View Poll Results: Parasite Protection in the Winter for Pets
Yes, my pets get flea/tick/heartworm preventative all year round 0 0%
No, I stop them all when it gets cold 0 0%
Yes to heartworm preventative, No to flea/tick preventative 0 0%
Other/variable/"it depends" (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM

How many of you pet owners continue with monthly flea/tick and/or heartworm prevention for your cats or dogs all the way through the winter ((E.T.A:: for those of you who live in climates where it gets chilly this time of year))?

I started putting Revolution on my kitties, which protects against fleas, heartworm, and hookworms once a month.

So what about you guys?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2007, 11:17 AM

My cats are indoor only so in the past when it's been too cold out for fleas/ticks/mosquitos I've not given them the flea meds because they're very unlikely to get them to begin with so at that time of year I think the slight risk of the meds outweighs the risk of the parasites.

Now Ducky is apparently allergic to fleas and has licked out a good quarter of her fur over something the other cats didn't even scratch about, so she's on year round flea meds. The vet couldn't find a flea on her and said that one flea probably came in the screen door or something and that a cat with a bad enough allergic reaction can itch all over for a week from one bite.
#3 Old 12-01-2007, 12:49 PM

My dog gets Frontline (fleas, ticks, lice) in the warm months and Interceptor (heartworm, hookworm, whipworm) year around.

My cat stays indoors so I don't give him anything.
#4 Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM

I stop when it gets cold. Been doing this for 12 years and havent had a problem yet. Also I'd hate to give Henry more preventative than he needs as he has seizures and I am so careful. Course nothing would be worse than the actual heartworms themselves.
#5 Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM

My cats are indoor and never go out. I don't routinely use flea and tick preventative on them. Two years ago a bug that resembled a flea jumped on me in my apartment, and I combed down the cats and found no evidence of fleas, but treated them with Advantage just in case. That's the only time either of them have ever been treated with anything.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM

My cats are *supposed* to be indoor only, come to find out they've been getting out. That's when I started the Revolution (only on Milo and Clarise, Jenn seldom leaves her spot in the basement and has no desire to go outside, so I don't do her). Better safe than sorry!

www.animal-adoptions.org

#7 Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

How many of you pet owners continue with monthly flea/tick and/or heartworm prevention for your cats or dogs all the way through the winter ((E.T.A:: for those of you who live in climates where it gets chilly this time of year))?

Some of us live in climates where it gets chilly at other times of the year!

(Like everyone in the Southern hemisphere)
#8 Old 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

My cats are *supposed* to be indoor only, come to find out they've been getting out. That's when I started the Revolution (only on Milo and Clarise, Jenn seldom leaves her spot in the basement and has no desire to go outside, so I don't do her). Better safe than sorry!

True. If mine went out at all I'd treat them... then again if they went out in this neighborhood they'd be roadkill faster than a flea would find them.

#9 Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM

I don't give flea or heartworm preventative in the winter months.
#10 Old 12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Baby Love

I'm not messing with heartworms ... They get those meds year round. They get flea/tick control in the summer when I remember to give it.
#11 Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM

well, my mom rescues many dogs/cats from shelters to find better homes and we have also 6 dogs of our own, we dont live out in the woods, suburby like you could say,huge backyard, and usually we do not give them frontline or a flea tick preventative of some sort like 6 months out of the year depending on the temperatures, the other half of the year we might give them every other month, and so far so good, never had a problem with fleas or ticks, the heartworm we usually have to use especially on new rescued dogs to prevent spreading if affected by any parasite, every other month for dogs that have tested negative for heartworm, of course there are always circumstances and depending on the circumstances they get evaluated and between us and the vet it goes from there, my view on everything is that i would not give my children-if any-preventative care for the risk involved with it, seems it could do more bad then good, and overmedicating anything is bad, so it really all comes down to circumstances, the dog i share my life with-Luke- does not take anything for the health risks involved, and he is very very healthy and gets check ups regularly and is still fine, just if we go anywhere where he could contact something he always gets a nice bath and a thorough cleaning/inspection, my theory is if you wouldn't do it to yourself, then dont do it to your pets unless circumstances arise were it would be beneficial for them to have it, also talk to a vet that actually cares about animals and not just the business end as they are very very helpful and can even provide natural ways to rid of parasites with inducing medicine that could harm them, hope this helps, and the healthier the animal the better, i sware exercise and a healthy diet go a long way
#12 Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 AM

uh, we didnt used to do any flea control, but now we think we have them in the house. i dont blame the cats-- i blame my bf. he's complained about having them at work before, so i think he brought them home to my poor cats.
#13 Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Has anyone read Scared Poopless? I'm afraid to give anything like frontline or revolution now. Same with the heartworm medicine.
#14 Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM

