Fast Food Chains French Fries - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Up until recently I believed that most major fast food chains had switched to corn oil or vegetable oil to cook their french fries. Last night I left the dance to go to McDonalds with some friends to get something to eat. One of my friends, who knows I'm a vegetarian, informed me that the fries I bought were cooked in animal fat and I was really upset. I just really would like it if people could tell me what they knew about which fast food chains do and which don't have vegetarian fries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM

That is truly gross. Even worse is the slow rate at which most chains change the oil. I think you are getting what you pay for when you eat fast food. Yuck.
#3 Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM

McDonald's french fries aren't vegetarian regardless of the oil they're cooked in. They have beef extract for flavoring. As for the oil... I don't know about McDonald's, but most chains have a separate deep fryer for their french fries.
#4 Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 AM

You say that they use beef extract in the fries for flavoring? Is this true of most chains?
#5 Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 AM

I'm not 100% sure what fast food places have veg fries. I do know that even if they're supposed to cook them in separate fryers, they don't always do that. I know someone who works at a fast food place, and I asked about their fries, and he said they have a separate one for them, but if they need to, they'll stick chicken and stuff in there.
#6 Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Most fast food restaurants use either beef or chicken extracts (McDonald's does use beef) for flavoring. Most restaurants use soybean oil to fry French fries. However, every individual store can decide if it wants to fry other things with the fries. Most places have a generic rule to fry fries by themselves, but I don't think this is strictly enforced.

You can ask the staff, but most of them are minimum wage and don't give a crap. I wouldn't trust them. Generally, it would be best if you ate somewhere else. Or eat something that is healthier. McDonald's does offer a vegan-friendly side salad.

Myself, I look at the whole menu to determine if the fries might be vegan-friendly. If there are no other deep-fried meats (chicken nuggets, buffalo wings, etc), then they probably have nothing else to fry with the fries. So far, there is only one such place (a crappy sub place called Penn Station) that does not offer anything else that can be fried in their oil, so when I go there, I can eat their fries. Salad and fries. What a great meal.
#7 Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

you can look at the ingredients on their website. american mcdonalds fries do have a beef extract flavouring in their fries. british mcdonalds fries don't. canadian mcdonalds fries seem to be newly beef-free too.

i recall burgerking fries being ok last time i looked.
#8 Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM

This was years ago but when I worked at McDonalds in high school although they have seperate baskets for fries and the chicken nuggets they were all fried in the same oil. They had seperate timers for them but it was the same oil. Similar to the veggie burgers being cook on the same grill they cook hamburger on. Your best option would to get something that is prepackaged like the salads at least when it comes to McDonalds.
#9 Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJccc4Life View Post

...Similar to the veggie burgers being cook on the same grill they cook hamburger on...

That's terrible! Hehe, Burger King just nukes their veggie burgers in the microwave. This confirmed to me by a family member that has worked for BK for years now.
#10 Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Yes I know McDonalds does not have vegetarian french frie. Im glad I never eat there but thats ridiculous. apprently alot of vegetarians and vegans sued because they lied and said they were vegetarian so now they have to tell you if you ask about them..

Personally I think its sick and makes it hard to trust these damn companys... ugh
#11 Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Also not to mention that a large order of McDonalds fries has 8g of trans fats! YUM!

*gets heart attack from eating potatoes (oh wait they aren't even potatoes)*

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM

While BK's fries seem to be fine, and their website insists they have a dedicated fryer for them... Wendy's on the other hand...

From Wendy's website:

"Please Note: French fries may be fried in same oil as fish fillets, french toast sticks, chicken nuggets, and crispy chicken patty."

Not that many of us are too interested in eating at Wendy's anyways especially after the "meatitarian" crap.
#13 Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Not that many of us are too interested in eating at Wendy's anyways especially after the "meatitarian" crap.

My co-worker thought it was funny to tell me about that new Wendy's commercial and then went on to tell me that she was a meatitarian. She thought it was so funny. I found the commercial to be quite lame. Not that I don't have a sense of humor, but it just wasn't funny.
#14 Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:

While BK's fries seem to be fine, and their website insists they have a dedicated fryer for them... Wendy's on the other hand...

From Wendy's website:

"Please Note: French fries may be fried in same oil as fish fillets, french toast sticks, chicken nuggets, and crispy chicken patty."

I didn't know that about Wendy's. Not that I've eaten there since going veg, but thanks for the warning. I'll stick to Burger King and Subway on the occasions that I need to eat fast food (usually only while traveling).

