Older cat is so needy - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Beginner

I've got 2 cats, one is ~15. I've had her since she's been about 3, got her from SPCA after she'd been a stray.

She's always been devoted to me, being nearby most (not all) of the time. She's always had the habit, since Day 1, of crying outside the bathroom door if I didn't leave it cracked for her to come in and out while I'm showering.

Lately though she is SO clingy it is making me sad for her. She clings to me every second. Every.single.second. She has to be sitting ON my lap every second or she's whining to get on. If I start to leave the room she is at my heels following.

She's been to the vet several times recently and she's pretty healthy. She doesn't act like she's tired, in pain, cranky, or moody. She just sits there and purrs, naps, or just stares at me.

She does have slight vision problems but functions fine.

This weekend the only time she has been separated from me was momentarily to eat, go to the bathroom and to see what was in the can my husband was opening. Day and night--every second, on my lap.

Is this normal behavior?

Beanitarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Take her to the veterinarian as so,as you can. Cats do not show illness until it is too late and affection is often their way of telling you that something is wrong.

My older kitty was very clingy until she passed I think they kow when their time is close. Love her while you have her. 15 Is a long happy life.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive via TapaTalk
#3 Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Wow, really?! Yikes.

Beanitarian.
#4 Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Beginner

But if she's otherwise healthy...how can her time be near?

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Beginner

I know you said that she's been to the vet recently but how recent is recent? Did they do any diagnostics or just a physical exam? Sometimes sudden changes in behaviour can be a sign of illness, for Simon I know that extra snuggliness usually means a IC or asthma flareup is coming. Fifteen is older but definitely not ancient in my mind, I've met some wonderful and happy cats in their late teens to early twenties. Heck, the 24 year old I met last year is my example to my cats of how they're going to age. I truly think that the average span of 12-15 years is low when you're averaging good owners vs tossing in the average to horrible owners. That's not even taking into account the advances in vet med and the ability to manage more conditions and increase quality and length of life.

For some cats that degree of snuggling can be their normal. Jimmy is either snuggled with/near a human or with his Best Kitty Friend, he doesn't like the alone. We call him our velcro kitty.
#6 Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Beginner

She was at the vet a month or two ago, several times. He did a very thorough workup. The only known ongoing problems is slight reduction in eyesight, heart murmur and -TMI alert-

the typical anal sac thing. He had to clear that up 2-3x.

I guess I'm supposed to take her back for a 3rd visit to check her hind end again. :x

Right now she's jumping and running around with her toy trying to get me to play with her.

Beanitarian.
#7 Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Beginner

I really hope that your cat is fine but one of my cats was always very grumpy but became friendly towards the end of her life. She had kidney trouble and I don't know if your cat has been tested for that?
#8 Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Well, I have 12 cats-mostly rescues/fosters who couldn't get other homes. About half are clingy, and I don't bother sitting down unless I can stay awhile!
One cat I have is typically not so friendly. When she starts nuzzling me at night, and getting next to me in a chair, I know she's due for a urinary screen.
Since she's been checked out, and the behavior isn't unusual, maybe just give your vet a call to get another opinion?
#9 Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Beginner

I've noticed similar behavior with my Thor since Mandi (his mom) died last year. I thought the extra affection was because he was missing her, even though they weren't particularly 'close'. But he's still extra affectionate so I guess that wasn't it. He is 16 1/2. Right now we're dealing with some blood related problems...initially he got a clean bill of health with some minor anemia issues but the re-test results weren't so good...waiting for more test results to come back, tomorrow.

Maybe your kitty is feeling more insecure because of her vision problems, even though she seems to be functioning fine.
I suppose it could be normal for aging kitties to act like this. They probably know they are getting old and maybe they just want more attention/company.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Beginner

I am not sure I want to know the answer to this question--why would urinary problems make a cat cuddly? *shudder*

But anyhoo yes she has been checked for that. I remember b/c I just agreed to a kidney test & afterward was billed a gajillion dollars. Apparently they take a urine sample with a needle. Vet said she just laid there and let him do it. She is so good!

She has always wanted to be nearby. When I first got her she would sleep next to me in bed but she had to be facing me. If I turned over she'd walk to the other side and lay over there facing me.

But the last few weeks she is stuck to me like peanut butter on jelly. She hates it when I go to bed & tries to get me to come downstairs to play with her toy.

I have actually thought the same thing karenlovessnow did about her vision.

Beanitarian.
#11 Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Beginner

It sounds like your cat has emotional problems.
#12 Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Apparently they take a urine sample with a needle. Vet said she just laid there and let him do it. She is so good!

yeah it's alarming but it makes sense since there's no contamination. my Hobo was nice enough to pee in the bathtub and provide me with a larger but contaminated sample otherwise I think it would be pretty difficult.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#13 Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Beginner

I was lucky too...Thor gave his sample in a clean litterbox with those little plastic pellets.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#14 Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Cystos (cystocentesis - getting a urine sample directly from the bladder with a needle) are surprisingly straightforward for the most part. If you have an experienced person doing it it's all done before the cat can get out a WTF sort of look. I actually think a lot of cats tolerate a cysto better than they do having blood drawn. I prefer it for my cats if we need a urine sample because it gives us the option of sending the sample off for a culture and sensitivity if necessary. Of course, if you try to come anywhere near Simon without anesthesia he'll take you down for even contemplating touching him. He's fun that way. Asthma cats with urinary issues should absolutely be so fractious that they require anesthesia for any and all diagnostics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page