smart dog hot dogs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2005, 01:49 AM

not impressed... anyone know of anything that tastes better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2005, 02:12 AM

This might be better suited for the "Product Reviews" forum. But I don't really eat veggiedogs, the best I've ever tried though was tofupups
#3 Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Administrator

I've only had the Morningstar Farms hot dogs, I thought they were pretty good, not sure if they're vegan though.

The corn dogs and mini corn dogs are excellent but I'm almost positive they contain egg.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#4 Old 06-14-2005, 02:33 AM

I bought some, but have yet to try them.
#5 Old 06-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Banned

How did you cook them?

I thought smart dogs weren't very good until someone showed me the proper way to prepare them: simply boil a pan of water and then remove from the heat. Then add the Smart dogs and wait for a few minutes. That's all. Overcooked Smart Dogs taste chalky and awful. Properly cooked ones taste like hot dogs.
#6 Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 AM

smart dogs

smart dogs have been my favorite out of every fake hot dog. DON'T try to tofu pups. I think they taste like throw up
#7 Old 06-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

How did you cook them?

I thought smart dogs weren't very good until someone showed me the proper way to prepare them: simply boil a pan of water and then remove from the heat. Then add the Smart dogs and wait for a few minutes. That's all. Overcooked Smart Dogs taste chalky and awful. Properly cooked ones taste like hot dogs.

I agree. This method of cooking Smart Dogs makes them taste really good, but If you just toss them in the microwave for too long they become dry and plastic-like. Smart Dogs are my favorite dog substitute.
#8 Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 AM

I usually buy smart dogs. I never boil though, I just grill or fry. I don't know how authentic they taste because I don't remember what real hot dogs taste like.
#9 Old 06-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:

How did you cook them?

Mmmmm that's the best way! They are strange microwaved and grilling is tricky. I just boil em
#10 Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Well, apparently I've been cooking them incorrectly! No wonder I thought they were kind of strange. Not that that has stopped me from eating them for 2 years, but... I look forward to steeping them and seeing how they taste! Maybe I won't have to smother them in sauerkraut any more!
#11 Old 06-14-2005, 12:23 PM

I LOVE Smart dogs! Tons of protein for my weight lifting. Grilled or microwaved for me. Usually 2 -4 at a time with no bread. Especially for my evening snack.
#12 Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 PM

I second...or..eighth....the vote for Smart Dogs! I love em grilled! Just dont' over-do it and they're yummy!
#13 Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 PM

hey you know what? i probably overcooked them in the microwave... because it was like rubbery...
#14 Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 PM

Are their brats any good? Smart Brats? I've never liked hot dogs, I don't know if I'd like them any better if they were Vegan.
#15 Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjennwhoareyou View Post

hey you know what? i probably overcooked them in the microwave... because it was like rubbery...

Sounds like what I was doing wrong.

You can nuke a bowl of water until boiling and then remove from the oven and drop the smart dogs in. Makes a world of difference.
#16 Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 PM

hmm..now I want one..
#17 Old 06-18-2005, 02:58 AM

I used to hate Smart Dogs because I put them in the microwave too. They are like plastic. I really like frying them with a bit of oil until they're crispy on the outside. Microwave with no bowl of water dries them out I guess. Smart Dogs are the best value at the store! All of them are $4 and Smart Dogs has twice as many. That's the main reason I like them... because I'm poor.
#18 Old 06-18-2005, 03:21 AM

Quote:

Sounds like what I was doing wrong.

You can nuke a bowl of water until boiling and then remove from the oven and drop the smart dogs in. Makes a world of difference.

Never ever ever ever boil water in the micro alone. A phenomenon called 'superheating' can happen, and when you take the water out of the micro, it can blow up in your face. It's actually fairly common--

Here's some further info....

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/superheating.html
#19 Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 AM

I followed the directions on the package, and just boiled the agua, turned off the burner and plunked in the Smart Dogs. 2 minutes later, I had yumminess.

#20 Old 06-18-2005, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I followed the directions on the package, and just boiled the agua, turned off the burner and plunked in the Smart Dogs. 2 minutes later, I had yumminess.

They are pretty yoummy....
#21 Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Linda~ View Post

I bought some, but have yet to try them.

Ok, I finally had some Smart Dogs for dinner tonight. I cooked as directed, cut them up and put them in some veggie baked beans with brown rice, and some cornbread. My omni BF had the same, and he liked it.
#22 Old 06-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

smart dogs

smart dogs have been my favorite out of every fake hot dog. DON'T try to tofu pups. I think they taste like throw up

you really know how to make someone *horrified* of trying something.
#23 Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalteacup View Post

Are their brats any good? Smart Brats? I've never liked hot dogs, I don't know if I'd like them any better if they were Vegan.

I love the smart brats! Give 'em a thumbs .
#24 Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 PM

I don't really like tofudogs much, but not because of the taste. I don't recall them tasting bad. It's just that I prefer veggie dogs because I like all of the bits of vegetables in them. Maybe that's gross.
#25 Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM

I like Yves Good Dog the best. Smart Dogs are okay too. They shouldn't be rubbery if you cook them right. Remember that they're all pre-cooked, so you just need to warm them up.
#26 Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 AM

My kids like the Yves Good Dogs ( I think that's what they're called?) and I personally like the Smart Brats (with a good grainy mustard, saurkraut and fried onions - OMG to DIE for!!)...
#27 Old 06-20-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Smart Brats (with a good grainy mustard, saurkraut and fried onions - OMG to DIE for!!)...

Ooooohhh..... That souns so gooooood..... I was raised eating the omni version of that... LOVE saurkraut!!!!
#28 Old 06-20-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

My kids like the Yves Good Dogs ( I think that's what they're called?) and I personally like the Smart Brats (with a good grainy mustard, saurkraut and fried onions - OMG to DIE for!!)...

That's my favorite way to eat them too. The more saurkraut the better.
#29 Old 06-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Banned

They are definitely best just heated in the boiled water. I microwave them every once in a while when in a hurry, and grill them whenever I'm *insane* and forget that this is a very bad thing to do. They come out hard and rubbery.

The smart dogs DO have a "grillers" version but I dont think that its vegan. I think I tried it once and didn't like it as much. I liked the morningstar farms hotdogs the most for tasting like "real" hot dogs, but they have egg in them and have a TON of sodium. I stopped buying them when I found this vegan version. I was looking for a hotdog with lower sodium for my father and the litelife ones are the lowest out of all hotdogs, real or fake - and at over 300mg a dog, its still really high, especially since my father is limited to 750 mgs a day!!!
#30 Old 06-20-2005, 03:08 PM

I tried them all and my favorite is Schneider Oh Naturel Meatless hot dog. I also tried them boiled, microwaved and bbq and they were good everytime

Helene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page