Cat Is Scratching Her Ears Raw - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Beginner

She did this a couple times before, but she's scratched the outside, not the inside, of her ears raw. There are little bald spots, and a couple sore spots on her ears now.

She had ear mites once before, before we owned her, and ear mites are only on the inside of a cat's ear, right? Also, she's an indoor cat, so how can she have fleas?

Does anyone know what could be causing this? My parents don't want to spend $80 on a vet visit if she isn't "sick".

I've been putting polysporin on the sore spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Beginner

She needs to go to the vet. Sometimes you can call, however, and get advice on the phone. I would do that at the very least.
#3 Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post

My parents don't want to spend $80 on a vet visit if she isn't "sick".

A cat scratching its ears raw is NOT normal behavior. Something is definitely wrong. Make your parents cough up the cash for the vet visit. Otherwise they could end up spending a lot more on the cat.

I know these are your parents, but stingy people like that make me mad. It's not like you want them to spend $80 on some kind of luxury. This is a suffering, living creature.

*this space not for sale*
#4 Old 06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Beginner

Infection or parasites. I know it's hard, but convince your parents to get her to the vet asap!

A $50 visit now could turn into a very very expensive visit later if they wait.
#5 Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

A cat scratching its ears raw is NOT normal behavior. Something is definitely wrong. Make your parents cough up the cash for the vet visit. Otherwise they could end up spending a lot more on the cat.

I know these are your parents, but stingy people like that make me mad. It's not like you want them to spend $80 on some kind of luxury. This is a suffering, living creature.

I do not understand some people.
#6 Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Beginner

My dog had this problem last year. I thought it might be mites, but it turned out to be an ear infection. It's best to have a vet take a culture of her ear and decide what's best to do. It really could be anything. My dog's ear problem ended up costing a little over a $100- a small price to pay to have him taken care of and ensure he didn't end up with any ear/hearing damage.
#7 Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Beginner

I'll talk my parents into a vet visit. She hasn't seen a vet in two years, and I've been trying since then. My friend volunteers at a vet, and she wanted me to ask her, but I haven't talked to her, so I decided to ask you guys for an opinion. But knowing my mom, "If she has an ear infection, there would be more than scratching."

If I would have knew my parents would have been like this... I wouldn't have gotten my parents to adopt our cat from the lady who used to own our house... but then again, that lady was a heavy chain smoker... which is another reason why I'm concerned about regular vet visits.
#8 Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Min
Beginner

Sounds like ear mites or an infection either way def go to a vet. My husband had a cat named knuckles when he was younger that had ear mites so bad that he ended up losing his ears. Dont get me wrong he could hear but he literally had no ears left.
#9 Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Beginner

$80 is a small price to pay to when it comes to something like this. It's definitely not normal. I hope your parents decide to help you out with this and your kitty gets better soon.
#10 Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Argh, I mentioned this to my parents, and they said it could be just dry skin... because my cat does occasionally get dry skin and dandruff. She did this once monthes ago. I'll keep trying
#11 Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Chances are, if they keep coming up with "maybe"s, whatever she may have will continue to get worse and they'll have to spend even more than they would if they'd just take her to the vet now.

I'm not sure if ear mites are only inside the ear.. but, she might be scratching trying to get inside. Could be mites, could be an infection, dry skin.. the only person that could come up with a diagnosis is a vet. Better to take her in and get an answer now, than wait until it gets worse and she scratches her ears off! That would REALLY make for a big vet bill..
#12 Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Beginner

There are a number of different sorts of mites that can afflict cats.

Fleas and other ectoparasites can hitch a ride on humans.
#13 Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Beginner

Ear mites are not just in the ears, they can crawl out, down the body and back again. This is the main reason that some treatments fail and the problem reccures. Is there any type of waxy debris? Ear mites typically (but not always) cause a very dark grainy debris. If you look closely at it you can see moving white dots sometimes. You need a vet to diagnose the ear mites, then you can start treatment. The best that I have found so far is Revolution. Most dermatologists recommend three doses two weeks apart, then monthly to prevent reinfects and other parasites (like fleas, heartworms, and intestinal parasites). It treats the entire body for the wandering mites, unlike other medicines like tressaderm or panalog. Ear mites is the most common cause of itchy ears in cats.

All pets should see a vet at least once a year, twice is better. Vets are trained to spot signs of disease much sooner than other people and the sooner the problem is found the easier the treatment and better the long term survival.
#14 Old 07-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Could be ear mites - can you see black ickiness inside the ears? Also, I know my lab mix gets yeast infections in his ears sometimes so we have to clean them regularly (white vinegar/water mix is good) - do the insides of the ears smell?

Scratching raw is bad - I agree w/ Silver - tell the folks that it's $50 now or a lot more later. Parents are pains sometimes. Give them a guilt trip maybe - something about not caring about the health and happiness and welfare of other living creatures.

Good luck to you and kitty!
#15 Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Beginner

She had ear mites once before we got her. There isn't any black ickiness and no waxyness. Her ears don't smell. I cuddle her all the time... she smells like a bounce sheet.

Ever since we got her, she always itched the sides of her face. The hair is sparse there. A couple times she scratched her ears till there were little bald spots, but not until she bleeds. And she does occasionally have dandruff.

She's scared of my mom, so my mom can't get a good look at her ears to judge for herself, which isn't helping. I brought up the vet thing today, even offered to put my allowance towards the bill... but my mom just told me to try a different cream on her ears. If it doesn't work, I'll keep rubbing it in that she needs to see a vet.

And she says getting her to a vet will be a pain. My cat hates my brother and my mom. My brother harrasses, chases and "hugs" her while she's trying to sleep, and my mom talks loudly and sternly at her if she catches the cat doing something that she's not supposed to be doing. She also can't stand it when my mom yells. And the cat won't even let anybody in the family pick her up. My mom calls her "stuck up".

So none of these factors help me at all
#16 Old 07-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Hmm. You could always try calling your vet's office, explain what's wrong with the cat, explain that your parents won't let you bring her in . . . maybe the vet will volunteer to tell your parents it's important for the cat to come in to be looked at or maybe you can bring in the cat yourself and they'll let you do a payment plan or something.

Maybe the cat's allergic to a food source or some sort of environmental factor . . . what kind of food is the cat eating?
#17 Old 07-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Beginner

I had a cat with irritated ears. I kept putting off going to the vet. Then she got a hematoma. It's when the two sides of the ear separate and fill with blood. It was very painful for her and she had to get surgery. Several hundred dollars plus a lot of suffering for my poor kitty. Plus it was much more inconvenient than a simple vet visit and medicine.

Maybe your cat doesn't like your family because they don't seem to like it very much.

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissue...ncallvet_2.htm
#18 Old 07-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies.

We've fed her Whiskas dry cat food and the occasional Tender vittles. Before we had her, they only fed her wet food, and had to have two of her teeth pulled because they were rotten.

I'm going to keep trying. I really don't want to see her come down with something serious due to not having a regular checkup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page