Galaxy Soymage Vegan Cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Beginner

Wow, I must say, I was very anxious to try this brand when I first saw it at Whole Foods this weekend. I picked up the mozzarella type, and decided to use it today. It's my first real try with fake cheese brands other than some cream cheese substitutes which where very good. I must say, I was really disappointed with this.

First of all, it doesn't melt....at all. Whats the point of mozzarella if you can't melt it? After being heated in an oven, and then another attempt in a microwave, all I got were piles of browned flakes. Even if they still tasted good, I'd possibly get over the melting issues. Unfortunately, the cheese was fairly tasteless. Definately not worth another purchase.

I'm sure I'll use up the rest of it on cold sandwhiches or something, but as I mentioned, I was very disappointed. I've been hearing great things about this "Vegan Gourmet" but apparently it's only sold on the coasts, and I'm from Chicago. Has anyone tried Vegan Gourmet before? Would it be worth ordering online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Soymage cheese is a sorry excuse for a vegan cheese. I would rather eat packing peanuts than the soymage vegan cheese. I do *love* Vegan Gourmet mozzarella, though. It is quite wonderful.
#3 Old 10-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Beginner

Soymage makes a nice vegan Parmesan, but every single other vegan cheese is trash except for Vegan Gourmet. It's the only brand that tastes good, melts well, and works in almost any standard dish.

Maybe if Veggieboards banded together in a multinational protest we could force every chain supermarket to carry this excellent brand. I don't understand why at least every HFS doesn't carry it. Even here is Southern California there is only one store that carries Vegan Gourmet, and every flavor is usually sold out when I go there, so it's obviously extremely popular. I don't bother with cheeze unless I happen to get my hands on some VG.
#4 Old 10-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Beginner

I did forget about soymage's parmesan. It is pretty decent.

I'm the same way, Quizeen. I don't bother with cheese either unless I get some Vegan Gourmet, and it's sold out quite often at my store as well. Come on, Vegan Gourmet, get out to the stores!!
#5 Old 10-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Yeah, the Galaxy stuff is crummy...yuck. I dont bother much, though I bought some of the follow yer heart stuff (VG) and YUM! Its pretty good, melts, etc.

I made a fairly good grilled cheese with it. WEll more like "Nuked Cheez", cuz a microwaved it...I was getting impatient with my stove. It was all gooey and bright orange. Sweet!

THis local restraunt in portland has vegan pizza with the VG mozzarella. I have to try it sometime soon...

Here in Portland, the Co-Ops of which there are 3 caught on about the VG and proudly carry it, so does the vegan grocery, Food Fight! I think I'll make a comment to New Seasons. Cuz I want to be able to buy the stuff, and Food Fight! is kinda out of my way.

I love the Soy Parm! Yum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page