how do you keep kitty litter smell down? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Beginner

A friend of mine found a kitty abandoned on the side of a busy road and I ended up adopting her. She is AWESOME and I love her and she has a home with me, period. The issue is her poopie is so stinky...im not really keen on a smelly poop box in my house, even though its tucked away in the guest bedroom closet. How do you guys feed your cats, or use litter, to keep the odor down? I clean out poos daily, and change it entirely every three days.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginner

It may be her food. When we first rescued my Jean Claude( who was found by the roadside as well, by the way), I fed him canned food, and his poop was like nothing I've ever smelled! I switched to a natural dry food and things got better. This probably sounds silly, but when I can, I stand by with my scoop and flush the poop down as soon as he goes. There's also a great product called FON (feline odor neutralizer) that most vets sell or you can purchase online that is a fantastic odor killer. You can spray a little over the litter and it will kill the smell. It's a bit pricey, but works on cat box smells and lasts a long time.
NOW- having said that, I will tell you that it may just be that she's one of those cats who has stinky poop! My Rhett has this problem and I've just had to learn to deal with is as best as I'm able. Good luck and congrats on your new kitty!
#3 Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Beginner

No advice I use the one that is at the grocery store odor eliminator , I hope you find something tho.
#4 Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Covered in Waves

I clean the box every day and don't use clay cat litter.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#5 Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sprinkling baking soda on it helps.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Beginner

I guess cleaning at every opportunity, and also I find those crystaline litters to be very good. Though i havent had to put a litter tray out in years, my cats use the garden.
#7 Old 10-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Beginner

We had a similar issue. Suddenly adopting a pregnant cat earlier this year. Because we didn't want her getting pregnant again (apparently they can within days of giving birth) she had to use kitty litter for 6 weeks and now because we have kept a kitten we still have the litter box.
We have found that the ONLY way to keep the smell under control is spending a bit (quite a bit) more on the expensive odour control kitty litter. We empty it 1x per day and never change it all over (coz its clumping, so once you remove the dirty bits its essentially clean) rather we just take the dirty bits out and add more clean stuff if the levels are getting low.
We have found that this way by buying the expensive indoor odour control stuff it still works out cheaper because we don't have to change the whole litter box 1x/week as we previously were doing to attempt to control the odour (with little success). AND best of all, it doesn't smell AT ALL. Works wonders.
The expensive stuff that we buy is crystal litter stuff - its fantastic. The paper stuff we were buying was the smelliest and the clay stuff wasn't great either.
#8 Old 10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Beginner

I use both Arm&Hammer and Tidy Cats deodorizers. They can be pretty expensive, but I get them at Target. They're cheaper there than anywhere else.

If I run out of those I use regular baking soda which is cheaper. My only complaint about baking soda is that it tends to come out in a lot of little clumps, and I have better things to do than spend my time breaking up baking soda clumps with the litter box scoop.

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Beginner

My Mandi (RIP) was the worst smelling cat E-V-E-R, but she had inflammatory bowel disease for five years before she died in April. All of the suggestions here are good ones. I just discovered "World's Best Cat Litter" and I find that works best for me. I agree with scooping the litter as soon after the cat goes. That helps a lot. I also use the old match trick...if the odor is lingering for more than a minute or two, I strike a few matches and blow them out...the odor is gone instantly. I like to light candles if I am going to be home for a while, too. I have had great luck with this.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Beginner

I've started using "Worlds best cat litter" too because my sister gave it to me. I also sprinkle in some deodorizer. And I bought this thing for the bathroom that is supposed to absorb odor/give off a fresh scent. All of those things have been working pretty well so far, but I live in a tiny apartment and it's not quite as odor free as I'd like, even with scooping it out often.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#11 Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

We had a similar issue. Suddenly adopting a pregnant cat earlier this year. Because we didn't want her getting pregnant again (apparently they can within days of giving birth) she had to use kitty litter for 6 weeks and now because we have kept a kitten we still have the litter box.
We have found that the ONLY way to keep the smell under control is spending a bit (quite a bit) more on the expensive odour control kitty litter. We empty it 1x per day and never change it all over (coz its clumping, so once you remove the dirty bits its essentially clean) rather we just take the dirty bits out and add more clean stuff if the levels are getting low.
We have found that this way by buying the expensive indoor odour control stuff it still works out cheaper because we don't have to change the whole litter box 1x/week as we previously were doing to attempt to control the odour (with little success). AND best of all, it doesn't smell AT ALL. Works wonders.
The expensive stuff that we buy is crystal litter stuff - its fantastic. The paper stuff we were buying was the smelliest and the clay stuff wasn't great either.

