Zebra finch sitting at bottom of cage - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Beginner

Yesterday my mom discovered one of our female Zebra finches (she's at least three years old) sitting at the bottom of her cage. She looks fairly normal- her wings are out a bit more and sometimes she'll look like she's breathing harder, but mostly she just appears to be a bit complexed that she can't fly up to any of the perches- she'll try to, but she acts as if she's injured somehow, although we can't see any blood or anything like that. She'll still eat millet spray and drink water we give her, and it's been probably around 24 hours and her condition doesn't seem to have worsened.

Is our poor baby egg-bound? All three have been laying eggs in their food dishes for a month-ish now.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Beginner

sounds like it. might want to check with your vet

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Yesterday my mom discovered one of our female Zebra finches (she's at least three years old) sitting at the bottom of her cage. She looks fairly normal- her wings are out a bit more and sometimes she'll look like she's breathing harder, but mostly she just appears to be a bit complexed that she can't fly up to any of the perches- she'll try to, but she acts as if she's injured somehow, although we can't see any blood or anything like that. She'll still eat millet spray and drink water we give her, and it's been probably around 24 hours and her condition doesn't seem to have worsened.

Is our poor baby egg-bound? All three have been laying eggs in their food dishes for a month-ish now.

Thanks!

That is definitely not a good sign. You need to take her to a vet right away. If you can, gently pick her up and look at her vent area. Gently feel around the area, and if it is firm and slightly swollen, that points to egg-binding. Also, her droppings will be larger and watery. The reason why an egg-bound bird can't perch is because the egg is pushing on her nerves that control the leg muscles, making them weaker.

In the future, (if she was actually egg-bound) make sure she gets a calcium supplement. This is also a common problem in birds that eat seed-diets only.

Good luck on getting her fixed up!
#4 Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks, guys. She could perch before, she just couldn't fly up to the higher perches. She spent a night happily in one of her seed dishes. lol

She's now able to fly up to the all the perches, since yesterday. She definitely looks like she's doing better- I wonder is her wings (or wing?) were wounded for some reason, although I can't imagine how that would have happened as it's a pretty peaceful little clan of Finches.

Also they don't eat just seed but lettuce pieces. And little pieces of cereal like crispy rice and Autumn Wheat. teehee And eggshell (not from my eggs, though!).
#5 Old 05-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Beginner

If she has got better so quickly it probably wasnt anything serious, but go to the vet if something similar happens again. my elderly budgie sometime has funny turns like that, but just because of his age (he is 12, and had a very traumatic life before we got him bieng subjected to having coffee poured over him, his tiny cage bieng knocked off its stand, 24 hr light and bieng fed biscuits. A nursing home full of demented patients and cigarette smoke is no place for a pet bird. He is now in an indoor avairy, but is still scared to go outside and will not eat anything but millet and spinach, so I think he has done pretty well to get to this age). Was it a very hot day? some birds dont cope well in heat, and panting with wings spread helps them to keep cool.

It probably wasn't her wings, but maybe she flew into the bars of her cage and is a little concussed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page