Cups? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone have any recommendations for cups that I can use to bring soy milk or juice with me to work in my lunch box/mini-cooler? I've tried like 6 or 7 stores locally, including supermarkets, Target, Walmart, and even Bed, Bath, and Beyond. From what I can tell, my two choices are a giant $20 thermos that won't fit in my lunch box, or smaller, cheaper cups that are guaranteed to leak or your money back.

I speak from experience on that one - I've bought 3 types of smaller cups. Apparently, "straw hole" is industry slang for "liquid all over your lunch box", and "shaker" cups for mixing protein shakes are meant to shake the water all over your hands.

Anyone know where I can get cups in the 8-16 oz range that are actually airtight? I don't need a straw hole. I just want to be able to remove the lid and drink from it. Whatever happened to the lunch box sized thermos that used to be the standard when I was a kid?

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 AM

What about kiddie ones? youll look really cool. i remember i had the acest one with beauty and the beast on then someone smashed it.
#3 Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Real Tupperware will not leak (in my experience) and has a virtually liquid-tight seal. It is the only thing I will use for liquids that I carry with me (other than bottles with screw-top lids).

Look for Bell tumblers (usually marketed for children) or 16 oz tumblers and order seals separately for them. Or, another idea might be to check out some local 2nd hand stores, they've often got loads of Tupperware products in good condition.

#4 Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 PM

You could use a sigg bottle.
#5 Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM

[attachment=5150:sport bottle.jpg]

In Australia you can get aluminium sports bottles like the above in the places like Target & K-mart, so Im sure they'd have them in Florida somewhere. They start at about 8oz size and go up.

or you could try a camping store, they have all kinds of stuff like that.
LL
#6 Old 02-08-2007, 03:27 PM

I think the OP needs something insulated, folks.

I manage juice with an insulating cover on my Nalgene....
#7 Old 02-08-2007, 04:34 PM

I saw a Nalgene bottle in the store today and thought, "why didn't I think of that?" That's a no brainer - or should be anyway...

#8 Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

No, it really doesn't need to be insulated. My problem is that everything I see in stores is either way too big (sports bottles), or else not air tight. I found another one to try that's a little too big, but I think I can squeeze it in my lunch box (which is fairly big itself, which is what makes this so stupid). If this doesn't work, I'm almost desperate enough to go to Toys R Us and get kiddy cups with Disney characters on them. I'm sure they've got to have something there.

What's a nalgene?

--Fromper

#9 Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM

As Cinnamon Toast said... Tupperwear... REAL Tupperwear brand, won't leak.

Also, my kids use THIS 'Thermos' brand container and have used it every school day this year with no leaks....

Less than 6 inches high, holds 10 ounces. Best lunch box item I've ever purchased!
#10 Old 02-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

You can get different sized Nalgenes. Check some out at www.nalgene-outdoor.com. I have a 16 oz, but they make smaller.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Special note: Nagalene bottles are made by a company which also produces devices for use in animal testing.

Thus, many animal-concerned folks decline to buy them.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM

^^^ thanks. I was about to mention this.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 AM

hijack on Nalgene:

I was berated by folks at Rocky Mountain Animal Defense for having one (I now have a sticker over the logo). THey went through the whole speil aboput Lexan and the plastic also used in labs and that Lexan sells the pellets to a cage maker etc, etc.

So they recommend GSI. So I go look GSI up.

We have one, as my son wanted a RED bottle (nalgene's was pinkish).

It's made in China, of Lexan plastic. Oooookay. So taking the Lexan and shipping it from the US to China, and back makes it all better? IT'S THE SAME MATERIAL.

end hijack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page