Meat leftovers in my fridge... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM

So my boyfriend is having a bit of a situation with his apartment, and long story short, we said he could stay at my house until it gets ironed out. He's been here about two months, and he's not paying rent (which I feel is relevant- we're doing him a favor).

Well, we don't allow meat in my house. He's been okay with this, and only eats meat when we go out to restaurants. The problem is when we go out to eat and he has leftovers. He'll bring them home and leave them in my fridge. I don't want him eating them at my house, but he forgets to take them to work and then ends up throwing them out. The only thing that bothers me more than someone eating meat is someone WASTING meat.

Also, I have to see them when I open the fridge, and it physically repulses me. I think, "My food is trapped in this enclosed box, sharing air with dead animal carcass" and I want to throw up. I feel like my house is the only place where I'm not forced to deal with hunks of animal flesh, and now my sanctuary is being violated.

I've tried to explain this to him, but he doesn't really "get it." He apologizes and just does it again. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Throw all of it out yourself immediately.

If you go out to eat with him, remind him that he can't keep that in your refrigerator.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Throw all of it out yourself immediately.

If you go out to eat with him, remind him that he can't keep that in your refrigerator.

Ugh, but I hate wasting food. Even if it is something I don't consider food, I would feel extremely guilty about throwing it out. :/
#4 Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Maybe you could give the doggie bag to a homeless person or feed the food to an animal, so it doesn't have to enter your fridge.
#5 Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Well, either he eats it all immediately, gives it away, throws it away or brings it into your fridge, right? The only other solution would be for him to NOT buy it, but that's not realistic now, is it?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Tom

^^^ What Delicioso posted.

Two weeks ago, we had bagels at my office- with cream cheese- and that weekend, the building management was going to chuck everything in the fridge. Nobody else wanted it so I took it home. My cat is now enjoying a tablespoon or two of plain soft cream cheese every few days; she will have finished it long before the expiration date. (Some cats cannot handle dairy, but mine can evidently).

Considering that having this stuff in your fridge practically makes you physically ill, your boyfriend isn't being considerate.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#7 Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM

My dad is an omnivore and he keeps all his crap in the fridge me and my mom keep our stuff. Big whoop. Not trying to be mean but I seriously suggest you get over it. Unless he's keeping food directly touching yours, then it's not actually violating your ethics. If he buys a dead animal, it's his problem to keep it fresh and eat it when he wants. If you're going to be this strict I'm surprised you haven't dumped him yet, simply on the grounds that he keeps meat in the refrigerator.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#8 Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 PM

if he's throwing stuff out anyway then you not allowing him to bring it to your house won't be wasting more food. he could buy a mini fridge to keep his stuff in as a compromise. you can get them for $50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

My dad is an omnivore and he keeps all his crap in the fridge me and my mom keep our stuff. Big whoop. Not trying to be mean but I seriously suggest you get over it. Unless he's keeping food directly touching yours, then it's not actually violating your ethics. If he buys a dead animal, it's his problem to keep it fresh and eat it when he wants. If you're going to be this strict I'm surprised you haven't dumped him yet, simply on the grounds that he keeps meat in the refrigerator.

there's a big difference between you being allowed to use your parents' fridge that they keep meat in and someone not wanting meat in their own fridge in their own home that they paid for.
#9 Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Would it be acceptable if he put his leftovers in an opaque, airtight container?

I wouldn't have a problem with someone keeping meat leftovers in my fridge, but it does seem concerning to me that it seems you've made your wishes clear and he is ignoring them. I would talk to him again and be more firm. If it's ok if the leftovers are gone within 24 hours, let him know that. After 24 hours, he must eat them or throw them out himself.
#10 Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM

I don't want meat in my house. Not even if it is hermetically sealed.
#11 Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 AM

If he's not finishing all the food he orders then maybe he should start ordering "half portions" so there won't be any leftovers or wasting of food.

I think you need to talk to him again and make it clear how upset you are about this. He is living in YOUR house and therefore should be respecting your wishes.
#12 Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 AM

The storing of meat in my refrigerator would not disturb me nearly as much as the wasting of meat. That animal sacrificed its life for his meal, and it seems disrespectful to let that animal die in vain. Have you tried packing his lunch for him and always putting his leftover meat in there? I had this same problem with my husband before he went veg. I had to pack his lunches to avoid wasting the life of an animal.
#13 Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I think you need to talk to him again and make it clear how upset you are about this. He is living in YOUR house and therefore should be respecting your wishes.

Yep. A nice respectful chat with him so you can express your feelings on this issue clearly and calmly so he gets to understand your ethics. Or you could just do what I'd do and chuck his meaty crap in the bin, and the next time he goes to take leftovers home when you eat out, say "don't even think about putting that **** in my fridge else you won't be staying over tonight".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty View Post

Have you tried packing his lunch for him and always putting his leftover meat in there?

Pack his lunch?! Why don't you wipe his arse for him too while you're there.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty View Post

The storing of meat in my refrigerator would not disturb me nearly as much as the wasting of meat. That animal sacrificed its life for his meal, and it seems disrespectful to let that animal die in vain. Have you tried packing his lunch for him and always putting his leftover meat in there? I had this same problem with my husband before he went veg. I had to pack his lunches to avoid wasting the life of an animal.

Personally I feel the same way, and SeitanWorship mentioned that it bothers her when leftover meat is thrown out. But she also mentioned that merely seeing the stuff in the fridge and having it near her food bothers her. There's NO WAY she should have to actually handle the stuff. It's quite natural to have strong visceral feelings about such matters, and we can't always just turn those feelings off or ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

If he's not finishing all the food he orders then maybe he should start ordering "half portions" so there won't be any leftovers or wasting of food.

I think that's a great idea!

ETA: SeitanWorship: maybe my suggestion to give meat leftovers to a meat-eating human or animal wouldn't be such a great solution for you if handling meat leftovers would bother you also.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#15 Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Well, we don't allow meat in my house

It seems like you do really because you've already allowed your boyfriend to store it in your fridge. you sent the message to him that it was ok.
#16 Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM

It's your house, guess what? Your rules.

When you go out for dinner...tell him to leave it on his plate or eat it there because it's not going home. If he can't respect you enough to do that one little thing, it's time for him to go.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#17 Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Maybe you could give the doggie bag to a homeless person or feed the food to an animal, so it doesn't have to enter your fridge.

I second that.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#18 Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the responses, guys. When he went to work I pointed to the fridge and said, "Take your leftovers with you tonight or I'm feeding them to the dog."

He's having a hard time understanding why the meat bothers me, when I used to eat and prepare meat myself. I'm sure most of you guys understand this, but I was really good at ignoring "what meat is" when I was an omnivore. Now that I've seen it, I can't really un-see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page