Feeding Corn To Birds And Squirrels - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Some of the fresh corn I was given was not so fresh. The kernels are a bit dried and shriveled. I was thinking of scraping them off and scattering them under the trees for the birds and squirrels, but want to make sure this is safe. I was worried about the corn swelling inside their stomachs or the like. Would it be OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Beginner

In my non-professional opinion, it's fine. I've seen dried corn in many mixes of food for birds (both wild and companion birds), and all the small animal treats for rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, etc. And I figure dried anything has a bigger risk of swelling than fresh, so I'd say you're good to go! (Dry rice is what's bad for small animals, because it swells SO much.)

I will caution, though, if you begin feeding wild birds, it's not a good idea to do so sporadically. If you decide to feed birds, you should KEEP feeding birds because they will begin to rely on you as a food source. I don't know that one time is a big deal (and maybe you keep birdfeeders anyway!) but... Yeah. There you go, my totally unreliable opinion.
#3 Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Good thinking. They gather under a big tree in the yard across the street early every morning, so I could go over and sprinkle all of it there. Thanks, Semi.
#4 Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Beginner

i throw leftover, old corn cobs in my yard and the deer eat them up. Better that than all of my flowers, roses, veggie garden, etc. (LOL). They sure are beautiful, but i want to wring their little necks sometimes. All of my daylilies right now look like I am growing green sticks (I still would always pick the deer over the flowers. They were here first).

Laura
#5 Old 06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Beginner

I remember my grandma having the same problem, Laura.
#6 Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Sally as smelly as it might be , you could also boil some of your left over corn , birds will just pick it off the cob....all the bird life around here love it ....
#7 Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Beginner

That would be easier. I'll do that. Thanks, bluesand. Love your avatar by the way.
#8 Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Birds frequently raid corn patches on farms and in gardens.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page