• 1 Post By GhostUser

#1 Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 AM

Is boiling the best method?

And what are your favourite brands?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM

I put slits in them and then fry them in a pan with a bit of oil.

My favorite brand is light life jumbo dogs, but we can't get them in Canada so I buy them when I go over to NY.
#3 Old 12-05-2006, 11:48 PM

I boil it in water.

Sometimes i cut in pieces and stir fry.. add onions and spices..

Light Life seems to be the only brand i have seen around.

#4 Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM

I never cook em. I eat em straight from the package (just like I used to do with regular dogs).

Smart Dogs are the best. hands down.

stay far away from the Quorn brand dogs... :shudder:

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 AM

I boil them. I've tried cooking them a few different ways, and that seems to be the best method.
#6 Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 AM

I think it's the Yves brand that I like (I don't get them often), but normally I just boil them. They're also good on the barbecue.
#7 Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM

I boil or broil/grill.
#8 Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 AM

I boil the smart dogs, because microwaving makes them tough and chewy on the outside (yuck.) so does grilling, really - they dont get the lovely black char, they get.... yellow... yuck, hehe. However I think its the "smart" brand that came up with a grillers version (comes 5 long ones in a package instead of 8) - THOSE I grill over a flame (rubbed first in olive oil) and they come out AWESOME. Those however I think have some egg in them and are not vegan. But for the vegetarians they are the BEST for eating at a BBQ, bring them and everyone will like them. We threw a vegetarian BBQ this summer with grilled marinated portabello mushrooms, veggie kabobs, and veggie burgers and the grillers hot dogs, and everyone said the hot dogs tasted exactly the same as "real" ones. :-)
#9 Old 12-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Fry them with cooking spray until they get nice brown markings.
#10 Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I put slits in them and then fry them in a pan with a bit of oil.

This is how I would do it also.
#11 Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Get your water to a hard rolling boil. Slip in your dogs, then cut the heat completely and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. Perfect every time.

Otherwise, I'd fry them up like meatless does.

And I'm with WR on this one. SmartDogs rule the world.
#12 Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM

#1: Barbeque.

#2: Not-pigs in blankets (using Pillsbury weiner wrap inna can)

#3: Boiled.

Brand: Yves veggie dogs
#13 Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Lightlife for me to. I boil the water then turn off the heat, then drop them in for about 2 or 3 minutes

"Snake Savers"
Venomous & Non-Venomous Snakes Removed & Relocated. Unharmed.
#14 Old 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM

I boil water, turn it off then drop them in as well.

I eat SmartDogs. The best ever!
#15 Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

Is boiling the best method?

And what are your favourite brands?

Thanks!

Smart Dogs Rule!

Earth balance in a pan, slice them a bit, fry em up...nuke my Ezekeil dog rolls, add relish, sauer kraut, ketchup & mustard...YUMMY!!!!

We will boil also, and hate to say it nuke them if not lots of time.
ModVegan likes this.
#16 Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 PM

oven

I just cooked a lightlife dog in a normal oven and it worked great. Maybe a waste of gas, but definitely so much better than cooking in the microwave or boiling–the outside got a little crispy instead of the whole thing being uniformly, monotonously rubbery. I started off at 400 (Farenheit) for about 5 minutes and then 375 for 3 more minutes.
#17 Old 09-19-2016, 02:03 PM

I fill a bowl with water, place the veggie dog in and microwave it for a couple mins. After that i roll it around a bit on a heated skillet. Works like a charm.
#18 Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always grilled them.

Honestly, boiling doesn't sound appetizing at all.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#19 Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Field Roast were the only 'frankfurters' I liked. I don't like them enough to justify their cost.
I had Tofu Pups and cooked them every kind of way before pitching them. Absolutely disgusting, like a pink pencil eraser would taste I imagine.
I had at least one other I didn't like
I do sometimes buy Tofurky Italian sausage at Trader Joes where it costs less.
I do make seitan sausages
#20 Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM

We eat Yves brand here. It's a treat, so we cook them in a frying pan with a bit of vegan butter. They brown nicely!

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#21 Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I typically bake them, at the same time I'm baking frozen french fries to go with them. When I was a kid, corny dogs (a hot dog on a stick, coated with corn meal batter, and deep fried) was a treat. I simplify it, by having the smartdogs with cornbread and mustard as a condiment. Delish.

I use the smartdogs, because they're the only ones I've found that are gluten-free.

Sometimes I cut them up into vegetarian baked beans.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#22 Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Plant Powered

The best veggie dogs I've had were at Dog in the Park in Seattle. I have no clue what brand they are but they were grilled, which I think lends them a nice authentic charred flavour, and better still, you can get them with grilled veggies on top - yum! We also have a cool little local vegan place where the guy who owns it makes his own sausage. You can get them with homemade vegan mac & cheese piled on top *drools* It's AH-mazing!! I would buy them in bulk from him if he sold them.

The commercial brands I've tried all have a very odd texture to them, and I haven't found one I've liked. Yves is OK, and my husband (who is omni) likes them but they have a funny mouth feel to me LOL. I might try frying in a pan with some vegan butter though - that sounds very tempting! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page