Lumps on my cat's head - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Yes, I've already made him an appointment at the veterinarian's office. He's going in on Tuesday.

Alright, so here is the story:

My 10 year old cat, Felix, has been living with my parents his entire life. He's been an indoor/outdoor cat for as long as we've had him. Three years ago, I moved out of my parents house to go to college 300 miles away, and he stayed there with them.

About a month ago, I discovered that cats are allowed in my apartment building- so naturally, Felix came to live with me. When I got him home, I noticed a small lump located above his left eye. I can't tell if it's bald, or if because the lump is there, his hair just looks less dense in that area. Either way, I can see through his fur to the lump. It's fleshy feeling, under the skin, and about the size of a small pea. When I touch it, it doesn't appear to hurt him.

He also has a smaller one located on the back of his head. The one on the back appears to have a small yellow hole in it's middle (the 'hole' is very small, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. It's hard for me to get a good look at it, because he gets mad at me whenever I try to look at it. The one on the back of his head is entirely bald.

I snapped a few pictures, so that you all can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Basically, I'm just curious as to whether or not any of you have any experience with anything similar in any of your current or former companion animals. I just want to know what I could be expecting when I go to the vet on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Hmm.. could be little warts? My old dog had similar looking bumps that the vet said were warts. They didn't cause him any trouble though.
#3 Old 03-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Beginner

While dogs commonly get lipomas, papillomas (warts) and sebaceous gland adenomas, they are rare in cats. Your vet will probably ask to do a fine needle aspirate. That's when they take a sample of cells from the lump and look at it under a microscope. That will identify it and determine if it is benign or malignant. From there, she/he will let you know if it needs to be removed.
#4 Old 03-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

Your vet will probably ask to do a fine needle aspirate. That's when they take a sample of cells from the lump and look at it under a microscope. That will identify it and determine if it is benign or malignant. From there, she/he will let you know if it needs to be removed.

Just purely out of curiousity- do you know approximately what something like this would usually cost? I have money in the bank and I have an emergency credit card that I can use if the cost will be considerably more than the money that I have. I'm planning on paying whatever I have to. I'm just curious.
#5 Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Aww, poor kitty.

Last year, my cat had a little lump on her head near the opening of her ear. It was less "knobby" looking than Felix's. Hers was more of a wide, dome-shaped bump, almost like a huge blind zit, except without any redness or irritation. Her spot was bald, too. She got some trans-dermal steroid cream for it, which cleared it up within a week or so. The vet wasn't exactly sure what it was, since we never had to look into it any further. He said it was more or less just like any random harmless sebaceous cyst that a human might get. It never came back.

Hope Felix is ok! Good luck!
#6 Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Oh! And I forgot to say something in my original post!

My father told me that a few months ago, Felix had a sore on his head right where the lump is right now. Remember, Felix used to be an indoor/outdoor cat. My dad said that it looked like Felix may have gotten into a fight. For this reason, my dad believes that it's just scar tissue. He actually got kind of mad at me when I told him that I was bringing into the veterinarian's office, because he's absolutely convinced that it's just scar tissue.

I know that it's not scar tissue. I have been doing some research online, though, and there is a possibility that some bacteria could have gotten into that sore, causing an infection of sorts.

I'm hoping that's what they are. I don't think that it's cancerous because it's fleshy- not hard. All of the things that I've read about external tumors said that a tumor feels more boney.
#7 Old 03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Prices are different at every vet, but I can tell you what we charge. Keep in mind that I work at a fairly upscale Canadian hospital.

Exam $53.00

FNA $91.00

Extra costs would include sending the sample out to the lab rather than running it in house, and any bloodwork or medications that the vet might think your cat needs.

Cost of removal depends. For dogs, we usually just do a local sedation and remove the lump while the animal is awake. This really isn't possible for cats, unless they are little angels (hah!) because cats just fight too much. They need to have a general anaesthetic. Cost for that would be about $300, including pre-op bloodwork, sedation and intubation, surgical fee and recheck fee.

