Curi is missing (ferret) :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM

and I've had a sinking feeling in my gut since I noticed he wasn't around...

I let them out to play last night and Curi took a shower with me. I dried him off pretty good (so hopefully if he got outside he isn't wet). He ran out of the bathroom and him and Crazy (the other ferret) started attacking Emma (the pitbull) and then hid under their cage. I went into the kitchen to bake caramel-peanut butter-apple bars and Crazy was in there playing with me the whole time, but Curi wasn't (which I should have noticed ugh). My boyfriend was doing laundry and left the door to the laundry room open at one point and Crazy got in and we noticed the vent was knocked off the dryer. Crazy was getting sleepy and so I put him to bed, and started looking for Curi.

It's pretty normal for them to fall asleep somewhere hidden, but they haven't been in a new spot in a long time (and normally it's Crazy that falls asleep), but Curi is short for Curious, cause he gets into everything. He's strong and a climber, so he could be anywhere.

My boyfriend and I tore the house apart looking for him. All the other doors were shut, but we searched every room. There is a spot he can get to under the cabinets, and we can't see or reach him there. Anyway we figured thats where he was and went to sleep, leaving our bedroom door open hoping he'd come see us soon.

We lost him once before a year ago, and he climbed right into bed with us in the middle of the night, but not this time. My bf and I slept terrible, waking up at every little noise. And they are both normally up and active in the morning, but we still didn't find him.

I can't imagine where he could be. We took apart the dryer and oven to make sure he hadn't died in there. Maybe I let him out accidently when I let the dogs out? We walked all around the neighborhood, but what are the odds of finding him if he got outside? I know from playing with them outside, that Crazy always wants to go home, but Curi gets distracted so easily. Maybe Emma ate him? I thought she was with me the whole time, but I'm not positive now.

I feel like a terrible mommy, I should have been watching him better of course. On the ride to work we saw a small animal in the road, but we stopped and it was definitely a squirrel. I wish I knew what to do. He's so tiny, I don't know how I'm supposed to think about work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM

I'm so sorry! It sounds like he could be anywhere so hopefully he will turn up soon. Don't be too hard on yourself, accidents happen no matter how careful you are. Good luck and let us know when he turns up!
#3 Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Well it is really nice outside, so if he did somehow get out, he should be ok out there. A couple more hours here, and then I can get home to see if he's back.
#4 Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM

I can imagine how you feel but don't beat yourself up. From your post alone I can tell you are a caring "mommy" for your companion animals. Sometimes these things can happen no matter how vigilant we try to be.
#5 Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Putting some signs up around your neighborhood wouldn't hurt if you think he might have gotten outside. I hope you find him.

I had two rats get outside once. We found both of them the next day. If something as small as a rat can be recovered once it escapes outside, I'm sure your ferret will pop up!
#6 Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM

I am so sorry you can't find him. I cannot imagine how you feel. Hopefully he will turn up, ferrets are sneaky little buggers and I am sure he just crashed some place weird. He'll show up. Keep us posted.
#7 Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I had two rats get outside once. We found both of them the next day. If something as small as a rat can be recovered once it escapes outside, I'm sure your ferret will pop up!

That's is good to hear! Thanks everyone for the thoughts and hugs.
#8 Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 AM

He's gone. If he was alive anywhere in the house he would have come out by now. We looked all over the neighborhood for him and asked our neighbors to keep an eye out for him, but it doesn't look good.

He was only one or maybe 2 years old.

Crazy isn't really doing well. He didn't eat yesterday, and Crazy is a chubby ferret, he always eats. I let him out and he ran all over the house looking for Curi, just running with his nose to the ground. He got excited near at the dryer vent, so maybe that is how Curi got out. I took him outside and he sniffed all around, but then he just kept going back to the same bushes. I couldn't see behind them, but I'm almost positive that if Curi was alive back there, he would have come out to see his brother, or at least made a noise.

I took Crazy back in and he kinda had a tantrum. He was throwing himself around wierd and pushing stuff all around their playroom, biting things, and trying to dig. It's hard to explain his behavior, but it was really sad. I let him go for awhile and then put him back in the cage. He curled up in the hammock and just layed there and sniffed it.

When we brought Curi home, Crazy was soo happy. He jumped up and down in his cage, and even wagged his tail. Curi explored the house and Crazy followed him everywhere trying to get him to play. It took Curi forever to learn to play, but eventually he learned how to wrestle, chase a ball and harrass the dogs with Crazy.

Curi and Crazy were kind of opposites. Crazy is wild, goofy, social, fearless around the dogs, cuddley and sleepy. Curi was delicate, shy, and tiny, but very strong. If he was out of the cage he'd stay awake as long as he could. He slept light, always hoping when we walked by that we'd let him out.

