VeggieBoards banner

Equestians??

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Naturebound 
#1 ·
Does any of you guys have horses or am I only equestrian around here?

#3 ·
I've never been in the financial position to own a horse (maybe some day I will), but I've been riding horses all my life. Nothing serious. Just riding lessons and riding camps. English and Western saddles, as well as bareback riding. I can do a basic jump in English saddle.

#4 ·
Meee! Hi Nicky! I have seven myself.
One dressage schoolmaster who's getting on in years and is reduced to light work and demonstrations.
Two off the track thoroughbreds who are amazing eventers.
One young warmblood who's going to be a top dressage horse one day. (For someone else, I'm advertising her when she's competed in her first elementary dressage test. We bred her ourselves and her bloodlines are too good to justify keeping her to only compete occasionally)
One young warmblood who we're waiting to break in. (She's almost 4 but she isn't fully mature yet, we don't believe in breaking them in when they're babies, we just do ground work with them until then)
And the other two are our expensive lawnmowers, lol.

What kind of riding do you do?

#6 · (Edited)
For people who are interested in having a horse friend, please consider adopting from a horse rescue organization.

#7 ·
For people who are interested in having a horse friend, please consider adopting from a horse rescue organization.
Or, since horses make awesome friends but can be expensive, consider volunteering at a rescue or maybe sponsoring a horse to get your horse fix (or develop a need for one :p ).

Also, Scout says hi

Attachments

#9 ·
My grandpa had six horses when I was a kid. He used to say all the time, "those damned horses eat money and sh*t debt!"

Good ol' grandpa.

#11 ·
I rode a horse once many years ago, bareback. I didn't want to, but my partner talked me into trying it. His sister had a horse. The horse was a bit feisty, and she didn't seem to want us to ride her. She kept backing up when my partner would try to get on her. I was uneasy about the whole thing, really would have preferred not to ride her (I wasn't vegan then, but still troubled by the idea of taking ownership over a horse and riding one). My partner promised not to make her run, but once we were on her and rode for a ways, he made her gallop. I remember screaming and starting to cry a little because I was terrified and it hurt (remember I was bareback, but my partner had a saddle). The horse must have understood my fear and pain, because she instantly slowed down without my partner doing anything to make her slow down. I never rode a horse again after that, and it took a long time before I forgave my partner for violating my trust. But I still petted the horse afterwards and she was so loving towards me then. She looked at me as if to forgive me, and she liked to be touched. It was a strange experience. Unfortunately my partner's sister could no longer afford to keep her when both she and her husband were laid off work, and they sold her. Very sad. I hope wherever she is she is well cared for if she is still alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.