VeggieBoards banner

Funny dog stories?

4K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  megveggie 
#1 ·
I have some stories to share about the dumb/funny stuff my dogs have done lately. I hope other people have some to share too because I love dog stories.

My pit, Little Man, does NOT like strangers. He usually hides and barks at them, or refuses to leave the shed while strangers are around. He usually doesn't let anyone play with him unless they come inside our house first and he knows they are friendly. My husband's friend Matt came over and he just started playing with him without freaking out. He grabbed a toy and ran over to Matt with it and I was sooo confused. After playing with Matt for about 10 minutes, he just stopped all of a sudden and stared at him. He dropped the toy and just stood there staring. Finally, he ran off and hid behind me and started barking at him. He finally realized he had NO clue who he was playing with! We all just stood there laughing until he finally got over it and went back to playing with Matt.

My new dog, Khanti, spends all day in my bedroom while I sleep. I have a ton of toys and chewies for him, and I take him out twice before I get up for the day. I've been teaching him how to play fetch and he has been catching on pretty fast, he just doesn't know the appropriate times to play fetch! I had been sleeping for about an hour, and all of a sudden Khanti head butted me. I woke up, and he had shoved all of his fetch toys up on the bed and was trying to climb up after them. He is too small to get up on the bed, so I tossed them all back on the floor and went to sleep. So guess what he did? Took every single toy to the OTHER side of the bed and covered my husband in dog toys. He did the same thing that I did, and finally Khanti just started doing it with one toy. He would shove the toy in our face and head butt us until we threw it. He did this from 8 AM til about 12 PM when my husband woke up.

Khanti is also a sock chewer. I have to put all the socks in a laundry basket and stick them on top of our dresser because he figured out how to knock the dresser drawers out. (I have NO idea how!) He will knock them out and chew up my thongs, my bras, and all of the socks. We have been training him to stop chewing, and it has been going a little better. The other day though, he picked up a sock, and picked up his toy at the same time. My husband told him to drop it, so he dropped the toy and kept the sock! He told him to drop it again, so he dropped the sock and picked the toy AND the sock back up again like he wouldn't notice! I told him to drop it, and he dropped both and started scooting around on his butt backwards away from the sock and toy. He then scooted back forward, picked the sock up, brought it to my husband, and started jumping around him....I don't know why...

See less See more
#2 ·
My German Shepard (Jess) is always doing stupid stuff... like one time she got her nose stuck in a boot.

Also if on the TV a doorbell is run she will run towards the front door and start jumping up and down.

My cousins dog (one of those sausage dogs, Fi shes called) climbed in the wash machine when it was left open. Luckily enough were found her before turning it on.

#3 ·
Dog stories! Luv 'em

I was fostering a border collie named 'Socrates' for the summer, and I used to take him down to the beach to play frizbee. First a little background... Socrates has had 7 years of agility training, and he understands a vocabulary of about 500 words & a few dozen tricks (real tricks like opening doors & walking backwards), so you can guess he's pretty conceited.

Anyway, I was in a hurry, so I just tossed the frizebee 2 or 3 times and said, ok let's go. First he didn't budge. Then I started getting irritated, and I said "Soc, I'm in a hurry, LET'S GO." He took the frizbee and ran off with it, found a family of kids 100 yards down the beach and started playing with them.

Ohhhhhhh man I was so pissed!!!

#4 ·
Since I mostly take care of my new dog, he is so jealous when my husband gives me attention. He hates when we kiss or sit by each other. He always tries to break us apart.

Like today, we had a storm and the lights went out. Me and my hubby had to stop what we were doing and just layed in bed and cuddled and talked. Man, my dog was trying to push my husband away from me. Just could not stand it. Jumping on the bed, trying to get in the middle, trying so hard to get my attention away from my husband and on to him. Funny. I think it is cute that he is so loyal.

He has a fetish with my daughters beanie babies. We have to keep her doot shut all the time. He some how just loves this yellow one the best and will fight to get to it all the time. We have hid it, and that darn dog can grab it again out of now were.

I LOVE DOGS!

#5 ·
One of my dogs is really really really very furry (wool not fur) double coated border collie. It gets pretty hot here in the summer so a few years ago I dedided to shear him. I took him along to a parlour & had him shaved. I picked him up & he looked great. He knew it too & was all proud of himself with his new look & definitely very happy with his haircut. We walked proudly into my house, happy dog with tail up, eager to show everyone his new look. My wife was on the couch & her first reaction was to laugh out loud at his new look.