Let me know what it turns out to be. You've got me curious, especially with the hairloss. He's a cutie too.
#8 Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Beginner

Maybe he snuck off and had subdermal implants put in.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=50855
#9 Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

Let me know what it turns out to be. You've got me curious, especially with the hairloss. He's a cutie too.

Oh, I'll definetly keep you updated.

Thanks for posting the approximate costs, also! I'm really hoping that it's something that can be cured with some simple medication, rather than him having to go through a surgery. I'd feel so horrible for him! Keep him in your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Maybe he snuck off and had subdermal implants put in.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=50855

Haha! Well, if that's the case then he's done them all wrong. These don't look even remotely attractive. They aren't even symmetrical! Poor little pookie.
#10 Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Aww, poor Felix.

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Beginner

poor kitty. *kittysmilie* I hope everything turns out well.

he has a cute mask marking on his face. I'd love to see a close-up.I bet he's really handsome.

I want a kitty smilie!
#12 Old 03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Good luck and (((hugs))) to you and Felix.

Just of note, my cat last month had a mast cell tumor, which appeared on her shoulder/neck area.

It became scabby, so the vet removed it and confirmed it was a tumor. Pretty routine op.

To prevent it reocurring as I am not a fan of conventional medicine anyway I put her on some imune boosting herbs and ester-c vitamin c and she's doing brilliant now and made a fast recovery. I also changed her diet and put her on some expensive organic food.
#13 Old 03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Beginner

Hows the kitty doing?
#14 Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Beginner

Tiggerwoos, love the avatar!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#15 Old 03-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Hows the kitty doing?

Oh, he seems to be doing fine! He's eating normally and he's acting normally. His appointment is in two days.
#16 Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Beginner

He had his appointment this morning.

The lump on the back of his head is just a wart, but the one on the front of his head is definetly a tumor. He has surgery today to have it removed, and from there they are going to send the sample off to have it tested out. He said that we will know within a week whether it's a really bad type of cancer that spreads easily, or one that won't spread as easily. From there we will have to discuss whether or not chemo or radiation will be an option.

Please keep him in your thoughts.
#17 Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Beginner

I'm sorry that it might be something serious stellar26 On a positive note, cats seem to have a remarkable will to live, my cat Mini got hit by a car last August, he suffered from 7 fractures in his pelvis & a broken femur...the vet didn't hold out much hope of him surviving but he did - i'm sure your boy is gonna be fine keep us posted.
#18 Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Beginner

Sorry the news wasn't better, stellar26. I will keep checking back to see how he is doing.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#19 Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Oh, and I forgot to add that the doctor refered to the cells in the tumor as 'neoplastic'. I've been doing research online and as far as I can tell, that doesn't mean anything more than 'cancerous'.

Still no update. Just a few more days until the lab gets back to us to let us know exactly what kind of cancer it is that we're dealing with.
#20 Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Good luck! I'm so glad you followed your instinct and took him in while its still little.
#21 Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Beginner

I hope kitty will be ok.
#22 Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Beginner

We have relatively good news!

The tumor was what is called a mass cell tumor. In cats, this isn't as severe as it sounds. The doctor said that he removed the entire tumor in Felix, but the because there wasn't a lot of area to work with on his face, he wasn't able to remove a ton of the surrounding tissues. Still, he feels that he removed enough tissue to feel comfortable about the fact that Felix is going to be alright. The tumor is gone and as of right now, Felix is cancer free.

Mass cell tumors are notorious for returning, however. He said that I should check Felix over regularly to check for lumps and that if I feel one, I should bring him in and have the doctor look at it. He said that the tumors are slow growing, and that sometimes they can be left as is.

For now, we can breathe!

Thank you all for your help and good wishes! I'll be sure to let you know if anything else happens. We appreciate it!
#23 Old 03-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Great news! Thanks for posting the update!

*this space not for sale*
#24 Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Yippee!!!

#25 Old 03-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Beginner

:huge sigh of relief: That's great news!!! We're so happy for you and Felix!!! (My kitty is named Felix too!)
#26 Old 03-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Beginner

I'm really pleased for you & Felix!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page