Crow with a broken wing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure where to put this, so here goes.

This morning, we found a crow with a very badly broken wing in our neighbour's yard. He must've hit or been hit by something. The other crows were harassing him a bit. He can't move the broken wing at all.

We wrapped him in an old t-shirt and brought him inside. We called every vet within an hour and a half's drive- none are open weekends. My mother is *not* willing to spend 'much' (I wouldn't know her limit) on him, and I personally (being fifteen) have very little money right now.

He's been in our bathroom since then, which is the only place he's really safe from our hunter cat and dog, as well as a friend's dog we're watching for the weekend. We've fed him bits of meat and apricot as well as some water from an eyedropper. When we brought him inside, he was listless and seemed to be dying. I figured we'd just 'make him comfortable.' Now that he's been here a few hours, however, he's been hopping around and, when left with a small plate of food, ate quite a bit.

If he survives (which I am very very hopeful for right now), we would be happy to take care of him. There's no way he's going to fly again, and it is a little tricky with the cat and dog already living here. My father says he will build a shelter. I don't know how much room he'll need, what a good long-term diet is, or really much at all. I know that a rehabilitation centre and medical care is really what he needs, but there really isn't anything like that nearby, and again, we don't have much money to spend.

When I was twelve I found a baby sparrow which I 'raised' on hamburger and eventually released [one day I had him outside, some other sparrows were flying nearby and he jumped out of my hand and joined them, which was amazing. I don't know if he survived, learned to hunt, was accepted, etc, but I do know that had I left him on the ground, the cats would've gotten him very quickly.] This guy isn't going to fly away, we need a more permanent solution. Has anyone else taken care of an injured adult bird?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Bof
Banned

Vets in Australia treat wildlife for nothing but I don't know about where you are.

Broken wings often mend if the bird is kept confined for a while.

I've reared a few crows and you have to feed them meat. We usually use liver.

Try searching for wildlife carers in your area, maybe via SPCA.

Good luck.
#3 Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Bof
Banned

Any news on the crow?
#4 Old 07-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Beginner

I just saw this...I'm interested too....

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#5 Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 AM
Beginner

I would still call a vet on Monday to see if they can give you some sound advice...perhaps they will know of an animal rehab place that will be near enough for you to get the bird to. I know how tempting it is to want to keep a wild animal when we find it. It would probably be in the bird's best interest to have someone with experience take care of it and then hopefully set it free. Obviously, if there is no where to bring him that is close enough for you to take it to and money is an object, then I say good luck and I hope he survives!! Please keep us posted...

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#6 Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Bof
Banned

I found the Wildlife Rehabilitators Network of British Columbia:

http://www.wrn.bc.ca/index.htm

(It's frustrating when someone asks for help and people respond, but you don't know if the OP has even read the replies).
#7 Old 07-15-2007, 04:17 AM
Beginner

Hopefully it's because they are busy with the crow....and hopefully it's going well.....

#8 Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Vegan Police Officer

#9 Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Thank you guys so much! I'm sorry for being a bit slow, but I posted a few hours before bed in my timezone, so I just got up (very early to check on the crow) ^^

(S)he is doing excellent. Made it through the night with no troubles, has eaten quite a lot of hamburger, is drinking...

The wildlife rehabilitators link has been very very helpful. Although it's six in the morning on Sunday right now, I will call both links within a three-hour drive of me when there is someone to answer. I want to call and ask advice on transportation, etc, before just taking him in the back of a car on a two hour drive [plus the closer one seems to specialize in owls, so I don't know if they're going to take him].

I don't know if I feel comfortable trying to fix his wing with no training at all.

Thank you guys so much ^^ Yes, it is tempting to keep him, but from the start I knew that it really isn't practical in our household with the other animals in and around our home.
#10 Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Awesome!! You rock!!

#11 Old 07-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Beginner

After actually reviewing Diana's link, we decided it was something we could try. It wasn't terribly smooth but it's done, and he seems alright. He's obviously in a lot of pain: he kept grabbing his broken wing with his claws which made it a bit tricky.