The dog was so upset, tail dropped instantly, he slunk off to sulk as soon as my wife laughed at him. It was so funny (poor dog!)

And who says dogs don't have feelings!

PS I ended up buying some shears & now keep him shorn all summer & he loves it.

My other dog is a saluki & he has a penchant for getting on our bed. My wife will not let him but I'm a softy. As soon as the wife goes out he will sneek into bed with me. The other morning having a lie in after a late shift I woke up with the dog stretched out just like a human with his back on the bed, paws up, head on the pillow under the doona next to me snoring! I actually thought it was my wife next to me!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

One of my dogs is really really really very furry (wool not fur) double coated border collie. It gets pretty hot here in the summer so a few years ago I dedided to shear him. I took him along to a parlour & had him shaved. I picked him up & he looked great. He knew it too & was all proud of himself with his new look & definitely very happy with his haircut. We walked proudly into my house, happy dog with tail up, eager to show everyone his new look. My wife was on the couch & her first reaction was to laugh out loud at his new look.

The dog was so upset, tail dropped instantly, he slunk off to sulk as soon as my wife laughed at him. It was so funny (poor dog!)

And who says dogs don't have feelings!

PS I ended up buying some shears & now keep him shorn all summer & he loves it.

My other dog is a saluki & he has a penchant for getting on our bed. My wife will not let him but I'm a softy. As soon as the wife goes out he will sneek into bed with me. The other morning having a lie in after a late shift I woke up with the dog stretched out just like a human with his back on the bed, paws up, head on the pillow under the doona next to me snoring! I actually thought it was my wife next to me!
Maybe your wife needs to shave.lol. Just jokin. My dog has done this too. My husband hates when my dog is in bed with us. If I go to sleep before he gets home with the dog, I hear him coming in the door, and I say "daddy is home!" Then he jumps out of bed and lays with his head of the floor looking so inecent. It cracks me up when my dog snores also!

#7 ·
My dachshund, brutus, loves to burrow in blankets, pants, shirts, ect. so one day I went out to the store and I came back and I had left my hoodie on the couch. I sat down on the couch and noticed that it was wiggling and brutus had gotten his whole body stuck in the sleeve of my hoodie. It was soooo cute with just his little nose sticking out of the end. I ended up helping him out and within seconds he was back to normal.

#8 ·
I had a dog many years ago that was scared of his own 'farts'.

When he stretched one would often 'suprise' him & he would 'jump' & turn to look at his bum in bewilderment.

Once he walked up some stairs & the stretching action caused a 'guff' which really scared him so he run up the stairs - each step he farted & got more scared & ended up runing / jumping up the stairs in fear of his own farts (whilst I was in tears of laughter).

I've heard of being scared of your own shadow...

#9 ·
LMAO @ this thread

It renews my faith in VBers! (The I-hate-dogs thread was damn depressing)

Ok, my 1st dog story was about a "smart dog". Now I've gotta share a "dumb dog" story. Chloe is soooo dumb... she hasn't quite figured out that it's possible to walk backwards. One day she was sniffing around the basement, and she walked down a narrow space between 2 stacks of boxes. When she got to a dead end, she didn't know what to do... so she just stood there and started crying for 15 minutes. I had to pull her out by the butt.

#10 ·
This happened many years ago, but it still makes me laugh when I think about it. An ex-boyfriend had a Chocolate Lab and I took her out for a walk one day. It had been raining and the sidewalk was wet. She was licking the sidewalk and walking at the same time when she accidently stepped on her tongue. She stood on her tongue for what seemed liked forever and she couldn't figure out why her tongue was 'stuck' to the ground.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

LMAO @ this thread

It renews my faith in VBers! (The I-hate-dogs thread was damn depressing)

Ok, my 1st dog story was about a "smart dog". Now I've gotta share a "dumb dog" story. Chloe is soooo dumb... she hasn't quite figured out that it's possible to walk backwards. One day she was sniffing around the basement, and she walked down a narrow space between 2 stacks of boxes. When she got to a dead end, she didn't know what to do... so she just stood there and started crying for 15 minutes. I had to pull her out by the butt.
Yes, it was. That is a dumb dog and funny too! lol

#12 ·
This thread has kept me smiling at work today (don't tell my boss!)

