Looking for a good vegan cheese! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Beginner

I've been a vegetarian for a number of years now and have always eaten about a 50% vegan diet. I find myself wanting more and more to move away from dairy cheese's but haven't found any good alternatives. I've tried soy based cheese alternatives and they just don't cut it for me. Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Yes, "Follow Your Heart" Vegan Cheddar is the only one I like. Everything else I've tried has been the stuff of nightmares and a lot of them also contain casein (derived from milk).

We are all copies of the same machine. 

#3 Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

I'm not kidding but the best way to enjoy non-dairy cheeses is to give up dairy cheeses for a year or so and then try a vegan cheese as a slight addition to a regular dish that you like. Almost like using cheese as a flavouring as opposed to a food item.

I do enjoy a few vegan cheeses but they will not compare with a dairy cheese in a side by side taste test. By not eating cheese for a year your body will start to adjust to the joys of a dairy free lifestyle and you'll soon not miss cheese at all. Then, you can start adding a bit of vegan cheese into your favourite foods and really enjoy the best of both worlds.
#4 Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Beginner

I agree with MrFalafel. For one thing, I've gotten over the desire for the taste of cheese, so I don't really need to search for an alternative. I do however, love vegan mac and cheese. It doesn't really taste like the real thing (is Kraft real?) but I love it. I don't think I'd like it if I still ate real cheese though.
#5 Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Beginner

In which aisle is the Follow Your Heart typically found?
#6 Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Beginner

Teese...google it..you'll love it.
#7 Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Vegan Gourmet mozzerella is my favorite. I freeze it first then thaw, press out the moisture...it changes the texture a bit (just like with frozen tofu). I can eat it plain, just like that and actually enjoy it.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#8 Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Beginner

I usually get rice slices. They're made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods. I've only had the american flavor, though. I don't like them cold, but I think they're yummy for grilled cheese sandwiches and on veg burgers. My bro got me a block of vegan cheese one time, I think it was Vegan Gourmet Cheddar, but it was kind of stubborn to cut up and everything, when melted it was pretty good though.
#9 Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Beginner

I've had teese and I thought it was absolutely the most disgusting thing that I have ever eaten. Did it taste like cheese? Well, maybe cheese that expired and then was left out in the sun.

I do like the "cheese" that tofutti puts on it's pizza, although I'm not sure if they sell just the "cheese".

In January I was at a restaurant that served me fried tofu, which tasted EXACTLY like mozzarella cheese....it was the weirdest thing. I have yet to be able to replicate the taste, but I've come close!
#10 Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillyVegan View Post

I've had teese and I thought it was absolutely the most disgusting thing that I have ever eaten. Did it taste like cheese? Well, maybe cheese that expired and then was left out in the sun.

I do like the "cheese" that tofutti puts on it's pizza, although I'm not sure if they sell just the "cheese".

In January I was at a restaurant that served me fried tofu, which tasted EXACTLY like mozzarella cheese....it was the weirdest thing. I have yet to be able to replicate the taste, but I've come close!

I feel bad for you, Teese has been nothing but good to me!
#11 Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Beginner

It seems like vegan cheese is so personal. One person loves a brand that another person is repulsed by. I guess you have to just try it until you find one you like.
#12 Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Beginner

Picked up some Follow Your Heart last night. Can't wait to try it!
#13 Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

It seems like vegan cheese is so personal. One person loves a brand that another person is repulsed by. I guess you have to just try it until you find one you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Vegan Gourmet mozzerella is my favorite.

Me too.
#14 Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

hah, yeah I had to go through some borderline traumatic experiences before finding mine.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

#15 Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Vegan Gourmet mozzerella is my favorite. I freeze it first then thaw, press out the moisture...it changes the texture a bit (just like with frozen tofu). I can eat it plain, just like that and actually enjoy it.

I never realized the texture would change like that once frozen. I eat it plain without freezing it but I'm going to try freezing it first.
#16 Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Beginner

the only vegan cheese I've been impressed with is the mock nacho cheese sauce adapted from "Punkmommy's cheese sauce" or something like that.

Google that and you'll be sure to get the recipe. I add lemon juice to taste and it definitely gets the mixture away from 'cardboard' and up and over to 'movie theater nacho sauce'-- which some think is nasty but I love(d) it

Follow Your Heart was alright when I tried it. I had some spicy flavor and put it on enchiladas and it wasn't that bad. Might have been that way because there was so much else going on in those enchiladas though.
#17 Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I never realized the texture would change like that once frozen. I eat it plain without freezing it but I'm going to try freezing it first.

