VeggieBoards banner

My kitty may have scratched her eye

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Eva-bo-beva 
#1 ·
My kitty has been rubbing at her eye and cleaning it obsessively today. She's holding it shut about half the time. She's still very active though, it seems to just be annoying her. I looked at it in the light and saw a clear scratch looking thing on the very center and outermost part of the eye. I can't tell if its a scratch or something in her eye.

I already called the vet, and I'm waiting for a call back. I put some human eye drops to try to help, (I've heard it doesn't matter, maybe it does?), and that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Is there anything I can do before she can get an appointment? Thanks!

#2 ·
I wouldn't use eye drops unless the vet says so, just to be safe.

There is a test they do where they put this glowing green stuff in their eyes and they can see if there is damage. If you have an Elizabethan collar, you may want to put it on if you think she may scratch at her eye. If she definitely is doing that, maybe buy one.

My cat got a bee sting her eye, and she turned out fine. Good luck!

#3 ·
do not use eye drops that are medicated in any way. (ie anything for red eyes, allergies, etc is medicated) just plain artificial tears or tear gel should be fine but ask the vet first anyways just in case. i think any kind of drops would probably just make it sting more if it is a scratch.

definately get her checked out asap. if it is something in her eye the vet will be able to flush it properly without doing damage to the eye. if it is a scratch they will have to find out of there is any damage or if it's something that will heal on its own.

in the meantime just try to keep her calm and distracted. sit with her and keep petting her and maybe give her treats or something to get her mind off it. and yeah a collar to keep her from rubbing at it is a good suggestion if you can get one

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies!

I figured out the problem, my cat has herpes, just like my other one. I have 3 cats who all came from a shelter, and they all probably have it (some sites say 80% of all cats have it). When I moved recently, one of my cats eyes got all gooey and she was sneezy, so I took her to the vet. The vet said it was probably herpes that flared up from the stress of moving.

I thought my cat scatched her eye because I saw a small mark on the outermost part of her eye, but no sneezes and not much goo. My vet just called me back today, so I had time to research on the internet, and it turns out that she most likely has herpes, too. Some cats get corneal ulcers from the virus. It could be a small one. I hope not

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

oh no
how treatable is it if it's an ulcer? good luck!
A corneal ulcer is very treatable. Christina has/had one (long story how she injured her eye). Unfortunately, her's advanced to the point of needing surgery before we noticed, but now we keep it in check by giving her eye drops 3x per day. At first it sounded like a huge deal, trying to medicate a cat three times a day, but you get into a routine and it only takes about 2 seconds each time.

#8 ·
Aw MEM your cat is very nice-looking!

Has your vet reccommended l-lysine supplements for your kitties? It's an amino acid that can come in a paste or powder to sprinkle on food that's used to help combat the herpes virus. Ask them about it, its good stuff.

Good luck with your kitties!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Aw MEM your cat is very nice-looking!

Has your vet reccommended l-lysine supplements for your kitties? It's an amino acid that can come in a paste or powder to sprinkle on food that's used to help combat the herpes virus. Ask them about it, its good stuff.

Good luck with your kitties!
Yeah, I have 2 big tubes of it to use. It seems like the same stuff as that brown hairball medicine. I put some on my cats paw last night, and she didn't notice right away. She did notice, all of the sudden, and jumped straight in the air and flipped out so much that a chunk flicked onto the ceiling. At least I don't think she blamed me for it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.