Natural remedy for cat's asthma? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Does anyone have any experience using any kind of natural remedies to treat asthma in cats? My friend's cat has been getting alot of asthma attacks lately, and she really hates giving her regular medicines (which don't seem to be helping much anyway). One vet told her that natural remedies don't work for asthma, but I was hoping there's something out there that can help her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Beginner

number one tell her to switch to a non-clay litter. even ones that say dust free have a lot of dust. it can make healthy cats sick and if the cat already has asthma i hate to think what it could do.

alternatives are the crystals (never tried them, they're expensive), swheat scoop (made from wheat, better but still has some dust because it's so fine. nontoxic though) and the ones made from recycled newspaper (this is what i always recommend, it's cheap and no dust)

if she uses a litter box with a lid, get her to take the lid off. ammonia can build up in a litter box and cause respiratory problems. better without a lid so the poor kitty can breath while 'going'.

also if the house is generally dusty an air purifier or some filters can work wonders. if she has a furnace or forced air heat or whatever and there are cold air registers, you can buy this blue filter sheeting that's like $3 a roll, cut pieces to fit and stick them on the inside of the registers. keeps a lot of dust from coming through and it's cheap. just have to replace it every few months. this will cut down on dusting around the house too, which is a plus.

they could also set up a humidifier if they have one, and try to avoid anything smoky or perfumy in the house, don't use harsh cleaners around the cat etc.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 01-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Beginner

Thank you....I'll pass your advice along.
#4 Old 02-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Beginner

no problemo they may find just changing litter makes a big difference. my poor guy got a respiratory infection from the clumping clay stuff, the vet said it was something they catch from other cats but he's an indoor only. i was confused but took the antibiotics he suggested and gave them to the Moo but they made no difference whatsoever, he was still coughing and rasping. he'd wheeze when he jumped or ran, i started to think asthma but read a website about clay litters that was really scary. i changed to swheat scoop and right away his coughing cleared up and my own allergies weren't quite as bad. i much prefer yesterday's news though which i switched to later cause it's cheaper and easier to find. it doesn't track as badly, it's in pellets, though he somehow manages to kick a few out now and then

now i know when the house needs a good dusting cause he starts coughing and his eyes get watery. usually means he went exploring in a spot of the house we don't use much lol. for that reason i keep the laundry room off limits cause it's a dusty unfinished part of the basement

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page