I hope that helps a little and that in the morning we can get him to some people who know what they're doing.
#12 Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Bof
Banned

Most injured animals are best wrapped up, in a towel or something similar.

Or, you could cut the foot off a sock or stocking and put it on a bird to immobilise it's wing(s).

They also feel safer in the dark, so put it in a box, with a few air holes of course.
#13 Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Beginner

i don't really have any advice but..

it's so good of you to help this little guy

i love crows

please keep us updated

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Thanks again for everybody who's given advice, help, good wishes, etc. It really means a lot ^^

Anyways, when I got home from work, my mom said that she called the numbers off of the list as well as the vet today. Both rehabilitators told her that they were just people working out of their homes, and that we could 'probably do just as well.' We did get some advice on retaping his wing (he's a little Houdini- it's been rewrapped three times now) and were told that either it would heal and he'd fly off, or it wouldn't and he'd stay here.

When my dad gets home from work then I guess we start building him a cat-proof home in our living room then.

I too love crows ^^ I always have. He's such a sweet little thing, although he does have wicked claws.
#15 Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Beginner

My exotics vet has a pet crow living in the clinic. She had been injured and while the vet fixed her up, they didn't believe she could fly again. After a year or two living in the clinic, she DID fly! But now she's too domesticated to be set free, so she hangs out and causes trouble, and flies around the office.

Keep in mind having a wild animal requires a permit in many places--it's not legal to keep them otherwise.
#16 Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Beginner

oh that's true i hadn't thought of that. you might want to call your city hall and find out

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Beginner

Yeah, we spoke to the 'crow expert' at one of the rehabilitation centres, she said the same thing... but she said we should be fine as long as we're only keeping him while his wing is taped up. If it doesn't look like it's going to heal, we should take him to her (since she has a permit, of course).

He's been doing really well ^^ We found out hamburger is too high in fat, she actually recommended cat food instead- so that's what he's eating. He's starting to get used to being taped up, he's a good little hopper!
#18 Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Beginner

I'm glad he's doing well...I'm actually a bit jealous of you! 99% of the time when I try to save a wild animal, it doesn't end with good results. I would love to be able to help rehabilitate an animal and be able to set it free! Or at least have it live!

#19 Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Beginner

Wow, this is really amazing you're helping this lil fellow.. I've rescued a few birds in my time and one thing to keep in mind is how delicate they are. This crow is obviously resilient but any extreme amount of stress or injury can kill a bird very fast.

Though it seems he/she is adjusting well to being kept inside. That's good and bad, as you know. The best place for it would probably be a rehab center of some sort but if that's not possible it'd be really standup of you and your family to take care of it.

Keep us updated please. Good luck!

On a side note: there's a small blackbird on my school campus that has had a broken wing for about a year now. I first noticed him last year when I was looking for a parking spot, he just walks around the lot and his wing hangs really low and I can tell he can't fly. Anyway, I first tried to capture him or get near so I could help but he never let me anywhere near. After seeing him repeatedly for months, I came to realize he'd completely adapted to living on foot, even through the winter months he survived because the next semester he was there again! I always try to drop food around when I see him, but it's just amazing to see him thrive in such a state. I'm sure his wing wouldn't be able to be fixed now anyway.
#20 Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Beginner