I am fearful of my dog picking up fleas from going to the groomer or visiting with other dogs now and then, and then bringing them home to us. At that point it would be much worse to treat all the foster rabbits and clear the house of fleas than the risk/cost of treating year round, IMO.

I treat for heartworms year round too because she had them when I adopted her and I do not want any chance that she would have to go through that treatment again.

The only time I've ever had fleas in the house is when my cousin came over; his cat at home had terrible fleas, which arrived on my cousin and got in my carpet and on the rabbit that played there.
#15 Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM

I don't think fleas can survive winter in WI. Or if they do, they aren't nesting on my pets!
#16 Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

Has anyone read Scared Poopless? I'm afraid to give anything like frontline or revolution now. Same with the heartworm medicine.

What's that?

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#17 Old 12-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

What's that?

A book.

http://www.amazon.com/Scared-Pooples...7167745&sr=1-1

#18 Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Ankle Biter

Absolutely heartworm preventative year-round. And since I frequently foster, we now do flea preventative year round as well.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 AM

You know, Frontline protects against fleas for 3 mos, ticks for 1 mo, so if you don't currently have a flea infestation and aren't concerned about ticks you can get away with it every 3 mos in the winter.

#20 Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 AM

I stop after the first frost and start once the temps start hitting the 50's. I've never ever had a problem.
#21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 PM

I used to frontline my dogs every month but now i wouldn't touch it. Your putting something on your pet that's so toxic it kills one of the most resilient parasites on this earth for three whole months and on the packet it strictly warns against getting it on your own skin, I began to question its safety and stopped it all together. Instead i give them garlic and I haven't seen a flea since, they do get the odd tick but they're easy to deal with. Heart worm is not a problem in England so no need for me to treat against that.
#22 Old 12-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterpixie View Post

I used to frontline my dogs every month but now i wouldn't touch it. Your putting something on your pet that's so toxic it kills one of the most resilient parasites on this earth for three whole months and on the packet it strictly warns against getting it on your own skin, I began to question its safety and stopped it all together. Instead i give them garlic and I haven't seen a flea since, they do get the odd tick but they're easy to deal with. Heart worm is not a problem in England so no need for me to treat against that.

Frontline is actually non-toxic. If a dog or cat ingests it, the worst they will get is some dietary indisgresion ((upset stomach)).

Now the stuff you buy over the counter, THAT stuff actually has neurotoxins in it.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#23 Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM

I heard that garlic can be dangerous for your dog? Any truth to that?
#24 Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Garlic contains thiosulphate which is toxic in dogs, same as onions. Takes more garlic than it does onions to cause problems though. If I had a dog, I wouldn't give him garlic.

#25 Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Fronline contains the insecticide fipronil which has been loosely linked conditions of the liver, thyroid and kidney. Frontline by its nature has to be toxic, that is what kills the fleas and its the build up of toxins over time that would concern me not its immediate effect. A couple of fleas on my dogs would not bother me as they are fit and healthy and strong enough to handle them.

Onions are extremly toxic to dogs and should never be fed and yes garlic is in the same family and yes it contains thiosulphate. But the amount it contains is small and a dog would have to eat quite a bit of it for it to cause any problems. I give garlic because it is antifungal, antiseptic, antibiotic and it repels worms and fleas, the amounts I give are small and I feed it on a three week on three week off basis. Basicly you just need to be careful with the stuff but can be fed safely with good results.
#26 Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 AM

I won't give my dogs garlic. I do give them Frontline, every other month in the spring and summer. I don't use K9 Advantix though due to it's toxicity to cats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page