--Fromper

#15 Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM

In-n-Out fries are vegan and the fries are the only things they cook in the fryer. They don't have a veggie burger but they'll gladly make you a sandwich with everything but the meat and subtract the price of the hamburger patty from the price.
#16 Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...stFoodRest.htm

It has lists of popular fast food chains with information regarding the food they sell. Whether it is vegetarian safe, vegan safe, or not safe for either.

And I also came across this through the website: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/737024543

I joined Care2 a while ago, and have been signing petitions on there for a quite some time. I'm glad they submitted it.

It would make it just so much easier for us vegetarians and vegans if companies would just label their food products safe or not. *sigh*

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#17 Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Why would you be eating fast food in the first place?

veganGO - http://www.vegango.com/
A forum for vegan activists.
#18 Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyLilMuffin View Post

You say that they use beef extract in the fries for flavoring? Is this true of most chains?

No, just Mickey Icks!

Regardless, I make my own french fries, to ensure 100% healthiness and vegan-ness!
#19 Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 PM

I dont really eat at these places but thanx for the info
#20 Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM

I just looked on the Canadian Mcdonald's website and it looks as though the french fries are vegetarian. The natural flavouring is listed as coming from a vegetable source.
#21 Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

In-n-Out fries are vegan and the fries are the only things they cook in the fryer. They don't have a veggie burger but they'll gladly make you a sandwich with everything but the meat and subtract the price of the hamburger patty from the price.

So many people are In-n-out deprived I eat INO 3 times a week at least, I'm so over it

If anyone is ever on vacation in California, stop by In-n-out for some fresh fries!
#22 Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM

There's an In-n-Out in my neighborhood in Arizona. I go right past it twice a day and it takes every ounce of willpower I have to not stop in for fries.

And my husband has 2 $10 In-n-Out gift cards in his wallet. He's managed to resist the temptation as well.
#23 Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

There are only a small handful of INO's outside of Cali. As you know, they're everywhere here I LOVE animal fries, but at 800 calories or so, they're evil
#24 Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyLilMuffin View Post

No. McDonalds (in the US) started spraying their fries with beef fat when they switched over to vegetable oil. They're the only company that I know of that does that.

Thankfully I never liked McDonalds fries. Wendy's on the other hand... Homemade fries are great too - baked or fried. If you get a craving maybe you could try making your own.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#25 Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

I haven't been to a wendys since I stopped eating meat. Their fries were pretty good though. Especially when they're hot and salty. No In-n-Out (which is worth going to JUST for the fries) but still pretty good.
#26 Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 AM

Dairy Queen is terrible about frying them in the same oil as fish and chicken.

I found out the hard way last week >_>

Most places will tell you that they're not "supposed" to fry them in the same oil, but they have "no way" of monitoring it and can't guarantee this. I don't eat fast food much anyway, and probably won't be eating it for a very long time after what happened. In fact, it was the first time I'd eaten fast food in about five months or so.
#27 Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:

From Wendy's website:

Mmmmm....fishy french toast sticks.

Quote:

That's terrible! Hehe, Burger King just nukes their veggie burgers in the microwave. This confirmed to me by a family member that has worked for BK for years now.

I've eaten fast food once since going veg 4 months ago (at BK)...I had a veggie burger and I don't know what it was...but I was sick for the next 36 hours. Never again.
#28 Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

Does anybody know about Buffalo Wild Wings (yes, I know, how can I go to a place with THAT as its name!)? A big group of us go there on Mondays, and I always just eat beforehand. I am wondering though if the fries there are safe to eat? Highly doubtful I'm sure.

Thanks!!

Jenny
#29 Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigsAndBerries View Post

Does anybody know about Buffalo Wild Wings (yes, I know, how can I go to a place with THAT as its name!)? A big group of us go there on Mondays, and I always just eat beforehand. I am wondering though if the fries there are safe to eat? Highly doubtful I'm sure.

Thanks!!

Jenny

on their website, it says if you email them, they'll send you info. i'd be very specific about what info you want. http://listening.buffalowildwings.com/contact.php

be careful about just asking the server/relying on info from someone else who has asked in the restaurant and taken someones word for it, but not seen proof (company info, the wrapper on the fies bag, etc) - cos i've done that in restaurants, got a 'they're just plain potatoes, in vegetable oil' answer from a waitress, then when i said 'oh, thats great, cos i have allergies' they rapidly disapeared to the kitchen and came back with a more accurate answer.

Quote:
Where can I find Nutritional and Allergen information?

Nutritional and Allergen information can be obtained on all Buffalo Wild Wings menu item by contacting us directly through our web site. Use the Contact Us link and request this information. We will send a PDF version and answer any other BWW dietary question you may have.

#30 Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

Hmmmm, interesting. I will try it and let you know of the results. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page