Idiot putting poison out to kill possum - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM

I am boiling mad, and need to rant, so bear with me. My neighbor just informed me that some stupid ass people in our neighborhood are putting out poison to take care of the "possum problem" in our neighborhood. Not only is this horrible for the poor little things, but there are many outdoor cats in this area. I'm about to call the homeowner's association and raise the roof. I will suggest live traps, of course. What the heck is wrong with people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM

possums are viewed as pests. no surprise that they're doing that.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I know. It's just the callousness of some humans that never ceases to amaze me. I'm also concerned about the cats who roam the neighborhood. I've placed a call to the president of the homeowner's association. I'm going to suggest calling up some trap and relocate people. It's pretty clear the possum's horrific deaths will cause no worries here, so I'm going to play the concerned pet owner card.
#4 Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

It's pretty clear the possum's horrific deaths will cause no worries here, so I'm going to play the concerned pet owner card.

Good call - you have a better chance of being taken seriously.

I am very fond of possums. I don't see why even the most wildlife phobic can't co-exist with them.
#5 Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Good call - you have a better chance of being taken seriously.

I am very fond of possums. I don't see why even the most wildlife phobic can't co-exist with them.

Same here. We have the cutest little fella who climbs on top of our back fence from time to time. My neighbor just laughed when I said something about what a horrible way to die poisoning would be. Guess I'm in the minority around here. Oh well, who cares, right?
#6 Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM

aholes.
when I lived I'm miami some ass was doing this and also killed my cat.

Atame.
#7 Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Humans suck. How could an opossum bother anyone? They don't do anything. Is this legal in your area? Years ago when some ass threatened to put ground glass in food for a stray dog, I told him it was illegal to do so and animal control might somehow find out about it. He never put out the contaminated food. Guess he didn't trust me not to call animal control.
#8 Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Humans suck. How could an opossum bother anyone? They don't do anything.

That's what I was thinking - they don't get into stuff, they're not destructive, they don't attack anyone. (Not that any of those are reasons to get rid of wild animals - they're just common excuses, but they're not even applicable to possums.)
#9 Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not only is this horrible for the poor little things, but there are many outdoor cats in this area

You could also point out that a dog could eat the dead possum and get poisoned as well .

They kill/poision/trap millions of them down here , the reason given are: eat birds eggs and young chicks , eat leaves of the trees and get TB .
#10 Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Humans suck. How could an opossum bother anyone? They don't do anything. Is this legal in your area? Years ago when some ass threatened to put ground glass in food for a stray dog, I told him it was illegal to do so and animal control might somehow find out about it. He never put out the contaminated food. Guess he didn't trust me not to call animal control.

I'll know more when these people contact me. It wouldn't surprise me if they're doing this themselves. There's a black box in front of my fence that has rat poison inside. Of course, I blocked it as soon as it was discovered. These homeowner's association people are so anal they have a heart attack if there's a piece of trash on the curb. Some jerk probably complained about a possum digging in his/her trash can or something. Wouldn't surprise me.Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the bottom of this before it's too late.
#11 Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck, Sally. You might, in a calm, clear, voice (emphasis mine)*, point out there are several outdoor pets in your neighbourhood, that might get hurt or killed by this. Pet owners tend to be rather unhappy when their pets are killed, and might see the light. You also might want to ask a wildlife expert in your area to talk at your homeowners association meeting, and see what good (or bad--believe me, I'm no possum expert) to talk about possums and trapping in your area. I know it's against the law to trap animals in Washington State. I'm not sure where you live, or what the laws are.

*I know you're inferiated, but getting mad at the meeting won't solve anything. Just remain calm, cool, and collected. It will get you a lot further. Good luck with everything.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM

you should point out that opossums eat any fruits that fall from trees so they prevent rotting fruit from being around (if there's fruit trees in your area). they also kill various venomous/poisonous animals like snakes and spiders as well as other unwanted animals like cockroaches and rats or mice. further, opossums are rarely aggressive. they look mean but they will only attack as a last resort after threats and playing dead didn't work and even then it's rare. they are not likely to carry rabies either due to their low body temperature.
#13 Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM

jesus christ that would make me angry too.

If I didn't get a satisfactory resolution I would stealthily put signs up all around the area to alert everyone that their free roaming pets may be in danger because of this.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM

This kind of thing angers me too. No possums here though.
I have a friend who lives in Missouri, and she told me that possums and armadillos were pests, but they didn't poison them... they just shot them. -shakes head-

It reminds me of this guy I met once, one of my parents friends or acquaintances or something (I don't really remember), who was talking about poisoning/shooting/otherwise murdering his neighbor's cat because it kept using his garden as a litterbox....

People absolutely disgust me with their inability to see this from the animals' perspective. It's like, do you really think a cat has any concept of property lines? Do you think she's pooping in your garden because she doesn't like you or something? They don't understand any of that stuff! It's like killing a young child for drawing on the walls!

People always complain about how "it's just a dumb animal" or some really scienc-y types might accuse you of anthropomorphosizing... they accuse us of believing they know more than they do, but they do the same thing when an animal does something they don't like. If you think they're so "dumb" why do you think they're smart enough to know that YOUR particular patch of dirt is a no-poop-zone?

Sorry, rant over. lol.
#15 Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:

What the heck is wrong with people?

Human egocentrism. It is really upsetting. Thanks for standing up for the animals in your neighborhood

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
#16 Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM

This has been on the back burner with things so crazy here because of Atticu's sickness. My calls have gone unanswered. I'm thinking of going to those in the neighborhood who have cats to help get the word out.
#17 Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

This has been on the back burner with things so crazy here because of Atticu's sickness. My calls have gone unanswered. I'm thinking of going to those in the neighborhood who have cats to help get the word out.

Go to neighborhoods with dogs, as well. Good luck, Sally.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#18 Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Go to neighborhoods with dogs, as well. Good luck, Sally.

I will. Thanks, Purp.
#19 Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Try "Lead" to get read of the possum... as bad as it sounds... it better than poison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page