Hello,
In response to those who posted comments about caring for a crow with a broken
or injured wing, it can be done, and it does not require a vet, provided the bird
has not suffered internal injuries. It is imperative that you immobilized the injured
wing, and keep the crow as quiet as possible. I have done this twice, and both birds
became amazing pets for a time, and then rejoined their wild family. I suggest
keeping the crow in a laundry basket lined with a soft blanket in a place where no
other animals can come near him/her during recovery. It is also important that you
reassure the scared bird, talk to it, and once you've immobilized the wing, hold him
as often as you can. Be very careful to keep your face away from his beak. This can
easily be done by taking a piece of bread and putting it against the birds beak. He will
naturally latch on, and lock down on the bread. You can also use a loose fitting rubber
band, slide it over his beak carefully so he can't peck at you while your attending to
him. Holding the bird will relax him and he will eventually become used to your touch.
To immobilized the wing, I use a ace bandage. I place the bird on his back and check
both legs to make sure they aren't injured. If the crow grasps your finger with his
claws, the legs are fine. I then gentle extend the damaged wing slowly and carefully, making sure there are no other more serious injuries. The ace bandage is the type that adheres to itself and can be cut to size. Wrap a piece of ace bandage around the
birds wings, making sure both wings are closed and close to the bird's body. You only
need to prevent the bird from floppy around, which will further injure the wing. Gently
wrap the ace bandage around both wings and his upper body. This will prevent him for floppy around and putting him in a laundry basket allows him to rest comfortably. I like the bird to know I'm close by, I think talking to him/her puts them at ease. Make sure you keep them hydrated, I use a eye dropper. You can feed them meat,
cheese, peanuts, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and even wild birdseed. They eat a large variety of foods, and you should be able to put the food within their reach and
let them eat what they want.
Depending upon how badly the wing is injured, healing can take a couple weeks to a
few days, but there is no reason they should completely recover if they are cared for
properly. Initially remove the ace bandage and allow the bird to stay in the basket. If
the wing is healed, he'll find his way out. The crows that I cared for stayed with me for almost a year before going off to their families or to mate. They were able to fly,
but chose not to leave. The more hands on you are with the birds when you initially
rescue them, the more enjoyable the experience will be for both of you. Just remember to watch your eyes and face when holding them. They are wild birds, but they seem to enjoy the company of humans, at least for a short time. During that time you will realize what amazing and wonderful creatures they are. Thanks to all of
you who take the time to rescue members of the Animal Nations!
#21 Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Whoops, sorry! I meant flopping around, and there is no reason why they shouldn't recover. I should also mention that both the birds I rescued were young birds. Something else that is important. The crow make hop
around giving you the impression he can't fly, but they can, and eventually, they will return to the wild if allowed
to. They may stick around for a year or two, and one day they'll take off with their friends. You may be able to
prepare yourself for this event by watching the actions of the crows in the area. They will have a hissy fit when
they see you touching the crow, and may even dive bomb you. They are there to make sure their friend or family
member is okay, and as long as your crow has completely recoved, it's fine to let them be outside by themselves.
One of mine used to come to the door and peck on it with his beak. Then he'd turn his head upside down and
watch for my feet, he knew I'd be bringing him a piece of cheese. They are so smart, and so much fun to watch.
#22 Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Beginner

Holy old thread!

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#23 Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Holy old thread!

From 2007, I'm sure the crow's fine by now

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#24 Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Beginner

@Kibbleforiola,
Nice comment, I am aware of how old the original thread was, but thank you for bringing it to my attention just the same! My
purpose in posting anything at all was to give anyone who might find an injured crow the benefit of my experiences. Sorry my
comments offended you enough to make such a nasty comment. Get a life, you too Werewolf Girl.
#25 Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesallanimals View Post

@Kibbleforiola,
Nice comment, I am aware of how old the original thread was, but thank you for bringing it to my attention just the same! My
purpose in posting anything at all was to give anyone who might find an injured crow the benefit of my experiences. Sorry my
comments offended you enough to make such a nasty comment. Get a life, you too Werewolf Girl.

Chill out, dude. Only meant as some lighthearted fun.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#26 Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:

@Kibbleforiola,

How was it a nasty comment? She was just commenting that it was a 4 year old thread. Telling someone to get a life however, is a nasty comment.
#27 Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:

@Kibbleforiola,

If anything, this sentence should be coming from KFL and WG and go to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFL&WG View Post

Sorry my comments offended you enough to make such a nasty comment.

People who make silly comments about a 4½ year old thread that was bumped should "get a life". I'ighty then. Makes sense.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#28 Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Whatever you day, I won't post here again. BTW, I'm not a dude!
#29 Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Whoops! old thread I need to start checking these dates! lol
#30 Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much to the person who found the crow and to the wonderful people who gave us the answers she was looking for because this evening I found a crow with what looks like a broken wing. Thank you for posting your experience. Your advice and experience has been so helpful. I will do my best to do as well as you did in hopes of saving this little guy. Thanks so much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page