Trader Joe's Reduced Fat Mayo - Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Beginner

So after years of nayonaise and veganaise, we just couldn't take it anymore and I broke down and bought a jar of regular mayo at Trader Joe's. (we're vegetarian, so it wasn't a huge deal to us, but we try to avoid eggs)

I just looked at the now empty jar, and it's vegan! Someone can confirm by looking at the ingredients - I'm not an expert on the hidden non vegan ingredients.

Trader Joe's Reduced Fat Mayonnaise "eggless" "dairy free"

"Ingredients: Water, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Corn Starch, Distilled Vinegar, Cider Vinegar, Soy Protein Isolate, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion Powder, Xantahn Gum, Natural Vitamin E, Natural Flavors, Oleoresin Paprika, Oleoresin Tumeric."

I checked out Oleoresin and it's just a type of concentrate....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanew View Post

So after years of nayonaise and veganaise, we just couldn't take it anymore

What exactly could you "not take"?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

WOOHOO! we don't have a trader bo's here though. you're lucky.
#4 Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Beginner

The ingredients don't look altogether too different from that of Vegenaise...does it somehow taste radically different???
#5 Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure what we stopped liking. At first I loved veganaise and thought it was great, better than mayo even, but there was something about it after years and years that my husband and I would just stare at each other, stare at the jar and make a squishy face And I didn't like it in dips very much, although it was okay on sandwiches.

I really was a big fan and recommended it to everyone I know, but I guess we just grew apart?
#6 Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

The ingredients don't look altogether too different from that of Vegenaise...does it somehow taste radically different???

Yes, it's reduced fat and tastes like sour, gelatinous paste.

Vegenaise =

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

Somehow, it does to me and to my husband. It definitely smells like mayo, which I never thought veganaise did.

It could all be in my head, but it is cheaper!
#8 Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Vegenaise =

#9 Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Beginner

I tried the TJ's reduced fat mayo too, mostly out of curiosity. It's been sitting in my fridge for months now. I can't throw anything away so I'll finish it, somehow, but I definitely won't be buying it again. It has a very funky taste to it. "Gelatinous paste" is a pretty good description.

I've tried a few vegan mayos: Nayonaise, Spectrum brand and Veganaise. I'm sticking with Veganaise from here on out. That stuff is awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page