Veggie Max patties @ Subway - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2003, 04:25 AM
Beginner

I'm wondering if anyone has directly talked to Subway (sandwich shop)about this patty in the last year? here's why I ask, it states online in several places (not via Subway themselves) that the veggie max is a "no fat, vegan patty". However, if you go to Subway and look at the PDF (made June 2003) of information on their products, you will see it lists the Veggie Max as having 10mg of cholesterol (which is only found in animal products) and they aren't including mayonnaise or cheese on the sandwich when calculating that amount. Unfortunately the Veggie Max is not listed under the other nutritional information on their page.

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Men...ion/index.aspx

So, I'm lost. I've seen some people discussing this and saying it has eggs. Yuck. I believe it's a Morningstar product, but it's not on their site either. I'd like to know if it's a safe choice or not. Although I rarely get fast food (or even want it), it's nice to know a chain you can find practically anywhere has something you can get when you're in a pinch for time or options. I was excited to find out that the bread was safe. So, I went the other day and got a veggie max with dijon mustard, oregano, oil & vinegar to make up for no mayo. Yum, not bad at all! But if it has eggs... then, not so much.

Thanks in advance, I'll write/call them myself if nobody knows. But I figured I'd ask before going to the trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Beginner

I have no idea, but I just wrote them. It would be great if it was vegan. I'll let you know!
#3 Old 08-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Beginner

They replied really quick! Unfortunately, it's not vegan-

In response to your e-mail the ingredients for the VegiMax are as follows:

Mushrooms, water chestnuts, onions, carrots, green and red bell peppers, black olives, textured vegetable protein (soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten), egg whites, cooked brown rice, rolled oats, corn oil, calcium caseinate, soy sauce (water, soybeans, salt, wheat). Contains 2% or less of the following: onion powder, corn starch, salt, hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat protein, sucrose, soy protein isolate, spices, garlic powder, dextrose, jalopeno pepper powder, and celery extract.
#4 Old 08-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Beginner

#5 Old 08-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Mikie- Thanks for this link. I don't understand what is going on, but ever since the update when I search for things, I turn up nothing relevant. I specifically searched for threads about the veggie max and/or Subway before posting, and didn't find a thing.. grr .

Flower- Thank you for writing them for me. I appreciate that. It sucks they have eggs in them. How stupid. When will places realize if they finally decide to put one measly veg*n item on the menu to please us, it needs to be vegan!! Cover your bases folks. Why would we care about what is in the bread if we're going to turn around and have an egg patty?! Blech. I think I'll write them for good measure and tell them how much us lowly vegans would appreciate a vegan patty instead.

There's a Subway downtown that claimed to have the vegan Field Roast slices available, but they never seemed to have 'em in stock.

That is the 2nd time I've accidently eaten something with eggs (a Moto Bar was the other) this week, picture me not thrilled.
#6 Old 08-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliner View Post

Mikie- Thanks for this link. I don't understand what is going on, but ever since the update when I search for things, I turn up nothing relevant. I specifically searched for threads about the veggie max and/or Subway before posting, and didn't find a thing.. grr .

Feliner, I've had the same problem with searching on VB since the update too! It's very frustrating! Especially because I've searched for things that have definitlely been posted. grrrrr is right!
#7 Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Beginner

THis is the link to nutritional info about the veggie max (referred to on Subway's website as "veggie patty"). It is actually one of the lowest cholesterol foods listed on their menu.

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...tionValues.pdf
#8 Old 09-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Beginner

Dude, this thread is 4 years old.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

They replied really quick! Unfortunately, it's not vegan-

In response to your e-mail the ingredients for the VegiMax are as follows:

Mushrooms, water chestnuts, onions, carrots, green and red bell peppers, black olives, textured vegetable protein (soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten), egg whites, cooked brown rice, rolled oats, corn oil, calcium caseinate, soy sauce (water, soybeans, salt, wheat). Contains 2% or less of the following: onion powder, corn starch, salt, hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat protein, sucrose, soy protein isolate, spices, garlic powder, dextrose, jalopeno pepper powder, and celery extract.

Gardenburger products are pretty big on mushrooms in their patties aren't they?
#10 Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Dude, this thread is 4 years old.

Oh, I didn't even notice the date. Does the age mean I shouldn't have commented? Oops.
#11 Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Beginner

I dont see an issue. The information is still relevant and the newbies can benefit from it.

