Diazolindinyl & Imidazolidinyl Urea-same thing as Urea? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 PM

I was looking through some makeup and saw these outrageously long names with urea attached to it, and was wondering if anyone knew if they were like urea, which is urine and other bodily fluids from animals (right?) When I tried to look it up, it simply said that it was a preserver of some sort and that it was widely used in cosmetics. It didn't say anything about it coming from an animal though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 PM

They can be animal derived but they can also be synthetic. I'm not sure that there's a way to know without contacting the company. Which brand of makeup was this?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-26-2005, 10:35 PM

Jen's right, they can either be animal derived or synthetic. The company should be able to tell you, and if they can't, then I say err on the side of caution and don't use them.
#4 Old 08-29-2005, 02:06 PM

I found these names on wet n' Wild brand make-up, which I don't think is vegan approved anyways. In fact I don't think I've ever found it in vegan make-up. I usually see the names pop up in shiny or metallic make-up (boo-hoo for me since I LOVE glittery make-up!!)

Alright are the following brands considered vegan make-up (I've been to websites where they were posted as vegan, I just want to make sure)

Ecco Bella

Zuzu Luxe

Freeman Products

Avon(sometimes)

Mary Kay(sometimes)

The Organic Make-up Company(Natural Organic Make-up)

?????? anything else that anyone uses that is great?

Plus, I have a hard time with the glitter thing. Could I just buy some glitter and find some vegan sticky, viscid stuff (vegan make-up glue?) to mix with it so I can wear my big, chunky glitter that I love??

Thanks for the help!
#5 Old 09-10-2005, 11:54 AM

Everyone's right-it can be animal or synthetic. I called Almay cosmetics and the lady told me their urea is synthetic. In fact, all of their makeup is vegan (stearic stuff, amino acids and glycerins are all from plants), except for the products with carmine (eyeshadows and lip products). The do not test on animals either. I use their concealer, powder, blush, deoderant (also vegan, it's hard to find a vegan antiperspirant/deoderant, but this stuff is!), undereye concealar, and mascara. Lol I love their stuff and it's very affordable, especially when it's buy 1 get 1 free!
#6 Old 09-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Urea is simply an organic molecule that can be synthesized from inorganic sources.
#7 Old 09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

Virtually all commercial sources of urea are synthesized from synthetic ammonia, which is synthesized from from air (aerial nitrogen) and natural gas or air and petroleum distillates.

http://www.materials.addr.com/nitrogen.shtml

http://www.materials.addr.com/urethane.shtml

Diazolindinyl urea and Imidazolidinyl urea are common ingredients in cosmetics, emmoliants, hair care products. I don't know what they are except that they are other chemicals compounded with urea. Urea is produced in enormous quantities for making plastics, and plant food. I could easily spread 10 pounds of urea on a 2000 square foot garden so imagine how much farmers might use on 1000 acres. Only tiny amounts of diazolindinyl urea would be used in cosmetics.

Urea is naturally present in the urine of all mammals. Birds produce uric acid, instead. Urea is a waste product of protein metabolism. It is dumped into the blood, then separated out by the kidneys. It is the characterisitc protein of urine, discovered by someone taking a hard look at urine, and therefore named after urine. 100 years ago, urine was the source of urea. After that, Haber Process ammonia became the starting point for producing commercial urea. The fact that it was named after urine does not mean that commercial urea is made from urine. It is not. Nor is lactic acid made from milk, as Peta would have you believe. It just isn't. It can be, but it isn't. Unless you are talking about the lactic acid that gives sour cream its tart taste. But since that is naturally present in sour cream, it would not be listed as an ingredient of sour cream.

Basicly what that means is if you see the word urea in the ingredient list of a product, it would be made from air and fossil fuel. If you bought a pound a kidney pie, it would contain natural urea, but you would not see the word urea in the ingredient list, because the urea would be a natural constituent of the kidney, rather than an ingredient used in making the pie, and therefore would not be be listed separately from "kidney."

Peta has people all confused about this. Yes, urea in your product could be from a natural source -- but if it was, it wouldn't be on the ingredient list. They have people thinking that if it is listed in the ingredient list, it could be from either natural or synthetic sources. This is simply not true. If you see it in the ingredient list, it came from air and fossil fuels.

Missleigh writes
Quote:
Jen's right, they can either be animal derived or synthetic.

Yes, Jen is right, it can be either animal derived or synthetic, but as a practical matter, it never seems to be animal derived. There is just no reason for manufacturers to save animal urine and chemically extract urea from it, if (nearly odorless) urea obtained from synthetic ammonia is astonishing plentiful and cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page