Curi made little giggling noises when he got excited, and he'd give kisses. He went nuts over little nibbles of sweet potato. He was ridiculously distractable, unless he was trying to climb something. He would try for hours to get up onto a table or dresser. His favorite toy was an old bottle of cranberry juice that he liked to push around the house.

We're gonna miss the little guy, I keep hoping that next time I walk in the door, he'll be there.

What can I do for Crazy?
#9 Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2026 View Post

He's gone. If he was alive anywhere in the house he would have come out by now. We looked all over the neighborhood for him and asked our neighbors to keep an eye out for him, but it doesn't look good.

We're gonna miss the little guy, I keep hoping that next time I walk in the door, he'll be there.

What can I do for Crazy?

Poor fur-baby. Thanks for the note on my thread. I really appreciate it and I'm really sorry that Curi is missing. I hope he finds his way home soon.

I'm not sure what to do about Crazy. I've never had ferrets before. I would think giving him lots of attention right now would be a good thing. He misses his brother and that just takes time to heal.
#10 Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM

So sorry you haven't found him. I hope Crazy does okay, I don't have any advice to dispense, but I hope that Crazy starts feeling better.
#11 Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

I am so sorry your baby has not been found. I wish I had some advice for you. I would give Crazy lots of love and I am sure he will adjust soon.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#12 Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Any update on Curi?
#13 Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 AM

You really need to quickly put up signs around the neighborhood and beyond, so people know to look out for him. That would be the responsible thing to do, rather than giving up at this point.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 AM

In October one of my ferrets went missing for 10 days - he showed up in someone's shed and they called us 'cause signs were bloody everywhere

so it IS possible for them to be found, don't give up hope yet!
#15 Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Sorry to hear about Curi. The others are right; don't give up hope yet!
#16 Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 AM

You've probably thought of this already, but I would certainly make up flyers and give them to all the local humane societies, animal shelters, and even pet stores. My sister once had a ferret chase her up the front steps, and at the time I didn't know anything about ferrets and we were both terrified and thought it had rabies (told you- we knew nothing about ferrets!), so, regrettably, we didn't do anything with him/her. It was probably a lost ferret trying to find human companionship/help again, and I imagine it is quite likely that your ferret may try to do the same thing. If someone finds Curi, they may take him to an animal shelter, or even a pet store (possibly to try to get money for him...). I would definately keep trying with the flyers, and not give up yet!

Best of luck to you.
#17 Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Also give out flyers to vets, in case someone decides to keep thier new friend and takes them in for a checkup, and petshops in case they rush out to buy ferret food
#18 Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
In October one of my ferrets went missing for 10 days - he showed up in someone's shed and they called us 'cause signs were bloody everywhere

Wow, well I can hope a bit - I haven't given up, but the odds aren't good, and I'm trying to accept that to keep myself from going crazy.
#19 Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM

I have you guys in my thoughts...good luck with the posters. I think those will be one of your best shots at recovering your baby.
#20 Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 AM

I'm coming in kinda late to this thread, but most ferret books recommend that you think of the LAST place the ferret could POSSIBLY be.

This has worked for people who find their pets in the freezer, fridge, inside the computer, etc...

My father's ferret was lost for two days!!! We had given up, looked outside, etc... and he just happened to notice that the cats kept looking at the filing cabinet rather oddly... He got the key, unlocked the filing cabinet, and there was a very hungry and thirsty Boo-Boo!!! To this day we have no idea how she got in there.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#21 Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 PM

He's found!!I got a call from my neighbor across the street this morning. He made it out of our house and found his way into her garage. She said that she didn't know what it was, but that he was really friendly. She called Animal Control, b/c she hadn't seen the posters yet, and they are holding him for 7 days (after that they would have tried to adopt him out). Unfortunately, they're closed today, so I can't get him yet. I can try calling tomorrow, but by Monday at 9, we can pick him up!

Thanks everyone for all the hugs, good thoughts, and ideas.
#22 Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM

yay! glad he's okay.

i have to laugh at the "she didn't know what it was, but that he was really friendly" part.
#23 Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Yay, that is fantastic news!
#24 Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm so happy that he was found! I got so sad reading your posts, I can't imagine what you were going through! Give him lots of kisses and I'm looking forward to hearing about his return/reunion with Crazy!
#25 Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Yay, that is amazing. I am sure you are so excited to have Curi come home on Monday.
#26 Old 03-15-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm so happy for you! And I'm happy for Crazy too!
#27 Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 PM

I'm so sorry I have tears in my eyes for you. You must be so sad. I have never had ferretts, I'm not sure what you could do for Crazy...he proly just needs to grieve
#28 Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 PM

You have to read the whole thread Ninja - it's happy now! Animal control called me and I get to pick him up tomorrow morning! Which is great, waiting all day was long enough. I'm a bit nervous that we'll get there and maybe it won't be him, but I doubt many other people lost ferrets near by in the last couple days.
#29 Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Yayyyy!

Im so glad he's safe
#30 Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Wonderful news!!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page