Girl bunny started humping other girl bunny....uh oh. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Uh oh.

SO Lola and Daisy came to me a month ago after being abandoned in a park. the vet said they were girls, and I left it at that. She said to leave it a month before considering vaccines, and then a month after that for spayings, cos they were probably stressed out from being abandoned and shipped about a lot.
But as time has went on, Lola has gotten more 'frisky', always running around Daisy in circles which makes her upset and run away from Lola. Of course they do spend 90% of their day snuggling, so it's not like they hate each other. Anyway, I thought Lola was just really hyper and playful, but then tonight she was fully mounting Daisy's back and trying to bunny-hump her! I'm kinda worried cos of being just a student so can't afford bunny babies, as precious as they would be.

Also, cos Lola is so hyper, she won't let me pick her up to check and see if she is definitely a boy and not just a humpy female!

HELP?

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Beginner

I got a good laugh from the title of your post I'd take her to the vet and have it confirmed that she is in fact a she. Explain the situation and ask if it is normal.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#3 Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

I got a good laugh from the title of your post I'd take her to the vet and have it confirmed that she is in fact a she. Explain the situation and ask if it is normal.

hehe yeah I just noticed how it looked. Not that I have anything against lesbians rabbit lesbians, could there be anything cuter??
I'm going to phone the vet first thing in the morning then, thanks!

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

#4 Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroythenight View Post

hehe yeah I just noticed how it looked. Not that I have anything against lesbians rabbit lesbians, could there be anything cuter??
I'm going to phone the vet first thing in the morning then, thanks!

No prob.

#5 Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Seems like a good situation, really!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Weeeell, my Lola likes to hump things, and she's a girl. But then again, she's a 100 pound dog, not a bunny. I really have no constructive advice, just commiseration.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#7 Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

My gal bun Basil harasses my two boy buns all the time. No need to worry too much.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#8 Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

deleted

#9 Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yeah, it's a good idea to have them checked by a vet! If they were young when you got them, one could have been a boy but the testicles hadn't dropped yet. (They can also pull them up somewhat if they're stressed!) My foster bunny was thought for awhile to be a girl, because there were no testicles, but then we discovered that Chloe was really Cody, who had been neutered already!

Another possibility is that they ARE both girls. Again, if they were young and are maturing now, hormones are starting to kick in. This can mean trouble, because in rabbits the females are the territorial ones. It's not impossible to bond two females, but it can be more work. If they are starting to get hormonal/territorial, they could get aggressive and the bond might break. Think teenage girls: It can be love or hate! If they are otherwise happy with each other, it's possible they can stay bonded. Sometimes it means keeping them separated for awhile if things get too aggressive, then re-bonding them after they're both spayed. Other times, there might be no extra work needed, it just depends on the bunnies and their relationship with each other.

If the are older/past the teenage stage, they could just be settling in to their new home and re-establishing their roles:
Humping is frequently a dominance display. The one doing the humping is showing that (s)he is dominant. If the other one doesn't mind so much, it's no big deal. My pair have been together (and spayed/neutered) for 4 years, and there is still humping. He tries to hump her, she runs away, then after awhile they're grooming and snuggling again. They're just letting each other know what's going on.

Your avatar makes me want a bunny so bad!

#10 Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

deleted
#11 Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

LOL! She's cute, but she bites and scratches!

(But she's very small, so it doesn't hurt much.)

She's adorable, it looks like she's wearing eyeliner. My wiener dog, Libby, has that on one of her eyes, we joke that she didn't finish putting on her make up.

#12 Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Tom
Beginner

Rabbitluvr is right: boy bunnies can be hard to sex, and female rabbits sometimes hump as a dominance display. I'm not sure about two girls being harder to keep together, though... intact male rabbits can fight savagely! My two boys got along much better after they were neutered. But even then, they each had their own cage.

Here's hoping that they are in fact the same sex, and don't give you a brood of little rabbits (cute though that would be). They're getting along most of the time and only scuffle occasionally, so that's a good sign. You might want to give them separate cages though, when they're not out of the cage playing.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#13 Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

deleted
#14 Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Beginner

That's right, it is more likely a domination thing. My Dobby still humps his mate from time to time, to tell her who is the boss around here lol. but they always end up grooming and snuggling with each other after.

But to be double sure, get a second opinion on the sex. I had a bunny before I got these two, who I thought was Jasmine, but turned out to be a Jasper. Are you sure that the vet you went to are bunny savy? make sure you have a bunny savy vet, its very important to trust and have a vet that knows all about bunnies's system.

good luck.
#15 Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Like others said definitely check with your vet. I know it's hard to sex young rabbits, and I've had difficulty with very stressed rabbits as well. I drove my friends crazy when I was fostering a group of baby rabbits and trying to sex them. Apparently it is not appropriate behaviour to ask your guests to stare at a rabbit's genitals and compare them to photos. Who knew?

