Anyone use pine cat litter? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 AM

Does anyone use the pine cat litter??? I heard it is really really good, and it's what all the animal shelters use around here. It's cheap too, big bags at walmart for 10 dollars. It apparantly neutralizes odours with something in the pine, so it really helps odour as well. I am wondering though, how would you scoop and everything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 AM

You had me wondering....

http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html

I think there are both scoopable and non-scoopable pine litters.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 01-05-2008, 03:18 AM

I worked at one of those animal shelters that uses/recommends it!!!

Reasons why you should use it has to do with the health of your cat. Notice how all of a sedden the scoopable litters were reducing the dust in the litter? The dust the cat inhales builds up in the lungs...and is like making your cat a smoker.

It's been a while since I looked at Walmart's prices, but at the time PER POUND it was more expensive at Walmart... $6-$7 per four/five pound bag at Wal-mart... vs. $20 for a 20 lb bag at most pet stores.

At the shelter, I heard a lot of people come back and tell me what they thought of the pine litter...and I heard one of two responses every time:

1. "It's the worst stuff I've ever tried!!! The smell is worse than ever now!!!"

2. "Wow, that's the best stuff I've ever tried!!! It's GREAT!!! There's NO odor!!!"

I never heard anything in the middle...either love it or hate it.

The difference between these two groups is WHAT they were FEEDING the cat. Those that loved it were using premium cat food with less fillers, and (surprise!) real meat. The ones that hated it were feeding thier cats crap, like Meow Mix, Alley Cat, Friskies, etc...

Rule of thumb: If you can buy your pet food at Walmart, your grocery store, or any place that sells mostly 'people stuff'...it's crap. Including IAMS...

I recommend staying away from Eukanuba, too...

I can explain, but it's a bit of a story.

Just ask, and I'll type it up.

If your cat doesn't like the pine litter, you can mix it wil the old gradually until he gets used to it. You can also pre-wett it to make it easier to bury their stuff, until they're used to it.

Remember, you only want to use a little... When it gets wet it puffs. If you use too much it'll puff-Puff-PUFF right over the sides with use. You only want a thin layer on the bottom.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#4 Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 AM

Oh yeah...how to scoop.

At the shelter we'd just throw out ALL of it, and replace with fresh. That's what I do, too...but them, I only clean it once or twice a week.

It can be scooped rather easily with a normal scooper...just don't expect it to scoop the same way and sift out the cleaner litter. Just dump whatever you get in the scoop.

You can also use regular litterbox deodorants with this, too...and baking soda.

I've never tried the 'scoopable' version.

...gravity.

#5 Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM

I think some people don't like the smell of pine in general...so if you mix the 'cat smell' with the pine, it's probably what turns some people off to it.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#6 Old 01-05-2008, 08:50 AM

I use it in the "in house" litter box, but the basement boxes have clay litter (non scoopable) because it's a lot cheaper. With two cats, it lasts half as long as it says on the bag and if you try to make it last as long as the bag says it will, it does stink bad! You only scoop poop from the pine litter, and you can flush it. Liquid gets absorbed into the pellets and they disintegrate into what resembles saw dust. When you're about out of pellets, you dump out the pine dust and start over again. It's nice because it doesn't stick to the box like clumping or clay litters do so you don't need a litter liner. You do have to retrain your cat to use the pine litter though, and I've heard that not all cats will. Also, it tracks a LOT when it starts to break down, though it vacuums up easy enough.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Ok, I just bought a bag of the scoopable pine litter...I'll let you know how I/the cats like it. I have four cats and I'm not sure this is going to be a cheaper way to go. It cost $10.99 for a 10 lb bag. It doesn't look like much. I pay 12.99 for 28 pounds of the Fresh Step scoopable and it lasts forever. But I'm game. I like trying new things, especially if it's more earth friendly.

#8 Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 AM

I use pine. I don't shop at Walmart though, I get hte litter from Trader Joes or online.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I tried Feline Pine and I didn't like it. It was awhile ago, but I hated the smell, and I seem to remember there being a funky texture problem when I tried to scoop it.

I hated it, and I feed my cats Felidae, so yeah. Not sure what to tell you about that.
#10 Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM

I use the pine stuff.
#11 Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

We use it, well, it's not made specifically for cats. We buy 40 pound bags of Wood Stove Pellets at Menards for $5 each. It's so much cheaper than feline pine and it's basically the same stuff. We use a small shovel to scoop out the solid waste. The pellets absorb all the urine and essentially turns into sawdust, which is pretty easy to scoop out and flush. I don't notice any more or less smell than when we used clay litter, unless one of the wee beasties doesn't cover their butt bombs.
#12 Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

We use it, well, it's not made specifically for cats. We buy 40 pound bags of Wood Stove Pellets at Menards for $5 each. It's so much cheaper than feline pine and it's basically the same stuff. We use a small shovel to scoop out the solid waste. The pellets absorb all the urine and essentially turns into sawdust, which is pretty easy to scoop out and flush. I don't notice any more or less smell than when we used clay litter, unless one of the wee beasties doesn't cover their butt bombs.

Small Shovel?

40 lb bags?

HOW BIG ARE YOUR CATS?

...gravity.

#13 Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM

#14 Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM

We use wood stove pellets with our rabbits. You can also get these at feed stores during heating season. Feed stores also sell a "litter" version that is marketed for horse stalls. I can get 40# for $3 to $5.

Note: pine (and cedar) shavings are unsafe litters for rabbits due to the aromatic phenols. The processing/compression of the wood pellets gets rid of that issue, so the pelleted wood products are safe.

I've also heard from cat people that they either love or hate the pine pellets.
#15 Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Ok, so I'm up to a little more than half of the scoopable pine mixed with the Fresh Step scoopable. My cats are taking to it just fine. It doesn't seem to have a noticeable piney smell to me. I'm not sure I will like the pine litter on it's own...doesn't seem to 'clump' when I try and scoop. But I'll see what happens when I change over to 100% of it. If I don't like it I will probably continue to do the half/half mixture. At least that way I'm 50% more earth friendly.

#16 Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 AM

^^^ It doesn't really 'clump' at all...

When the pellets soak up the pee, they puff (careful not to use too many pellets, or it'll puff right up over the sides) into sawdust.

...gravity.

#17 Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 AM

The one I have isn't in pellet form...it's already sawdust. I thought that was weird.

#18 Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 PM

I've used Feline Pine before, and I also used wood pellets when I could get them. Basically the same, just different wood - one time I got a bag of pellets that were really dark and didn't smell so good. But it was only $3 for 40# or something like that!

Right now I'm using Cedarrific, which I believe is much cheaper than Feline Pine. It already looks like the sawdust that Feline Pine turns into when wet. I actually prefer it this way, because I can easily sift out everything but the stool. With the pellets, I couldn't sift them out, so some "good" pellets were always being scooped out before their time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page