It was quite by accident...I had some that I wasn't using up so I tried freezing it because I didn't want to waste it. When I thawed it out I saw that it was very watery, which is when I decided to press out the moisture and voila'! I liked it so much better that way that I freeze it all the time now.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#18 Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Beginner

What should I try the Follow Your Heart cheddar on first?
#19 Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Beginner

i actually liked soy feta quite a bit, though this was after quite a while of not having the real thing.. i agree with others when they say that's key. (I may be l/o now but I still dont eat dairy cheese..)
#20 Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Pizza Fusion has a good one that they use on their pizzas, but I haven't been able to replicate that at home with any store-bought brands. Nothing I've tried seems to melt right...it either dries up and toasts like coconut or else it just gets oily and limp.
#21 Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

What should I try the Follow Your Heart cheddar on first?

I like it in mac n cheese. Cut it up in pieces and throw it in a saucepan with a little bit of water (start with a small amount and keep adding until you get the consistency you want). Heat it until it melts. Pour over cooked pasta in a baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and nutritional yeast. (I also mix some nut yeast in with the melted cheese). Bake at 350 until the top is crispy.

It's also ok when it's premelted (with as little water as possible) and poured over a pizza before cooking.

Other than that I'm not so crazy about the stuff.
#22 Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

So I tried the mac n'cheese. It was okay. Is there another brand you prefer?
#23 Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Beginner

It really depends on what you're looking for. I could never see another vegan 'cheese' again and be quite happy

Tofutti is decent melted on grilled cheese. Sheese is ok to eat straight out of the package in small amounts (I tried it on a veggie burger too and it was ok). My hubby likes the feta kind, I forget the brand now.

How long has it been since you've had dairy cheese? I'd recommend waiting at least 6 months before trying vegan cheeses seriously. Cheese releases opiates and yes they're physically addicting. It makes you feel good to eat it. Do you know anybody who doesn't like cheese? (You can say the same for chocolate, it also has a chemical effect but I forget the specifics right now). No vegan cheese can give you that same effect, that's why a lot of people recently off cheese don't like the vegan cheeses.

I find them more tolerable now than I did a month after giving up dairy. I still could live without them quite easily and just use them mostly cause hubby likes them.
#24 Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Evil cheese.
#25 Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Indeed. I used to eat sooo much cheese I couldn't imagine a life without it. But it's been several years since I've had it and I can't imagine eating it now! It's kinda weird how that happens
#26 Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Do you know anybody who doesn't like cheese?

My mom hates cheese. I've never understood it.

Now, chocolate, I can take it or leave it. It's okay and I like it now and then, but I've never been a big fan. My mom used to be a chocoholic, but she stopped eating it a while back (in an effort to lose weight).

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#27 Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Do you know anybody who doesn't like cheese? (You can say the same for chocolate, it also has a chemical effect but I forget the specifics right now).

I hate both

And have for a very long time. They both made me fill ill shortly after eating them. They both tasted like barf to me as well, but I may just be an odd one :P

Oh, and sorry to hijack, but where do you find these cheeses? I'm pretty limited in my store choices nearby, but there are TJ and HF a ways away I wouldn't mind frequenting every now and then if they had a yummy vegan cheese to use on pizza and nachos(the only way I've every liked cheese).
#28 Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

My mom hates cheese. I've never understood it.

Now, chocolate, I can take it or leave it. It's okay and I like it now and then, but I've never been a big fan. My mom used to be a chocoholic, but she stopped eating it a while back (in an effort to lose weight).

I do like chocolate but I don't crave it like some people do. But there are definitely chemical 'feel good' reactions that occur when it's eaten that hook a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Love View Post

I hate both

And have for a very long time. They both made me fill ill shortly after eating them. They both tasted like barf to me as well, but I may just be an odd one :P

Oh, and sorry to hijack, but where do you find these cheeses? I'm pretty limited in my store choices nearby, but there are TJ and HF a ways away I wouldn't mind frequenting every now and then if they had a yummy vegan cheese to use on pizza and nachos(the only way I've every liked cheese).

Oh there are people who don't like cheese but they are rare More commonly you have people who love it or like it or enjoy it but don't think it's a big deal, or people who like it in only certain instances, such as yourself.

The Vegan Gourmet makes a nacho flavor but I haven't tried it. Might be interesting (or not)

Check out the refrigerated section for it. If you can't find it, ask for it, and if they don't have it you can request that they order it in (you could always call first if they are quite a ways away)
#29 Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Indeed. I used to eat sooo much cheese I couldn't imagine a life without it. But it's been several years since I've had it and I can't imagine eating it now! It's kinda weird how that happens

Congrats! I will one day be in that position, too.
#30 Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
.bf
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

I usually get rice slices. They're made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods. I've only had the american flavor, though. I don't like them cold, but I think they're yummy for grilled cheese sandwiches and on veg burgers.

I'm not sure about the American, but the Mozzarella flavor is not vegan. It has casein.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page