Those Dissolving Stitches for Spaying Cats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Beginner

Has anyone else gotten their cat spayed with those stitches that are just supposed to come out on their own? do you know how long its supposed to take for those stitches to come out?

Audrey got fixed the end of September I believe. She had those dissolving stitches. End of October they still weren't out, we called and they said sometimes they take a while and to give it another month or so. So we did, well two months, and they're still not out. It doesn't seem to be bothering her. Is this normal or should I be pissed they screwed up the stitches on my kitty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Beginner

I'd call whoever spayed her again, just to be on the safe side!! Those vet people are used to neurotic over-concerend owners. ((Jay Kay!!))

Dissolvable sutures are the norm nowadays when performing routine spays and neuters and they may take a while to completely go away, depending on the animal.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 01-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Beginner

They can take forever to dissolve. If she isn't bothered by them, then it's fine.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Beginner

I wonder are they buried stitches or can you actually see them? A lot of vets use the buried stitches now to avoid having to bring them in for removal and to keep infection down. Typically the buried stitches will be felt in the abdomen for the duration of their life. If kitty isn't running a fever of displaying adverse behavior I wouldn't worry much. However, if you are still worried a quick vet check is perfectly okay. (I'd probably go in just for peace of mind).
#5 Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Beginner

How long dissolving sutures take to dissolve depends on the type used. The ones I use for my surgeries are PDS, retain holding strength for 6 weeks and take 6 months to dissolve completely. Something like monocryl or vicryl hold for 4 weeks and go away in 4months.

Are these sutures sticking out of the skin? If it's been more than 2 weeks since the surgery and the skin looks well healed, you can take those ones out (or have your vet do it).

If the area is getting lumpier and red, she may be having a reaction to the suture and your vet needs to take a look at her. She might need a surgery to remove the buried suture. All abdominal surgeries have two layers of sutures, one closes the body wall (muscle) and the other the skin, some vets do a third middle layer.
#6 Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Beginner

The skin isn't irritated as far as I can tell, it doesn't bother her. Her fur has grown all back so I can't tell if its red or not. The stitch is sticking out, I can feel it when I rub her belly. I can even grab it between two fingers. She's pretty fiesty, I'm pretty sure removing them would be a big ordeal and require a couple people to hold her still, even at the vets.

So do you think I should still take her to the vet?

More importantly, you think the vet didn't make a mistake or anything right? They made a mistake with giving us too much deworming medication to give her once before, I thought it seemed like too much so I didn't give her it, it was supposed to be something like .1-.2 CCs and they gave us a 1CC syringe full of the stuff. We took her back anyway for her spay as they'd done all her treatments since she was born, but if this is a second mistake we're getting her records and taking her elsewhere.
#7 Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by megbot View Post

The skin isn't irritated as far as I can tell, it doesn't bother her. Her fur has grown all back so I can't tell if its red or not. The stitch is sticking out, I can feel it when I rub her belly. I can even grab it between two fingers. She's pretty fiesty, I'm pretty sure removing them would be a big ordeal and require a couple people to hold her still, even at the vets.

So do you think I should still take her to the vet?

More importantly, you think the vet didn't make a mistake or anything right? They made a mistake with giving us too much deworming medication to give her once before, I thought it seemed like too much so I didn't give her it, it was supposed to be something like .1-.2 CCs and they gave us a 1CC syringe full of the stuff. We took her back anyway for her spay as they'd done all her treatments since she was born, but if this is a second mistake we're getting her records and taking her elsewhere.

Did you try calling the vet?

Most places don't charge for a quick chat with a technician over the phone to asses a situation.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#8 Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Beginner

yeah last time we called they just said 'give it more time' and sort of blew it off.

I'm going to call again I think and bring her in to have them removed. They don't feel like they're dissolving at all.
#9 Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Beginner

That isn't outside the realm of normal for dissolving stitches. You can just trim it back (I find human nail clippers work well) to the skin line if it's bugging you. If it doesn't easily tug out, the vet isn't going to have an easy time removing sutures under the skin either... without cutting the cat open again, which then would need to be sutured, etc.. etc...

#10 Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Beginner

I had that happen, with a cat last year. She was a stray that some one dumped, real mean kitty. Caught her on one of those humane cages, took her to the vet, got her fixed. Took me a few months after wards, but I got her to where she'd come to me and let me pet her. I noticed a thread sticking out, over a inch long, from her belly. I called the vet. They didn't really want to deal w/a stray. So, DH distracted her w/a can of tuna and I was able to snip it as close as possible. Eventually, it went away.
#11 Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

That isn't outside the realm of normal for dissolving stitches. You can just trim it back (I find human nail clippers work well) to the skin line if it's bugging you. If it doesn't easily tug out, the vet isn't going to have an easy time removing sutures under the skin either... without cutting the cat open again, which then would need to be sutured, etc.. etc...

should I trim it then try to tug it, or just tug it and see if it comes out?

She's pretty fiesty, i need a plan so its fast lol
#12 Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by megbot View Post

should I trim it then try to tug it, or just tug it and see if it comes out?

She's pretty fiesty, i need a plan so its fast lol

just trim it.

#13 Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

How long dissolving sutures take to dissolve depends on the type used. The ones I use for my surgeries are PDS, retain holding strength for 6 weeks and take 6 months to dissolve completely. Something like monocryl or vicryl hold for 4 weeks and go away in 4months.

Are these sutures sticking out of the skin? If it's been more than 2 weeks since the surgery and the skin looks well healed, you can take those ones out (or have your vet do it).

If the area is getting lumpier and red, she may be having a reaction to the suture and your vet needs to take a look at her. She might need a surgery to remove the buried suture. All abdominal surgeries have two layers of sutures, one closes the body wall (muscle) and the other the skin, some vets do a third middle layer.

Thank you, CheekyWhiskers, for the thorough answer from a vet!  My "baby boy" (16 lb+) Sammy is about 15 years old had surgery about 3 weeks ago (3-inch cut between shoulder blades to remove growth - turned out to be body reaction to his microchip which was also removed)...anyway my Vet said stitches will dissolve and of course they're still showing, but it's only been 3 weeks.  There are a couple places where I see a stitch sticking up so I may take him in to have them removed.  They do not seem to bother him and the site does not look infected - only thing is I see him scratching at it sometimes which concerns me in case his nail would catch a loop.  But thank you to letting us all know that the dissolving stitches really do take some time to disappear!  Take care.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page