I keep remembering more & more funny stories too.

My border who featured in my first story features in this one too.

A friend came round & we were enjoying a beer together & my border was doing his usual 'attention seeking missile' trick of nuzzling & leaning into my friend for a pat. He is quite persistent & sometimes 'woofs' at you if you don't keep up the patting. My friend looked at my dog who had been 'woofing' for more attention & said to him, "Can't you say something different for a change?"

The dog then made the weirdest noise he's ever made (sort of like a yodel cross yawn cross nice growl at my friend for a full 30 seconds!

We just looked at each other & lost it in tears of laughter...

Another story happened at a friends house with his dog which I think is an Australian Silkie (a small breed of dog).

His wife was in a panic & called out that the dog had injured himself & was limping in the garden with a 'stick' stuck in his stomach!

when we got there we found the 'stick' was a full on erection (lock nuts out if u get my drift) & his 'bone' was much longer than his little legs were! He was limping as his 'bone' was was digging into the ground & he had to 'limp' over it as it were!!!

#14 ·
When I was a little girl, I was even less threatening than I am now. I was the smallest in the class, smart, unpopular, etc. Daisy, my dog, was my best friend.

The girl across the street, Megan, was in my class, but was popular and never talked to me. Dennis was a boy in my class who picked on me. I wasn't fond of him.

anyway, i was out walking Daisy one day and Dennis was over at Mwgan's house. They were on the porch as I walked by. Dennis called down, "nice dog. does he bite?"

"yes she does. she's very mean and she doesn't like boys." I lied. Daisy wasn't mean unless I was threatened. It's just... every very small girl needs a very mean dog.

Megan called my bluff. "No she's not. She doesn't bite at all." Dennis jumped over the porch railing and started down the steps to my dog. "Hi, puppy!" he bellowed at her.

Daisy, in true best friend form, began growling, snarling, and barking at him. She lunged at him and big mean Dennis squealed like a frightened piglet and turned and ran into the house like his shoes were on fire. Megan was left sitting on the porch laughing so hard she was gasping for breath as I wrapped my arms around Daisy and told her what a good dog she was. She got n extra treat when we got home, too.

At school the next day, Dennis played his reaction off as a joke but people still teased him about it. Of corse, they teased me about my vicious attack dog as well, but the look on Dennis's face was enough to make it all worth it.

#15 ·
lmao bjornagain!

AngelofDance, hahaha It's always fun to see non-dogpeople freak out. Reminds me of the 1st time I met a horse... I ran screaming like little gurlyman.

Well, I'm currently going through a wacky dog story. I'm trying to remove a tick from my doggy's face, and he's getting right pissed off at my clumsy attempts (read all about it in my "Question for bug lovers" thread). Every time I come near him he growls, but then he licks me in the face to show he's not serious. Now he's hiding behind my other dog & taunting me. I snapped a picture:
LL

#16 ·
Like my dog right now, will not get a grip on chasing his tale and I think that he does not know that it is attached to it's body.

He finished off chewing my daughters head ban and left me with the mess to clean up, but now that tail thing gets to him everyday. He just growled at it.

#18 ·
Okay, this is for real and I do not want to break any VB rules.

So how can I say this. Okay, me and my husband were together tonight. I made a noise and my dog comes flying in the bed, nugging me, licking, pawing me. I just started to laugh. My husband was pissed. I just told him that he was trying to protect me. Get over it darling.

Then when it was all said and done, my dog jumps back on the bed licking and laying on my husbands feet trying to make up or something. He does this a lot, since my husband is not a dog lover like me.

#19 ·
deflatormouse: love the pic - poking his tongue out at you!

goettling: unfortunately I look like that in real life too!

---

you may have to keep the dog out of the room if the dog wants to 'interrupt' you - if it howls to get in you may have to howl yourself (a real howl not a fake howl) to drown the noise out

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

Okay, this is for real and I do not want to break any VB rules.

So how can I say this. Okay, me and my husband were together tonight. I made a noise and my dog comes flying in the bed, nugging me, licking, pawing me. I just started to laugh. My husband was pissed. I just told him that he was trying to protect me. Get over it darling.