I like this idea a lot. Thanks! Once I go through this clay litter, I'm going to try this.

#12 Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

I like this idea a lot. Thanks! Once I go through this clay litter, I'm going to try this.

You might consider wheat litter, we never smell anything, it's better for the environment, and it clumps as well as others.

Quote:
Clay, chemical and fragrance free. Ordinary clumping litters contain chemical additives and flowery fragrances. They also make clouds of clay dust when poured. Not Multi-Cat Swheat Scoop Litter! Its natural wheat enzymes work around the clock to eliminate odor, no matter how many cats you have. While natural wheat starches form firm, solid clumps as soon as they come in contact with moisture.

Safe for the environment. If you’re an eco-conscious shopper, you’ll be glad to know that Multi-Cat Swheat Scoop is 100% biodegradable as well as compostable. You’ll also appreciate the fact that it’s made from a renewable resource – wheat grown right here in the U.S.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
#13 Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post

I've started using "Worlds best cat litter" too because my sister gave it to me. I also sprinkle in some deodorizer. And I bought this thing for the bathroom that is supposed to absorb odor/give off a fresh scent. All of those things have been working pretty well so far, but I live in a tiny apartment and it's not quite as odor free as I'd like, even with scooping it out often.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

My problem exactly. I have a tiny house, four rooms around a small foyer. I'd love more space for my little family.

#14 Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Tom
Beginner

I hode by doze.

Seriously, I don't think my sense of smell is very acute. I use a pelletted litter made from recycled paper, but I only have one cat now- the most I've ever had at one time was 3, and I think I was using a clay litter formulated for multiple cats then. My sister uses a clumping clay litter, I think- although she has 3 cats, the litterbox doesn't smell bad.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#15 Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Good food is very important! I tried the cheaper food before and the smell and almost diarreah of the poop was horrible! (yes I did it slowly). They also ate much more.
I get California Natural- definitly no corn, soy or wheat. Brown rice is easily digested with quality grade meat as first ingrediant-no by-products or meal.

I hate the scented litters-your cats nose is right there, and much more sensitized to smells than ours.

I LOVE Sweat Scoop! Not the multiple cat one-that stinks-the regular formula. It clumps pee, and is easy to shake off. You can put poops down the toilet. They have a card in each bag and when you save 12 you send them in for a free bag.

My cats are all rescues and a couple appartently had Giardia-a water bourne parasite. It lives in their intestines and can be dormant for some time without symptoms. Their poop went from normal to smelly and then loose with some blood. A simple stool test is needed. It doesn't respond to wormers.
You do have to get it wormed-worms will cause stinky poop.
Just being new to the home can cause changes too.

Good Luck!
#16 Old 10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

My problem exactly. I have a tiny house, four rooms around a small foyer. I'd love more space for my little family.

Same here.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#17 Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I use both Arm&Hammer and Tidy Cats deodorizers. They can be pretty expensive, but I get them at Target. They're cheaper there than anywhere else.

If I run out of those I use regular baking soda which is cheaper. My only complaint about baking soda is that it tends to come out in a lot of little clumps, and I have better things to do than spend my time breaking up baking soda clumps with the litter box scoop.

i get those also and I was afraid to mention yet LOL.
#18 Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Beginner

I decided to try felinepine, the generic Publix version. I got to talking to this lady and her husband at the store and they went on and on about how it was a godsend and there was NO ODOR at all. AND it was relatively inexpensive at 3.89 for 7lbs. So we will see. I'm gradually introducing it to the clay litter and will eventually only use that. Will keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the advice!

#19 Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Covered in Waves

Yes please do let us know! Feline Pine is a lot cheaper than SweatScoop from what I've seen, but I was a lil hesitant about how well it works, especially since I get to odor with sweatscoop.

