Adding water to cat food...? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 AM

I don't buy wet cat food because it's bad for cats teeth, but I don't remember why it's bad for their teeth. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to add water to dry cat food because it can help prevent urinary tract infections, and my vet told me that Orange Tabi cats get them very eaily (I don't understand what his color has to do with anything but she's the doctor), and one of my cats is an Orange Tabi. So I added some water to my cats food. I thought that it would sit for a while and then the food would expand but he drank the water in the dish immediately....he obviously really liked it because I never see him drink much water at a time! Then he ate the whole bowl of soggy food. So I have a few questions...

Since this is considered wet food now...so is it bad for my cat's teeth?

Should I stop doing this because my cat just ate a day's worth of food in 2 minutes and he's going to become an obese kitty.

Does anyone have any other opinon or reason why this is not good for my cats. I know it's just water, but my kittys are the world to me and I don't want to do anything wrong to them. I buy top notch food so that they can get good health and I don't want to screw it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 AM

I've heard the opposite. Dry cat food is not as good as canned cat food (good quality canned food of course) Dry cat food should just supplement a wet canned food diet.
#3 Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 AM

Really? I've never heard that before. The vet also told me to give them dry food as well, but I am sure that there is good quality cat food in wet and dry form.
#4 Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_grrrl View Post

Really? I've never heard that before. The vet also told me to give them dry food as well, but I am sure that there is good quality cat food in wet and dry form.

Give them both but if you are worried about getting a fat kittie, dont let him free feed (dont leave dry food in a bowl so its there when ever he wants it)

I would do wet cat food in the morning and some dry at night.
#5 Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM

One more thing...if you can buy it at the supermarket then dont buy it unless it's an emergency (ran out of premium cat food and cat is driving you crazy)

#6 Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 AM

^I could try only having the food out sometimes, but then I one cat might eat it all and the other might not get enough. Before today they were both eatting only wet food and they were allowed to have as much as they wanted, but they aren't fat because they haven't been over eatting. I think they might over eat with the dry food watered down because they did today, but maybe they only did because it's a treat to them since they aren't used to it.
#7 Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

One more thing...if you can buy it at the supermarket then dont buy it unless it's an emergency (ran out of premium cat food and cat is driving you crazy)

I don't buy at food at the supermarket EVER, because I know how bad it is for them. The dry food I buy is quite expensive, but since it's good quality it last a long time before they eat less of it because it is more filling and has all of the nutrients they need.

Thanks for your concern. I'm always trying to find a nice way of telling people not to feed their pets crap food without offending them.
#8 Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM

In terms of teeth, after a couple of crunches, dry food is the same as wet and just as likely to cause teeth problems (the exception is Hill's T/D, which is special process to fracture in a certain way).

Somtimes traits are controlled by the same gene, it's just the way the resulting protein acts in different cells. Other traits are controlled by genes located on the same chromosome and don't get separated when cross-over (gene swapping) occurs during the production of sex cells. The closer the genes are the more likely they are to stay together. This is why some seemingly unrelated traits go together.

To help prevent urinary tract problems, keep your cat well hydrated. This will dilute any potential irritants and flush them out. The premium diets are better for keeping you cat's bladder happy as well. There are less useless ingredients that might harm his bladder. If putting waten in his dry food gets him to drink more, that's good. Just split his totasl daily ratio of food into two parts and give some with water and the rest without. Just try to make sure he gets more than one feeding per day, it helps prevent the peaks and troughs in blood sugar that predisposes animals (including humans) to diabetes and other related problems.
#9 Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Hmm.. I have heard so much conflicting advice that I have reached a compromise. My fluffball gets one dry meal and one wet meal a day.

If the weather is hot I add some water to her wet food to increase her fluid intake.
#10 Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 PM

i havent heard that wet food is "bad" for their teeth, per se but that dry food is good in removing tartar. so adding water to the dry food will make it soggy and less effective at removing tartar.

and it depends on the cat. i have an orange tabby who drinks tons of water. he gets on little can of wet food per day also. other than that, dry food.
#11 Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM

A high quality dry food is better than a low quality canned food and vice versa. Wetting down dry food is basically turning it into wet food since the reason dry food would help with teeth is the "crunch" factor. If you are concerned about UTI's and your cat's water intake, I would recommend getting a cat fountain. Mine have a drinkwell fountain and they LOVE it. They sit and drink a while after each meal and just about every time they pass by the go "OO! ITS MOVING" and have a few licks. They seemed to start drinking a lot more after I got the fountain. Nonetheless, my younger cat had a UTI recently and has struvite crystals in his urine. He's on S/D crunchies for another week, then I'm switching to IVD Control. (He won't eat any good quality wet food) My other cat is 4 1/2 and has been on Hill's Oral Care for 4 yrs and his teeth are pristine white. (Also no bladder problems) Some of it depends on the cat, some on the food, some on the water intake. There's no sure fire answer or cure.

My cats are NOT free feeding though. They get 1/4 cup in the morning, 1/8 cup in the evening and 1/8 cup before bed (so they don't wake me at 5 for breakfast). I've never had free feeding cats. The last vet I worked for had read studies that said that animals who are fed at regular intervals live longer than those who can eat whenever they feel like it. Something about an empty stomach producing better digestive enzymes so they can get the most nutrition out of their food...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all your advice and info everyone!
#13 Old 12-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Wait, here's my two cents... my four kitties just went to the vet and my Tommy is way fat. He had been on feline RD which I get from the vet (reduced calorie) and lost five pounds over the course of a year. However he just gained back three so the vet suggested I switch him to canned food. There seems to be a new study out that canned has more protein, less calories and dry has a lot of carbs and a lot more calories, hence, they call it the CATKINS diet, of all things. So he is now 20 pounds and we are trying to get him down to 17. He lost half a pound in a week which is pretty good. So keep this in mind when switching to the dry food if you are concerned about your cat getting fat. The CATKINS diet is also supposed to be good in warding off diabetes. My cats have always had some dry food in their diets and they all have a tartar problem! Some more info to process when making a decision!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#14 Old 12-08-2005, 07:07 AM

^thanks a lot. They are actually already on dry food, and always have been. I wasn't considering swtiching them to wet food, just adding water to their wet food. At the moment they are both between 9-14lb. I can't believe your cat is 20lb, that's huge!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page