The calcium caseinate and the egg whites are a dead giveaway: its Morningstar Farms. Of all the faux meat patties out there, Morningstar Farms is definitely the least offensive, with exception of Boca Burger Original, which is unquestionably vegan. Unfortunately, I havent been able to find any major chain restaurant which offers it. Morningstar Farms now uses free-range eggs in all their products, and calcium caseinate is so far removed from milk that its not required to be labeled a dairy product. So while the Morningstar Farm commercial products are not vegan, they are extremely close. Chilis veggie burger is also a MF product which uses the same ingredients as Subways patties.
#12 Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Beginner

It's no biggie, I just thought it abundantly strange for someone's first and only post.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Beginner

the thread IS ALIVE!!!

gardenburger does make a vegan patty too.

and they are not too mushroomy. (thank god)

they even have a portobello patty, which i think is overkill, but, whatever.
#14 Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Beginner

i like the morningstar farms grillers patties.
#15 Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

the thread IS ALIVE!!!

gardenburger does make a vegan patty too.

and they are not too mushroomy. (thank god)

they even have a portobello patty, which i think is overkill, but, whatever.

I love mushrooms, but one roommate is highly allergic to them, so I've got to be careful about buying my foods that he might like as well.
#16 Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Beginner

ha, funny:

I'm a newbie and I was psyched to see these posts in the "new posts" selection as fast food is a big issue for me! My fam can eat at Mcd's, bk, wendys, and so on and I have to eat at the slower places like pizza. But now I know going to subway will give me 2 choices (veg sandwich and veg max thing).
#17 Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineluvr26 View Post

I love mushrooms, but one roommate is highly allergic to them, so I've got to be careful about buying my foods that he might like as well.

oh, i love mushroom as well! but i like them as mushrooms, freshly cooked. i dunno. im particular hee.

or anal.
#18 Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Beginner

I would be careful expecting all Subway's to have the veggie pattie. the ones in my hometown do not, but now that I've moved to cincinnati I can find the veggie pattie at subways here.
#19 Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Beginner

I thought dextrose was an animal ingredient? Or am I thinking something else? I'se confizzled
#20 Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Dextrose is glucosecorn sugar.
#21 Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

I dont see an issue. The information is still relevant and the newbies can benefit from it.

The calcium caseinate and the egg whites are a dead giveaway: its Morningstar Farms. Of all the faux meat patties out there, Morningstar Farms is definitely the least offensive, with exception of Boca Burger Original, which is unquestionably vegan. Unfortunately, I havent been able to find any major chain restaurant which offers it. Morningstar Farms now uses free-range eggs in all their products, and calcium caseinate is so far removed from milk that its not required to be labeled a dairy product. So while the Morningstar Farm commercial products are not vegan, they are extremely close. Chilis veggie burger is also a MF product which uses the same ingredients as Subways patties.

My sister works for Kraft and recently informed me that they have bought out Boca. They aren't produced in the same location but I wonder if they will be one day.
#22 Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Hag
Beginner

Is the brown bread from subway vegan? there isn't any cholestoral so that points to yes, right? (I've been additcted to the veggie subs for many many years now, i would really like to keep eating them as a vegan)
#23 Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Beginner

I have been getting this regularly when I am pinched for time. It is right across the street from work cheap and fast, also much better then the crud at the hospital cafeteria. I was shocked to find out it had so much fat and cholesterol! I am also trying to research who makes it and what is in it. It would be really helpful if we could see the ingredients as well as the nutrition info at restraunts.
#24 Old 01-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Administrator

There's an ingredients list somewhere on this forum if you do a search. I have to leave in a minute otherwise I'd do it. I don't think it's high in fat. If I recall correctly it was like 6 or 7 grams of fat. I'm almost positive it's made by Gardenburger. Hope that helps.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#25 Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Beginner

As a co-owner for Subway restaurant....

Subway uses Morningstar veggie patty and it is NOT vegan. It contains eggs. I would highly recommend a veggie delite on White bread.
#26 Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hag View Post

Is the brown bread from subway vegan? there isn't any cholestoral so that points to yes, right? (I've been additcted to the veggie subs for many many years now, i would really like to keep eating them as a vegan)

White (italian) bread is actually healthier than wheat (brown) bread. White bread has less calories than wheat. Even though wheat has nutritional value, it is not as healthy as far as the carb content. In addition, it is believed that there is a hidden animal by-product in the wheat bread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page