#20 Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Beginner

When I had rooomates (we each had a cat or two) we converted a closet into the litter room. That contained most of the smell. Then we burned incense everyday to cover up any nasty odors.

When I lived alone I had an automatic litter box that I kept in the bathroom under the sink. I put stuff that smelled good in the bathroom (potpourri and stuff like that). I also left the fan on 24/7 in that room.

Now, my husband scoops the boxes (the auto litter box broke after many years) once a day. And I just got a Scentsy wickless candle to make the house smell nice.

(We use corn litter because it's the safest for the other family members - dogs - who might come in contact with it.)
#21 Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

You might consider wheat litter, we never smell anything, it's better for the environment, and it clumps as well as others.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I've never seen this before, but I'd like to try it out now. Thanks for the link.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#22 Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

I've never seen this before, but I'd like to try it out now. Thanks for the link.

I am going to give it a try as well!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#23 Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I use World's Best Cat Litter. It's definitely a little pricey, but well worth it in terms of the smell. I've used swheatscoop before, but really didn't like it. It didn't help the smell at all in my house.

Good luck in your search!
#24 Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Beginner

I use the generic feline pine at publix, and it it the best. I never smell anything, and there's no tracking.

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#25 Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Beginner

i use the dirt cheap clay litter and it works really well for my 6 cats
#26 Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

It may be her food. When we first rescued my Jean Claude( who was found by the roadside as well, by the way), I fed him canned food, and his poop was like nothing I've ever smelled! I switched to a natural dry food and things got better. This probably sounds silly, but when I can, I stand by with my scoop and flush the poop down as soon as he goes. There's also a great product called FON (feline odor neutralizer) that most vets sell or you can purchase online that is a fantastic odor killer. You can spray a little over the litter and it will kill the smell. It's a bit pricey, but works on cat box smells and lasts a long time.
NOW- having said that, I will tell you that it may just be that she's one of those cats who has stinky poop! My Rhett has this problem and I've just had to learn to deal with is as best as I'm able. Good luck and congrats on your new kitty!

Just to let you know I heard that you shouldn't flush cat poop down the toilet because it makes sea otters very sick. Cats expel parasites and things in their feces that isn't save for sea otters to ingest, so that's why people say not to teach cats to use the toilet or flush down cat poop. The people at the San Diego SeaWorld sea otter area were telling people that had cats about it
#27 Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

I use World's Best Cat Litter. It's definitely a little pricey, but well worth it in terms of the smell. I've used swheatscoop before, but really didn't like it. It didn't help the smell at all in my house.

Good luck in your search!

My experience was the exact opposite! The multicat was awful, but the regular sweatscoop I love!
I pay $25.00 for a 40 lb. bag, usually has a $2.00 coupon on it. I've seen it online much higher.

Doesn't feline pine get mushy? I tried the pellets and that turned to wet sawdust.
#28 Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Just to let you know I heard that you shouldn't flush cat poop down the toilet because it makes sea otters very sick. Cats expel parasites and things in their feces that isn't save for sea otters to ingest, so that's why people say not to teach cats to use the toilet or flush down cat poop. The people at the San Diego SeaWorld sea otter area were telling people that had cats about it

I think I've heard that before. Thanks.
Cats really are environment hazards The clay, both regular and scoopable, is stripmined and devastates the land.
#29 Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

We used one of these:

and normal clumping litter (not cheap stuff but it wasn't odour controlling stuff or anything.)

That litter box has carbon filters in it and they really don't smell as long as you get the poo and the clumps out. I scooped it in the morning and in the evenings (she tended to go outside during the day ) and fully changed the litter every 3 days or so.. Oh and used deodorising tray liners. Never had a problem with the smell...
#30 Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I use the generic feline pine at publix, and it it the best. I never smell anything, and there's no tracking.

I tried this and don't think I like it...my kitty Madison is really a fuzzy kitty, and she was taking antibiotics (which can cause stomach upset) at the time I switched her litter. It seems she can't cover her deposits at all and I had to daily give her a bath to get remnants off of her fur. The smell, I will admit, was almost nonexistent. I also don't know how I feel about how the pellets disintegrate - seems like more to stick to her little feet.

Maybe I should try again? Not sure. Going to try crystal litter next.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page