VeggieBoards banner

Does anyone elses dog like their butt scratched?

28K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  dwheadrick 
#1 ·
I have an austrailan cattle dog/border collie and she LOVES her butt scratched. Is this normal for dogs?

#4 ·
My dog, too. She loves the spot just above her tail to be scratched. She'll stick out her neck and lick her lips when you do it...lol. I think it's because it's kinda a hard spot for her to reach herself.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

OK you guys are thinking about 'hindquarters' and not 'butt'. I was a bit worried about Adamthebassist scratching there anyway
ACK!! no no no Keep the mind above the tail...lol

Mine parks in front of me all the time and looks over the shoulder at me. I try to explain to him that's not the end I want to pet. He'll turn around briefly to let me pet his head but then resume the origional position and wait. It's just wrong.

#8 ·
Toby, the lab mix, just puts his butt up against oe of our feet or legs and rubs himself back and forth if we don't obey his command to scratch.

I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't enjoy having his butt scratched; some are just more insistent than others.

#9 ·
One of my dogs loves to be scratched up and down his spine. He's this huge dog and if I do it, he drops to the floor like a rag doll and stretches out. My other dog loves the rump and both love their necks scratched just near the shoulder.

Look on some sites about therapeutic massage' for dogs and seriously, they will love you for it. I'm not sure if I'm doing them as good as a professional but I'm doing it the best I can and they seem to love their sessions.

#10 ·
Quote:
My dog, too. She loves the spot just above her tail to be scratched. She'll stick out her neck and lick her lips when you do it...lol. I think it's because it's kinda a hard spot for her to reach herself.
Come to think of it, I like scratching the lower part of my back before my bum kinda like before where a tail would be if I was a dog or cat LOL

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Come to think of it, I like scratching the lower part of my back before my bum kinda like before where a tail would be if I was a dog or cat LOL
I totally agree. Massages in that area feel amazing as well. Maybe it's a part of general mammal anatomy that just likes to be petted/scratched/massaged, whatever, for whatever reason.

The cats that lived with me enjoyed being scratched there as well.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I guess I have a weird dog because mine isn't fond of having her butt scratched. She loves to get petted and scratched but not so much near her tail. She'll also lick the hell outta me when I pet her. She is an obsessive licker.
that is not normal, the only dogs I have met that don't like getting a good butt scratch have some kind of pain issue..... granted your's could just not like it, but that would not be my first guess.

#20 ·
I also have a cattle dog. All three of mine scratched there back end and her togue comes out when i scrtch her butt. In your case try sqeeze the anal glands. If that dont worg. put a little olive oil n her food , that but the oils back in the skin. Or aliierges of the food

#24 ·
My English Labrador does the exact same thing. He does have thyroid condition and takes a pill twice a day. When I first noticed it, he had a lot of flaking...but no sores...He did get sore on his ttail later but it is healed, and fur grew back. He constantly wants me to scratch him right where his tail attaches his rump. He will do the licking too...seems to really really enjoy it :). I am trying anti itch shampoo and may try the oatmeal one too....let ya know if I find something that works :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.