Kong Recipes! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
DLS
Beginner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried and tried to post this under recipes, but no can do. SO I posted it here. I hope that is OK.

What about some nice kong recipes

Kong Dog Toys are widely used and recommended for therapy and prevention of under-stimulation, boredom, separation anxiety and other behavior problems. Following are some simple ways Kongs can be utilized to promote good behavior in your dog.

It is important for dogs to succeed at their "work". Make it easy to remove the kong stuffing at first.

AS THEY BECOME MORE EXPERIENCED, YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE THEIR JOB MORE CHALLENGING - HERE'S HOW:

1. Pack stuffing tighter.

2. Wedge biscuits inside the cavity using the inside rim of the opening to secure them.

3. FREEZE IT! Very Popular! Try various combinations of canned food, gravy, noodles, rice and mashed potatoes mixed with food nuggets and freeze. KONGSICLES are a favorite with many hot dogs! Put a dab of peanut butter in the small end of the Kong to plug it. Turn it upside down in a cup. Fill it full of water, chicken broth or fruit juice and freeze. Cool doggies! Kongsicles are recommended for outdoor use.

4. CHEESE IT! Mix cheese pieces or cheese spread with food nuggets and microwave until cheese melts. Let it cool to a safe temperature. NOTE - Use a cup to contain the Kong when freezing or microwaving.

KONG STUFFING RECIPES

As you create recipes, be sensitive to your dog's tummy as you experiment.

Following are recipes created by veterinarians, dog trainers and dog lovers worldwide.

- BANANA RAMA: 1 fresh banana · 2 tbs wheat germ · 1 tbs plain yogurt (can use your pet's favorite flavor as well) · Kong Toy that best fits your pet's chewing temperament In a bowl, mash up banana. Then, add wheat germ and yogurt. Mash all ingredients together and use spoon to add to Kong. Freeze for 4 hours. Makes 1 serving for Medium Kong. Double for every Kong Size that is bigger.

- CHEESY DENTAL KONG DELIGHT: 3 slices of your pet's favorite cheese · Dental Kong Toy A very simple and creative way to make any pet drool in delight. Just place the 3 slices of cheese directly onto the grooves of your pet's Dental Kong (if model has rope - make sure cheese does not get onto it). Melt in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Give to pet after it cools.

- PHILLY STEAK: steak scraps · 1 ounce cream cheese · appropriate Kong Toy Place small scraps of the steak inside Kong toy. Spread cream cheese in large hole to hold scraps.

- FRUIT SALAD: apple and carrot chunks · 1/4th of a banana · appropriate Kong Toy Place apples and carrots in Kong Toy. Mush the banana in large hole to hold fruit in place. You can include other fruits and veggies: orange slices · peach and/or nectarine chunks · celery sticks · broccoli and/or cauliflower · tomato and black olive mixture.

- VEGGIE KONG OMELET: 1 egg · your choice of shredded cheese · any vegetables that your pet may like · appropriate Kong Toy Scramble egg and fold in vegetables. Put into Kong toy. Sprinkle some cheese over the top and microwave for about 20 seconds. Cool thoroughly before giving to dog.

- MAC 'N CHEESE: Leftover macaroni and cheese · small cube of Velveeta · appropriate Kong Toy Melt Velveeta in microwave until gooey. Add mac 'n cheese to Kong Toy. Pour heated Velveeta into Kong. Make sure it has cooled before giving to your pet.

FAMOUS RECIPES- AUNT JEANNIE'S ARCHEOLOGY KONG (for advanced dogs) LAYER ONE (deepest): roasted, unsalted cashews · freeze dried liver bits LAYER TWO: dog kibble, cookies or liver biscotti · Cheerios · sugar-free, salt-free peanut butter · dried banana chips, apples and apricots LAYER THREE: carrot sticks ·

turkey or leftover ravioli or tortellini · Kong Toy (the larger the better!) Pack as tightly as possible. The last item inserted should be an apricot or piece of ravioli, presenting a smooth "finish" under the main opening. LIGHT VERSION: substitute crumbled rice cakes for cashews, Caesar croutons for freeze-dried liver, fat free cream cheese for peanut butter.

- by Jean Donaldson

- KONG ON A ROPE: [size=2]Dry dog kibble · appropriate Kong Toy · Rope Take the rope, pull it through the Kong Toy and knot it. Hang this upside down from a tree, deck or post. The small hole should be facing the ground. Take the kibble and fill the Kong Toy. Make the toy hang just low enough that it is out of your dog's reach. The dog will spend hours trying to retrieve the kibble from the Kong Toy. At the end of the day, take the remaining kibble and give to your pet as a reward. This is advanced work for your dog. - by

Ian Dunbar

-

For RAW feeders---

RAW ground beef

Cheez whiz ( enough to make mixture smooth )

Stuff kong freeze. Give in an area where the dog can make a mess ( outside ? ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Beginner

"Kongsicles"... lol that's so cute! My dog loooves her kong and I'm really glad you posted this cause I've only thought of one or two things to put in it. She usually gets some of her food with peanut butter, or if I have some rice I toss that in too maybe with a dog biscuit. My aunt recently suggested green beans and said they are really good for dogs. I haven't checked that out yet though.

Not nearly as creative as a kongsicle. She's going to looove that in the summer after a day at the beach Thanks for putting this up!
#3 Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Beginner

My roommate's dog can destroy kongs.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#4 Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Really?! My dog had her's for well over a year before I threw it out and got her a new one. And she destroys soccer balls and footballs lol.
#5 Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Beginner

This dog is insane. She can destroy ANYTHING.

Lab/Pittie/Whatever-the-hell-else mix who, I feel spent a little too much time in the birth canal, if you know what I mean.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Beginner

You should order her one of these. http://www.vickdogchewtoy.com/

It's supposed to be tough, and part of the proceeds go to raising awareness about dog fighting.

I'm going to get the resident pit mix here one. He hasn't destroyed his Kong yet, but he destroys everything else he gets his jaws on.
#7 Old 03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

You should order her one of these. http://www.vickdogchewtoy.com/

It's supposed to be tough, and part of the proceeds go to raising awareness about dog fighting.

I'm going to get the resident pit mix here one. He hasn't destroyed his Kong yet, but he destroys everything else he gets his jaws on.

That's a very entertaining chew toy, for the owner too! Those little hands would diffinately be the first things chewed off!
#8 Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Have you tried one of the black kongs? The strength of kongs increases as they get darker. So red kongs are for medium- chewers. The black ones are the strongest. I think they're called extreme kongs or something like that.

Our Labrador hasn't even been able to make teeth marks in the black one but the red one was killed a long time ago...
#9 Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Beginner

oooo. you bring up a good point though, about having a section in the recipe area for animal-related things.
#10 Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

Have you tried one of the black kongs? The strength of kongs increases as they get darker. So red kongs are for medium- chewers. The black ones are the strongest. I think they're called extreme kongs or something like that.

Our Labrador hasn't even been able to make teeth marks in the black one but the red one was killed a long time ago...

A pibble needs the black one. Heck, all of my dogs use the black one.
#11 Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Not sure if Kiara has attempted to destroy an "indestructible" black kong.

((yeah, that's her))

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Oh yummy. Thanks. I am going to try some of these on Thursday for my kids.
#13 Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Not sure if Kiara has attempted to destroy an "indestructible" black kong.

((yeah, that's her))

She's cute! She looks quite wild.

These jaws have done significant damage to my doors and numerous other things but haven't been able to chew through a black Kong yet.
#14 Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner

butt on the arm.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page