Please recommend a Pita bread brand - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM

I've been trying different brands of Pita bread without success. I don't like Trader Joe's because it's too thin and tears too easily. I REALLY don't like the Wild Oats brand; it tastes too doughy and potato-y. I bought a brand called Turlock at Whole Foods which I picked out because it's vegan, and it's AWFUL! It's doughy, and the taste (IMO) is horrendous.

I'm too lazy to make my own pita, at least for the time being. If I have to, I'll keep trying different brands, but I would really appreciate brand recommendations so I don't end up throwing out a lot of bread, both the baked and the financial kinds.

Thank you all.

--------------------------------

Eh, I had to take the word "good" out of the thread title in order for the post to successfully be submitted as a new thread.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2005, 05:45 PM

Words you could have used instead of good: yummy, great, delicious, acceptable, better, superior, your favorite... you are obviously not a wordsmith!

I always get Toufayan at my regular grocery, and I think it's fine. I THINK I recall finding that it was dairy-free.
#3 Old 12-06-2005, 12:22 AM

Thomas's brAND makes REALLY good pita bread! whole wheat :-D
#4 Old 12-06-2005, 01:25 AM

I eat Alexis pita. I think it might be a local brand though. They make regular and whole wheat.
#5 Old 12-06-2005, 09:17 AM

I really like the Food for Life (Ezekiel) pita bread.
#6 Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

Thomas's brAND makes REALLY good pita bread! whole wheat :-D

Did Thomas's buy Sahara?
#7 Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I really like the Food for Life (Ezekiel) pita bread.

They make pita? I've never seen Ezekiel pita.

#8 Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

I like Aladin, but being a local brand that doesn't help you.

Walk into Whole Foods and ask an employee what the best pita bread is. They either know directly or know what sells the most (which highly correlates with which is the best).
#9 Old 12-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Howbout vegan brand/label recommendations for pita in the UK y'all ?.....
#10 Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

They make pita? I've never seen Ezekiel pita.

http://www.foodforlife.com/detail.asp?cat=3&id=72 - 7 grain

or

http://www.foodforlife.com/detail.asp?cat=3&id=70 - Ezekiel

I prefer the 7 grain.
#11 Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Lemme check the local co-op (I'm a member) for the Ezekiel. If I can't find it, maybe they'll special order it for me.

#12 Old 12-06-2005, 03:47 PM

I eat Thomas's Sahara Whole Wheat and it's really good and easy to find. Does anyone know for sure if the mono and di-glycerides in it are veggie-derived? I've been meaning to confirm that, but I'm sure they are.
#13 Old 12-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Did Thomas's buy Sahara?

tyhat's how it looks.. YUMMY AS HECK TOO!
#14 Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 PM

I eat Francis Mediterranian Bakery. The ingredients are: flour, water and yeast. I have the whole wheat brand.
#15 Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Banned

Just Natural . All pita bread is made with water,flour,yeast salt
#16 Old 12-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I bought a brand called Turlock at Whole Foods which I picked out because it's vegan, and it's AWFUL! It's doughy, and the taste (IMO) is horrendous.

the turlock wheat (but not the white) is the only store-bought kind that i like. i love the smell of it. everything else is too tough/dry.
#17 Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM

I just bought the whole grain Turlock pita bread from Whole Foods, and I think it's out of this world.
#18 Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Another fan of Toufayan here.
#19 Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Ugh. I would be happy just to find ANY pita bread at my Whole Foods. I was actually trying to buy some today, the girl in the bread aisle sent me to the bakery, the guy at the bakery sent me to cheese/specialty, and the guy at cheese/specialty tried to send me to the bread aisle. I also checked International, on the off chance it was there, but it was not.

#20 Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Ugh. I would be happy just to find ANY pita bread at my Whole Foods. I was actually trying to buy some today, the girl in the bread aisle sent me to the bakery, the guy at the bakery sent me to cheese/specialty, and the guy at cheese/specialty tried to send me to the bread aisle. I also checked International, on the off chance it was there, but it was not.

I don't have a Whole Foods so I have no idea where it would be and I'm sure each one is set up differently anyways, but a few of my grocery stores carry pita bread in the deli section right near the meat counter. (Although I'm not sure if that is what you meant by the cheese/specialty aisle?).
#21 Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 PM

They aren't the traditional whole pita loaves, but I really like the Kangaroo whole wheat pita pockets: http://kangaroobrands.com/pita-products/breads

They're just the whole pita already cut in half. They have an honest ingredients list and they taste great. Use 'em just about every day for taking my lunch to school. Just stuff it with some black beans and veggies...nothin' finer!
#22 Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't have a Whole Foods so I have no idea where it would be and I'm sure each one is set up differently anyways, but a few of my grocery stores carry pita bread in the deli section right near the meat counter. (Although I'm not sure if that is what you meant by the cheese/specialty aisle?).

Yeah, the cheese/specialty section is the giant deli-like area that is mostly cheese. It also has the olive bar, and some assorted dips/spreads, specialty crackers, etc. It's sort of between meat, prepared foods, and the salad bar.

My grocery shopping run stops at Target (no pita), a local grocery store (one brand of nasty dry pita), and Whole Foods (no one knows where the pita is). I just need to make a run down to the Middle Eastern grocery where they have nice flatbread, which I prefer to the pockets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page