I previously had two males and I bonded them as adults. It was work to say the least, they were very territorial at first. I had almost given up when they finally bonded. It was worth it in the end to see them spend years cuddling and grooming each other. When I'm ready for more rabbits I'm going to adopt a bonded pair to save myself the stress. My local rescue senses weakness, the last time I was there the rescue lady was tempting me with a wonderful little dwarf who shamelessly begged for nose rubs. She offered to sneak him and his partner into my car when my fiancé wasn't looking
#16 Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroythenight View Post

rabbit lesbians, could there be anything cuter??

I started laughing when I saw that and am still laughing as I type this.

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#17 Old 01-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzdobbel8610 View Post

Are you sure that the vet you went to are bunny savy? make sure you have a bunny savy vet, its very important to trust and have a vet that knows all about bunnies's system.

Yeah, here is a list of bun vets for reference:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_EU-UK.html

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#18 Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Beginner

My old lop-eared bunny, Viola (nichnamed 'Lola') used to try to get frisky with the cats when we let her out of her cage. Mum was convinced she was a he but I don't think so. I think that was just how she expressed her frustration, as it were. My mum's neighbor used to breed dachshunds and females in heat would mount each other from time to time. I doubt it means anything.
#19 Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Yay for Lesbunnians!

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Lesbunnians. Oh god. that kills me with cuteness.

Thank you everyone for your advice. My vet is reknowned for being a top bunny vet in Scotland, which is why I chose her. She sexed the bunnies at around 8 months of age (cant be sure as they were rescue bunnies so no idea when they were born!) and said they were both girls, so I should really take her word for it. I think I just panicked at the prospect of more bunnies!! Hopefully once I get them spayed the humping will calm down a bit

#21 Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

deleted
#22 Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Beginner

My sister's last pair were a boy and a girl from the same litter who grew up together. Even after being spayed/neutered, the girlie would sometimes hump her brother, but he never tried to hump her. Those two weren't the least bit territorial, though, and they never fought for dominance in any way. We just accepted it as one more thing they occasionally did to show affection for each other, besides normal grooming and stuff. Given their romantic relationship as siblings, we often thought we should have named them Zeus and Hera, or maybe Luke and Leia.

--Fromper
#23 Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Beginner

Heya, I haven't read the whole thread but I had two female rabbits when I was growing up, and one of them sometimes tried to mount the other (she was deaf and a bit of a bully! She used to make my other bunny wait untill she had eaten dinner before the other bunny could eat!), even after they'd both been spayed. She also used to have phantom pregnancies where she'd make a nest from straw and her fur in the spring.

So don't worry, it's normal! If your vets a good vet and says they're female, they're probally just getting frisky and confused! It deffinatly doesn't mean one's a male, as mine did it quite frequently and they were deffinatly both girls. (You can also check their sex for yourself if you're really worried, although they might be too young for you to really tell, it might put your mine at rest to see two...yknow..bunny vaginas!).
#24 Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Beginner

we've has 2 huskies (juno has passed on now) and they used to hump when they were pups and going into heat so prob normal for bunnies!
#25 Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Beginner

again, thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it and definitely helping set my mind at ease! if only i could check their little bunny bits, but the second i attempt to lift them they go crazy, either running, jumping, scratching or biting (not proper bites, but wee bunny nips, enough to say "oi! hands off!")

other than lola mounting daisy, they definitely tolerate and love each other. they are always grooming each other, licking each others ears, shucks. tbh i only ever see lola mount daisy when she's feeling particularly frisky, which is usually when ive been playing with them. when we play, lola gets all hyper, binkies about like there's no tomorrow, then proceeds to mount daisy. it's actually kinda cute ^^

ive noticed that if i put my hands firmly on lola's shoulders/back, whether she's 'frisky' or not, she sort of 'submits', as in she'll stop in her tracks and lay down and let me give her a wee pet; maybe she accepts me as dominant, but she is trying to fight for status as dominant bun by mounting daisy? just a thought!

Lola-black rex & Daisy-white lop. Crap quality pic, but it shows how they are good buddies, and also how Lola is that bit more dominant. Not that Daisy is complaining, she loves getting her ears cleaned for her ^^ she sticks her head right under Lola's chin whenever Lola starts cleaning herself, like, "dude, bathtime for me first!"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page