why does my dog not want his bones now, and just bary them - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM

So like I have had my rescued dog for about 2 months or so. He always loves his toys and bones. He always eats them........but now...he rather save his toys and bones to bary them. When he gets one..he wants outside to put them in the ground.

He rather chew on my daughters head bands, toys, wood that my husband is in remodeling in our house, whatever he can get in his mouth and is okay with that, but wants to hide his bones. It is like he is saving it up for a rainy day.

He scratches my carpert. like he wants to bury them... or just holds on to them and acts like he is not interested. Is my dog a pure veg?

But I mean what is the deal? I am not understanding his behavior now.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 PM

Calling kpickell or anyone that knows this stuff.
#3 Old 10-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

He scratches my carpert. like he wants to bury them... or just holds on to them and acts like he is not interested. Is my dog a pure veg?

Haha sounds cute! I think dogs bury things so they can save them for later. Also, some dogs are organizers. They love to put things where they belong. Like, for some reason, my chow thinks all my socks belong in the back yard.
#4 Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 PM

perhaps he's been logging onto VB and realizing that they are his fellow creatures' bones and hence he is trying to show their remains some respect instead

good boy

haha

#5 Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 PM

It's a form of resource guarding. "He who owns the most bones rules the coop." And by hiding them, you can't get them.

I wouldn't be too concerned with it, unless he starts doing it with other stuff like not eating his food because he prefers to save it too. Some dogs would prefer to starve rather than giving in and eating all their prized possessions (food kibble).

It is kind of funny though when they try to bury them into the carpet, or if they try to hide them someplace really dumb (like under your foot!) and then act all huffy when you unbury it. If it gets too annoying, you can just take away the bone/treat anytime they try to hide it and eventually they'll get the point that hiding stuff doesn't help them hold on to it longer.
#6 Old 10-21-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

It's a form of resource guarding. "He who owns the most bones rules the coop." And by hiding them, you can't get them.

I wouldn't be too concerned with it, unless he starts doing it with other stuff like not eating his food because he prefers to save it too. Some dogs would prefer to starve rather than giving in and eating all their prized possessions (food kibble).

It is kind of funny though when they try to bury them into the carpet, or if they try to hide them someplace really dumb (like under your foot!) and then act all huffy when you unbury it. If it gets too annoying, you can just take away the bone/treat anytime they try to hide it and eventually they'll get the point that hiding stuff doesn't help them hold on to it longer.

Thanks for being here. I guess I should not worry yet. This is just something new that I discovered about my dog. I think my husband is glad that we did not get new carpet yet.

Oh no, he is a pig with his food!
#7 Old 10-21-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Haha sounds cute! I think dogs bury things so they can save them for later. Also, some dogs are organizers. They love to put things where they belong. Like, for some reason, my chow thinks all my socks belong in the back yard.

Yeah, since we both hated that dog thread! That is so funny. I guess my dog is normal.

I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong or he was trying to tell me something. Thanks.
#8 Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrahil View Post

perhaps he's been logging onto VB and realizing that they are his fellow creatures' bones and hence he is trying to show their remains some respect instead

good boy

haha

Yeah, when I log on to VB he is here by my side. Maybe he is learning something. I think I taught him my language.
#9 Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 AM

It's natural for a dog to bury it's bones.

Often they do it to let the bone 'ripen' & get more interesting.

Try giving them older & smellier bones that are a bit 'on the nose'. You may find this stops the dog wanting to bury it.

Also in the wild sometimes their prey would be too big to eat in one go. Some prey animals can't climb trees so they sometimes 'hide' their food for later to keep from scavengers such as vultures, jackals etc.

Also I have heard some proponents of the BARF (Bones & Raw Food Diet for pets) say that the burying of the bone gives it extra bacteria which dogs don't get naturally, so they get it from a bone which has been buried in soil.

However you look at it it seems a natural behaviour. None of my dogs have ever been ill after eating a buried bone.

If it is a problem I would maybe encourage a 'digging area' for your dog & let him know that bit of the garden is ok.

ONE IMPORTANT THING - NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES
#10 Old 10-22-2005, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

It's natural for a dog to bury it's bones.

Often they do it to let the bone 'ripen' & get more interesting.

Try giving them older & smellier bones that are a bit 'on the nose'. You may find this stops the dog wanting to bury it.

Also in the wild sometimes their prey would be too big to eat in one go. Some prey animals can't climb trees so they sometimes 'hide' their food for later to keep from scavengers such as vultures, jackals etc.

Also I have heard some proponents of the BARF (Bones & Raw Food Diet for pets) say that the burying of the bone gives it extra bacteria which dogs don't get naturally, so they get it from a bone which has been buried in soil.

However you look at it it seems a natural behaviour. None of my dogs have ever been ill after eating a buried bone.

If it is a problem I would maybe encourage a 'digging area' for your dog & let him know that bit of the garden is ok.

ONE IMPORTANT THING - NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES

I have never given him cooked bones, just the macaroni and cheese that I wiill not eat. I mean this is getting expensive. I mean his toys and bones. I am not sure were he takes them in our back yard....since it has a pool and such... privacy fence and such...kinda of a small back yard. He just now starts to wine with a bone or a toy to go outside and scratches. I know that he does not have to pee and such...my husband sucks mowing the back yard lol.....this is just new to me with my new dog. I mean he is happy go lucky in the house, but wants this new thing.

I have no problem if he wants to be outdoors, if it is what he wants .

Maybe I should do like a scavenger hunt and just see were he likes it.

And see were those toys and bones is. lol. I mean since he tore up a lot in our back yard.
#11 Old 10-22-2005, 05:20 AM

Ahh, doggies. My dog used to do the same thing..only once he had burried it he could never find it again. Silly
#12 Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM

GGGGGGRRRRRRRR. He is still doing it. I took the bones away for 3 days, and he chewed on everything else.

I just gave him a new bone and he is hanging onto it in his mouth and keeps dropping it out. Of course, if I come near, he grabs it really fast.

Did somone say obendience school?

Just like right now, I turned and looked at him and he grabbed it! Frustrating is the word here now. But he left it on the other side of the room!

He knows what bones mean and all. He knows what get your bones means too. I just said it to him, he got it and just dropped it agian.

My husband was pissed at his hat all torn up. That is why I watch him and try to get him etertained, but it is not working sometimes.

Love my dog, even had I bad dream that I lost him last night. It was sad.

Just venting or any advice.

Will he get over it soon? He is almost one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page