Help, my cat is pooping everywhere! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM

My previously litterbox trained cat is now pooping all over the house, there is nothing medically wrong with him, the litterbox is in a nice quiet place, I scoop it at least once a day, I have no idea whats wrong with him! (he is peeing everywhere also) I can't have him doing this in a rental house! Is there anything I can do? Oh i've tried ComfortZone to, that had no effect.

ETA: we took him to the vet, he's fine. he is mainly going on rugs and cloths
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Is he stressed out? Have you done something recently to piss him off? Has your schedule changed? My best advice, I think, is to keep clothes off the floor and pull up the rugs until you figure out why he is doing this.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

You did not mention if you have more than one cat.
If you do, add another litter box. some cats suddenly will refuse to share.
problem solved.

As always, Im here to help.
#4 Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM

there's a reason the cat is doing this. it may not be apparent and it's your job to figure it out
how does the poop look? is it the same consistency and color as usual?
has anything changed in your house in the past few month? redecorating, moved litterbox, some living creature moving in or out, different cat food or litter, any new furniture, etc.
have you been spending less time with the cat?
does he always do it or only at certain times? is it possible that his litter box is not clean enough for him? does he use it when you first change the litter but then stop or is it independent of the cleaning schedule?
how old is the cat? if he's older could he have arthritis or something similar?
what did the vet check for?
#5 Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 AM

My basement dweller's cat was peeing everywhere. He shut the cat up in the bathroom for almost a week with a litter box and it seems to have broken him of the habit. (Tile floor). He also got a couple more litter boxes.

*dog person*
#6 Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM

My little cat Sir Didymus had an upset belly one day and was barfing and barfing and had a leaky bum. We brought him to the ER, they gave him some fluids and belly meds and send us home. The next day he was fine, except that his poor kitty bum was quite literally licked raw to the point of bleeding. A few days later, a random turd on the step. Weird, cleaned it up. Next day, a few random turds in the hall. Again, weird, cleaned it up. Next morning? Pile of turds on the floor in the living room. NOT COOL GUYS!! I figured it was Did cause he'd just been ill, and one day I caught him in the act. We have 3 cats and already had 4 litter boxes; 3 in the basement, one on the second floor. We ended up adding a FIFTH box in the first floor bathroom (it just barely fit) and used different litter in it, and the poops stopped. I don't know if he couldn't make it, or if he was associating the litter box with kitty bum pain, or the litter was irritating his already irritated bum, but he was happy with box #5. We left it upstairs for a while, then moved it to the basement (it was REALLY in an inconvenient location on the first floor) and he's not pooped on the floor since.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Have you moved the litterbox or changed the type of litter recently, or had any moving of furniture or other commotion in the house? Any of these things may cause a cat to go outside the litterbox. Cats don't deal with change very well. :P

Since you took your cat to the vet and ruled out any medical issues, I'd say adding another litterbox may help. I've heard that you should have two litterboxes for every cat you have, and in different locations around the house. Try putting it in a semi-secluded area near where your cat has been pooping. Also, an herbal stress reducer such as Feliway or Rescue Remedy may help if it is behavioral.

Have you noticed any other behavioral changes in your cat at all?

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#8 Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 PM

any updates? has anyone here said anything useful?
#9 Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post

My previously litterbox trained cat is now pooping all over the house, there is nothing medically wrong with him, the litterbox is in a nice quiet place, I scoop it at least once a day, I have no idea whats wrong with him! (he is peeing everywhere also) I can't have him doing this in a rental house! Is there anything I can do? Oh i've tried ComfortZone to, that had no effect.

ETA: we took him to the vet, he's fine. he is mainly going on rugs and cloths

Really, we need more info if the suggestions haven't worked out.

My first question is what did the vet check for? Urinalysis and bloodwork would be a minimum for my comfort. Are there any pain issues? How's mobility? Any changes in diet or environment?

Like others have suggested Feliway can be quite helpful. Also, adding more litterboxes and varying the type and size of the box as well as the litter type. Sometimes cats can develop an aversion to a particular type of litter. For example, Simon won't use anything pelleted like Yesterdays News or Feline Pine. When I had Mia she wouldn't use World's Best after she had a UTI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page