Gross cat litter problem- maggots - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2004, 11:00 AM

I use swheat scoop which is made from wheat. I noticed that starting this summer, if I don't empty the litter pail like every couple of days, maggots will hatch in the pail. It's very disgusting. You think maggots by themselves are gross. Think maggots on top of cat urine and feces. I am assuming that maybe there are eggs already in the litter itself since it's wheat, and probably not food grade wheat. I really, really like this litter and it's cheap.

It's definitely not from my cat in any way. It could be from outside flies since there is a crack in the lid of the pail. I am thinking of getting a diaper genie for my litter since it's a major pain to throw out trash in my apartment every day.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 AM

You can flush the swheat scoop. When I scoop my litter boxes I scoop them straight into the toilet and flush them down. As long as you scoop often, you don't have to worry about the clumps clogging the toilet (on occasion when this does happen, I just let it sit for a little while until the clumps break down more in the water).

That said, I have never, ever seen maggots in the three years I've been using Swheat Scoop.
#3 Old 08-13-2004, 11:23 AM

Thalia, have you had the maggot problem with just one bag of swheat scoop or has this happened over the course of using several bags?
#4 Old 08-13-2004, 01:07 PM

you mean it's in the container of clean litter and not in the litter box? i would call the company, that ain't right.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 PM

I agree with LF. If it's in the litter itself, then there must be alot of other infested bags out there. Maybe some flies got into the wheat while it was still at the manufacturing plant. (?) Call the company and see if you can get a refund (if it's in their error, of course).

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 08-13-2004, 05:06 PM

If you have a big freezer (don't worry, I'm not going anywhere disgusting with this) you can try freezing the clean litter for a few days before you put it in the box to kill off any possible eggs that might be in there. At least then you will know if it is coming with the litter or something that is happening when the wastes sit there for a while.

It would be worth calling the company to see if this is somehting they have heard of already. I'll bet they have.

Sunny
#7 Old 08-16-2004, 01:06 AM

i think its moth larve.

thanks for the eye opener. i was thinking about buying this stuff but i wont consider it now. im sticking with my good old maggot free tidy cats!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#8 Old 09-01-2004, 01:34 PM

Hello, I know of an alternative to the sweet scoop,(I have also pasted some information I found on the possiblity of toxins in some litters) Cat Scat is all natural made from pea hulls it may not clump as hard as sweet scoop but it is a healthier alternative and no bugs. It also smells great very minty.The product again is called Cat Scat. it is about $7.99 for 10 lbs. but goes as far as 20 pounds of clay.(reasonable) Hope this helps !!

The World's Best Cat Litter

World's Best Cat Litter: www.worldsbestcatlitter.com, 1600 Oregon Street, Muscatine, IA 52761 (877) 367-9225

Description

Clumping litter made from corn. No clay, no silica, no perfumes, no synthetic chemicals.

Comments (2001)

Many people have written to me saying they love this litter. So we started testing it in December 2000. It truly clumps, but doesn't present the potential health problems that clay clumping litters offer. Because the fine sand-like texture is very similar to SWheatScoop, our cats had no problems making the transition to this litter. Another big plus is that it doesn't have the stickiness problems that the older forumulation of SWheatScoop had. And it truly lasts a long time, so although it may seem expensive, it isn't.

However, I have also heard that, contrary to the manufacturer's claims, the corn is not organic in the sense that most of us understand that term. Although technically, one can call something organic if it contains carbon, that's the scientific definition. For something to be organic in the generally understood way, it must meet organic standards, including not having been exposed to pesticides and herbicides and not be a genetically modified plant product. According to one source, this litter is made from genetically modified corn that has been exposed to herbicides and pesticides, both of which types of materials are toxic, remain as residue in any plants that are exposed to them, and pose cancer and other health hazards to humans and animals. On the blanace, this is certainly a far safer alternative than clumping clay kitty litters, but perhaps another alternative would be safer. Still, if you must have a clumping litter, this one or SWheatScoop are the only two non-clay choices I know of.
#9 Old 09-01-2004, 03:41 PM

We sampled Swheat Scoop once or twice, and it was all right, but not as effective as clay, which I didn't want to use anymore. World's Best Litter is a new one for us, and so far my wife and I really prefer it to anything we've ever used, so truth in advertising on that score, IMO. And, yes, "organic" refers to the fact that it's not mineral. It does not mean "Certified Organic."
#10 Old 09-02-2004, 04:02 PM

Just goes to show that trying out different things is a good idea. I hated World's Best Cat Litter (although Yesterday's News was the worst). It got stinky really fast and didn't clump well. Maybe I got a bad batch. *shrug*
#11 Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 PM

I find it doesn't clump the way one is used to other clumping litters, but I also find that to be a good thing. It seems to be pretty much dust-free, it does a decent job trapping odors, and it coats the waste just enough to make it easy to scoop out and flush twice a day. It does smell kinda weird when you're used to the other products.
#12 Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I just started using it too. I didn't notice it not clumping. I did notice the odd smell though. Not a urine smell or anything, but I guess an old corn smell.
#13 Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 PM

when going to feed my cat Rupert this morning I noticed a few small white rice shaped things in his bowl. i assumed it was rice because a) we had indian for dinner last night b) he is a terror in the night and probably got into the garbage and c) the garbage can is nearby his bowl. after i inspected the kitchen later today i noticed the rice was now moving, and is not rice but maggots. after sweeping near his litter i found the culprit. i've used worlds best before and didnt have any problems with it; this is my first time with swheat and although i like its smell and clumping effects better than worlds best, i think ill have to switch back. anyways, thanks for posting this - im glad to know im not the only one out there with maggots in their cat litter. for a moment i lost all confidence in whatever housekeeping skills i have.
#14 Old 07-02-2006, 12:50 PM

ewww...I never tried the swheat.. I have seen it before though. I don't like sandy clumping litters which is why I didn't try it.

I use a half and half combo of Feline Pine and Yesterdays News. The Feline Pine is the best for soaking up the urine with no urine smell for my cats. It turns into dust when it gets wet. So, there is a a little dust around my house after a while but not that bad.

I put the Yesterdays News on top of the Feline Pine to add more litter to the pile for digging. I have three cats and they all use the same giant box. I find I have to replace the whole thing only every two weeks. Which isn't bad for three cats!
#15 Old 07-02-2006, 10:04 PM

whoa, old thread. ick at the maggots.

did you ever get that taken care of, thalia?
#16 Old 07-04-2006, 04:57 AM

You cant possibly consider killing those poor maggots! Think of the Ethics involved!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page