cleaned up. The other is my friend's boyfriend and he is an utter dick. That couple are moving out at the end of the month and I can not wait. It will be such a relief having him gone. I hope in finding new flatmates to replace them I can find someone veg*n. I think I have a good chance of that where I live, there are plenty of veg people around here. I will still have one meat eater flatmate that way but if I find veg people for the other 2 rooms then he really will have to respect us and I will set aside a couple of things he can have meat on and make the rest of our equipment veg only. I currently keep a couple of frying pans and some of my utensils separate so there's no meat on them, which I only started doing because of how poor my flatmates are with cleanliness.
#29 Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Beginner

If I was in the postion that I needed a roomate to help pay the rent, I wouldn't be picky about whether they ate meat or not. I prefer a meat free home but having a place to stay and being able to pay my bills is more important to me. Actually, if I needed a roomate meat eating wouldn't even be in the top 3 requirements for living with me. I would demand someone responsible (pay rent on time), non partier(I like my quiet) and a willingness to live with kids part of the time.
#30 Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

last night mr. drunk was in full colors. he's decided that his truck isn't running right and that means my friend (who he tried to cheat out of his deposit) is responsible for damaging it. of course, he was drunk off his ass. if he gets behind the wheel drunk, i'm calling the cops. this would be his 4th dui, and i bet even daddy can't buy his way out this time. what a sorry ass sack of crap.

how did i ever get stuck in this situation? if i get through the next 2 weeks without nailing this ass, it will be a minor miracle. last night i was really holding it back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page