Then when it was all said and done, my dog jumps back on the bed licking and laying on my husbands feet trying to make up or something. He does this a lot, since my husband is not a dog lover like me.
OMG! I have almost the same problem. Everytime I start to fool around with my husband, Khanti thinks he gets to join in! He tries to lick my face, and wiggle into bed next to us! If my husband gets out of bed for any reason, Khanti inches up from the foot of the bed into his spot and tries to spoon with me. It would be cute if it wasn't kinda creepy. Maybe I need to start crate training him? LOL

#22 ·
My dog Bailey hates hiphop artist Nelly. If any song of his is played, Bailey will bark and howl (A special type of howl that he only uses for that reason). Now he even barks if I say the guys name. Bailey also growls and barks at all Iams and Herbel Essences commercials, and it's not just when animals are on the screen either. He'll run out from the back bedroom barking if he hears the commercials in the living room.

Bailey also loves to pull people's socks off, then run away with them, shake them, and throw them.

Another interesting thing is that Bailey has learned words so fast that many words I started spelling (w-a-l-k, t-r-e-a-t, r-i-d-e), but unfortunately he learned the spellings too! He also knows all our names, and even all my friends names. You can tell because his reaction to each name is different. You can also tell him to look at a certain person and he will.

I guess some of those aren't as funny as they are just interesting. Maybe I should have started a new thread about companion animal talents?

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

My dog Bailey hates hiphop artist Nelly. If any song of his is played, Bailey will bark and howl (A special type of howl that he only uses for that reason). Now he even barks if I say the guys name. Bailey also growls and barks at all Iams and Herbel Essences commercials, and it's not just when animals are on the screen either. He'll run out from the back bedroom barking if he hears the commercials in the living room.

Bailey also loves to pull people's socks off, then run away with them, shake them, and throw them.

Another interesting thing is that Bailey has learned words so fast that many words I started spelling (w-a-l-k, t-r-e-a-t, r-i-d-e), but unfortunately he learned the spellings too! He also knows all our names, and even all my friends names. You can tell because his reaction to each name is different. You can also tell him to look at a certain person and he will.

I guess some of those aren't as funny as they are just interesting. Maybe I should have started a new thread about companion animal talents?
That is so funny about Nelly. I love Nelly and glad my dog does not do that! Your dog sounds very smart.

#24 ·
HA HA. Great thread, let me see . . .

I had a dog that HATED when I wore black. When I wore black he used to chase me around, nipping my heels. My good for nothing brother gave that poor dog away. I hope he's okay (the dog, not my brother.)

This story has me laughing everytime I think about it. My bf and I had just rescued a corgi-mix - Coggles- and at this point he was still frightened of people. He would hide under the bed and only come out to eat or go outside/for a walk. One night Darren and I were watching tv and our two other dogs Deefa (daschund) and Scamp (lab-ret) were being very noisy. We kept shushing them and they wouldn't stop. Then they found a sock so they were playing in FRONT of the tv, one of them pulling the sock from each side. Not only can we not hear the tv, but we can't see it. And none of our "Stop it guys" "Come on - we're watching tv" (note to self - rationalizing with dogs does not work.) After about ten minutes of this we hear quick 'tap, tap, tap' (dog nails on the wood floors). Coggles makes an appearance growls at the both of them and snatches the sock from them and goes back under the bed. The looks on their faces was priceless. They were like 'what happened' and it complete confusion! It was hysterical but maybe one of those had to be there moments.

#25 ·
That is funny, Alphie. I have not had my dog long enough to have a lot of funny stories about him. All I know is he so jealous of my husband.

I am still in the process of training my dog, that headbands and pony tail holders is not a toy. It is like I have to child-proof my house for him.

#26 ·
My parents got a new German Shepherd puppy about a year ago and she's has been entertaining to say the least.

She always had an obsession with socks and would carry them around the house all the time. They were her favorite toys. There's 7 people living in that house(8 when I'm home) and no matter how hard we all tried we couldn't keep the socks out of her sight. About 2 months after we had her she started getting sick, she stopped eating, stopped using the bathroom, and just threw up all the time. We obviously knew something was wrong and it ended up that she had eaten a gigantic tube sock and had to have surgery on her intestines! They took out quite a bit! Of course after she had healed from the surgery she went right back to carrying socks around whenever she could find them. Luckily she hasn't swallowed any since then but I always get a little nervous when I see her chewing on something she's pulled out of the dirty laundry or garbage can!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.